|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis Unveiled?

Default Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis Unveiled?

July 27th, 2008, 04:01
Alrik writes that Kitiara on the German Larian boards has an early copy of the German edition of PC Games magazine, which officially unveils Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (presumably the local title?). I'm told the mag hits the shops next Wednesday, so we should hear of more details soon and no doubt more at the upcoming German GC.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 04:01
I am really looking forward to this, in a sort of hopeful way. For some reason, the first 2 just didn't click for me, and I know they should have. Something about them just felt….clunky. I really can't put my finger on it. Here's hoping.
Santos is offline

Santos

Ass-hat

#2

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 565

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 08:02
I know the feeling Santos. I know they are good games (or at least DD is) but it never really captured me. Perhaps in time I'll revisit but there are so many games on my todo list. None the less I'm still looking forward to more info on this one.
stealth is offline

stealth

Sentinel

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 313

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 08:52
Well I'm looking forward to it. DD was pretty good for its time.

BD wasn't as great though.
Barghest is offline

Barghest

SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 97

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 09:51
Originally Posted by Barghest View Post
Well I'm looking forward to it. DD was pretty good for its time.

BD wasn't as great though.
Well, now that's interesting. I just kind of assumed that the second would be better than the first. Was there a particular reason you feel this way?
Santos is offline

Santos

Ass-hat

#5

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 565

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 11:07
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Well, now that's interesting. I just kind of assumed that the second would be better than the first. Was there a particular reason you feel this way?
It was very buggy, the voice-overs were poorly done, and I just hate randomly generated dungeons. It was an OK game, but not as good as DD.

DD wasn't perfect either.
Barghest is offline

Barghest

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 97

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 11:44
I'll be surprised if it will be as good as the first one.

I guess it will have "bloomy next gen grafix" and lame gameplay.

YouCantCMe

Guest

#7

Posts: n/a

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 13:27
Ego Draconis doesn't make much sense as a local tile, since it's latin…
GhanBuriGhan is offline

GhanBuriGhan

GhanBuriGhan's Avatar
Wose extraordinaire

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,460

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 15:07
Originally Posted by YouCantCMe View Post
I'll be surprised if it will be as good as the first one.

I guess it will have "bloomy next gen grafix" and lame gameplay.

Better than blocky last gen graphic and lame gameplay.
Roi Danton is offline

Roi Danton

Roi Danton's Avatar
Sentinel

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saarbruecken
Posts: 464

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 15:30
Ego Draconis is probably the international title. I seem to remember a rumor from way back when about some kind of shapeshift-into-a-dragon gameplay for Div2. I can't find the source anymore, but I believe it was a report from a developer's expo where Larian was showing off its new engine.
WhatsHisFace is offline

WhatsHisFace

Traveler

#10

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1

Thumbs down 

July 27th, 2008, 17:16
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
… so we should hear of more details soon and no doubt more at the upcoming German GC.
More information.
Ha, what is making you so optimistic about that one!?

Iīd rather say waaaaaiiit a minute!

With the next to being non-existent PR by the Larians up to here and the fact that rather a publisher would run the show there (or at least have the final word on it), i would rather doubt the Larians having time or spending resources on a presence there.

And remember:
As much as we do not a lot about the game in the first place, we also do not know whether they have a publisher at all - because as with anything else the Larians have been staying absolutely mum about that (of course! ).


Ragon, the heretic Mage
Ragon der Magier is offline

Ragon der Magier

Ragon der Magier's Avatar
Watcher

#11

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 64

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 18:34
Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace View Post
I seem to remember a rumor from way back when about some kind of shapeshift-into-a-dragon gameplay for Div2.
Good catch ! I remember this rumor also !

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#12

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,848

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 18:44
The game looks really cool.
Looking forward to it.

Darkmoon

Guest

#13

Posts: n/a

Default BREAKING NEWS: dtp publishing Divinity 2 !!!

July 27th, 2008, 19:32
BREAKING NEWS:

Btw, Kitiara, the author of the original posting just confirmed to us in that same thread what we already had as a rumor a while ago:

As mentioned in the German PC Games preview that is the source of it all, according to her it says that the publisher of "Divinity 2: Ego Drakonis" will be the same one as for knocking-on-the-door "Drakensang":
German based dtp (digital tainment pool) !


Ragon

P.S.: Now whatīs left is s.o. checking the official line-up for Augustīs GC in Leipzig, Germany, whether it would list D2-ED.
And if not, then still hope for some `inofficial line-upī…
Ragon der Magier is offline

Ragon der Magier

Ragon der Magier's Avatar
Watcher

#14

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 64

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 21:33
Originally Posted by Ragon der Magier View Post
BREAKING NEWS:

Btw, Kitiara, the author of the original posting just confirmed to us in that same thread what we already had as a rumor a while ago:

As mentioned in the German PC Games preview that is the source of it all, according to her it says that the publisher of "Divinity 2: Ego Drakonis" will be the same one as for knocking-on-the-door "Drakensang":
German based dtp (digital tainment pool) !


Ragon
Let me correct you here. There was no rumor. I remember quite clearly that Mythos and I didnīt leave much doubt that we already knew it, although we didnīt have a quotable source. So the point isnīt that it was "a rumor" but rather that the Larian community didnīt want to hear it. You guys had the info 11 months ago.

Hereīs a big fat well-deserved "We told you so!"
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#15

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,771

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 22:03
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
although we didnīt have a quotable source.
I believe that's the point.

I think, without a quotable source, it should still be called a "rumor".

What's the best source worth if it isn't quotable and provable ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#16

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,848

Default 

July 27th, 2008, 23:45
Originally Posted by Ragon der Magier View Post
Ha, what is making you so optimistic about that one!?

Iīd rather say waaaaaiiit a minute!
Because that is the way game marketing usually works. You have an official "unveiling" via an exclusive magazine deal just before a major trade show. This is how most of the games work at E3 these days - noone announces during E3 anymore. Look at Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, NWN2: Storm of Zehir etc etc.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#17

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

July 28th, 2008, 02:31
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Let me correct you here. There was no rumor. I remember quite clearly that Mythos and I didnīt leave much doubt that we already knew it, although we didnīt have a quotable source. So the point isnīt that it was "a rumor" but rather that the Larian community didnīt want to hear it. You guys had the info 11 months ago.

Hereīs a big fat well-deserved "We told you so!"
BAH!
Donīt come p***ng on my gate here.

This one time olde Al is 100% correct:
No evidence - no fact!
No fact - no "told you so"!

Whatīs been there?
Just a few barren lines in a bigger press release on golem.de that dtp had signed some Belgian studio for developing an RPG.
Do you know the whole Belgian market and its players?
Could have been anyone.


Bragger!

P.S.: Another question:
Why didnīt you make it an official news bit here back then!?
Seems not only the Larian community wasnīt listening to you… or trusting in your speculations.


Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Because that is the way game marketing usually works. You have an official "unveiling" via an exclusive magazine deal just before a major trade show.
Erm, yes … theoretically.
If there would be something like a "marketing" for "Divinity 2".
Seen any lately… or rather at all?
I only saw a big bad black whole of information for several years.

Iīm not sure whether the mentioned preview now would qualify as real "unveiling".
And it remains to be seen if the Larians come up with the "exclusive magazine deal" later today, when they (hopefully) start their big apologize run in the community.



Ragon, the Mage
Ragon der Magier is offline

Ragon der Magier

Ragon der Magier's Avatar
Watcher

#18

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 64

Default 

July 28th, 2008, 09:39
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Because that is the way game marketing usually works. You have an official "unveiling" via an exclusive magazine deal just before a major trade show. This is how most of the games work at E3 these days - noone announces during E3 anymore. Look at Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, NWN2: Storm of Zehir etc etc.
Exactly. It allows the publisher to use the same material twice. First the mag gets to see it in advance and then itīs used at the show.


This time Larian could have gotten into trouble with their co-publisher if they had announced the preview in advance because it was really meant as an exclusive and a surprise.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#19

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,771

Default 

July 28th, 2008, 09:48
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I think, without a quotable source, it should still be called a "rumor".

What's the best source worth if it isn't quotable and provable ?
In front of a court? A bit but not much.
Itīs more than sufficient for a little between the lines hints about whatīs going on. A hard source doesnīt lose its validity only because we canīt quote it.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#20

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,771
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis Unveiled?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:41.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch