Fallout 3 - CanardPC Q&A Preview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
French site CanardPC has once again teamed with NMA to bring a (translated) Fallout 3 preview via Q&Q, with questions from the community. I'd say the general tone is negative but it is interesting:
Do you have to kill rats?
Yes. Lots. The only dungeon that I went into was infested and the security turrets seemed not to notice them, while it was very aggressive towards me every time I looked at the corner of the corridor. .

Does the AI suck as much as it appears in the gameplay videos?
Yes, unfortunately, it’s one of the main faults of the full version of Fallout 3. The mobs are totally stupid, with NPCs that flee in the direction of their aggressors, enemies that find themselves running on the spot, blocked by a too-low platform ( enabling me to re-arrange their faces during combat), rats that charge you so close as to bump into you then jumping up and down in a vain attempt to cause you harm. It is the one point that Bethesda should be taken to task over.
More information.

Ugh...That sound like Bethesda haven't upgrade the AI system. However i haven't see a rpg developers ever created an excellent combat AI compared to FPS developers.

However i haven't see a rpg developers ever created an excellent combat AI compared to FPS developers.

Interesting, this hiatus. Or schism.

What, exactly, is a good AI anyway? I don't think I've ever seen one, except in certain strategy games, and that's a bit different than AIs you meet face to face.

I had never understood why reviewers always focus so much on AI. To me it seemed as just an excuse to criticise something (And it still seems at times). But my perspective on this changed a bit after I had played S.T.A.L.K.E.R., because it had very brilliant AI. Though that is perhaps also the only game whose AI have impressed me.

But Bethesda being unable to program a good AI doesn't exactly surprise me.... Radiant AI.

The AI in Stonekeep made NPCs go to hidden stashes of healing potions - that was great ahead of its time !

Best AI, ever... in any game during the history of PC gaming...

Descent to Undermountain...

**snicker, snicker** :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom