|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - Molyneux rates it 9/10

Default Fable 2 - Molyneux rates it 9/10

September 3rd, 2008, 00:53
Peter Molyneux restrained himself here and only awarded Fable 2 with a cautious 9/10 in this interview snip:
Speaking in an interview with CVG's paper cousin, Xbox World 360, Molyneux says he hasn't made "the same mistakes I made in the past," with the second Fable.

"Black & White, The Movies, Dungeon Keeper, pretty much every game I've ever done has had interesting features thrown in to the pot without worrying what the flavour was like," he said.

"I'd rate it a 9 out of 10," Molyneux added, when asked if he'd fulfilled his original vision with Fable II.

"It's the best, most complete game I've ever worked on. The look is perfect, the interface is fantastic. It's a role-playing game, but where are all the f***ing icons? Aren't you supposed to be cluttering the screen up with mini-maps and the like? Not us.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 3rd, 2008, 00:53
Man, the guy has no shame.

Sergius64

Watchdog

September 3rd, 2008, 00:56
How dare you! He taught me how to love.

Santos

Ass-hat

September 3rd, 2008, 07:57
Peter rating his own game 9/10..well thats unexpected

Originally Posted by Santos View Post
How dare you! He taught me how to love.
Please say no more

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

September 3rd, 2008, 09:31
He was lying. Obviously he'd rate it 10/10, but he lowered it to 9/10, so he wouldn't sound arrogant..

Indeed.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

September 3rd, 2008, 20:11
Every company hypes their games during production and prior to release. Don't really understand why you all see his comments as anything different from that.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

September 3rd, 2008, 21:02
How long does this "most complete game" take to play?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

September 3rd, 2008, 21:15
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Every company hypes their games during production and prior to release. Don't really understand why you all see his comments as anything different from that.
Hype is a common practice in the industry but it's nonetheless curious to see someone continuously boast their games repeatedly, fail to deliver on his promises, yet still being treated as someone who can do no wrong. This isn't meant to disregard his work in the past - Molyneux deserves some recognition for it - but when the media viciously attacks small developers for games for which they try and fail to deliver, but gloss over Molyneux when he has been doing the exact same recently, and even goes to claim "all RPGs are shit", it's fairly revealing of why he gets such a reception.

~RP.

guy

September 3rd, 2008, 21:51
JemyM rate his comment on this thread 8.2/10

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

September 3rd, 2008, 23:52
Originally Posted by guy View Post
Hype is a common practice in the industry but it's nonetheless curious to see someone continuously boast their games repeatedly, fail to deliver on his promises, yet still being treated as someone who can do no wrong. This isn't meant to disregard his work in the past - Molyneux deserves some recognition for it - but when the media viciously attacks small developers for games for which they try and fail to deliver, but gloss over Molyneux when he has been doing the exact same recently, and even goes to claim "all RPGs are shit", it's fairly revealing of why he gets such a reception.

~RP.
Then the problem is the journalists, not Peter Molyneux. Actually given the history of the guy, rating his own game *only* 9/10 is actually a huge improvement and a step in the right direction over his previous overgrown ego. 5 years ago he'd had rated himself 15/10… at least.
I personally don't care how nice or arrogant developers are as long as their games entertain me, just as music actually, never cared to learn what's the life(style) and/or political ideas of people/bands I listen to.
The only thing Peter Molyneux funny yet arrogant attitude has taught me is not give any value to previews/pre-release interviews, it didn't make me hate the guy though.

Edit: also if you reread carefully the interview, the question was something like "have you fulfilled your original vision with Fable II". To what he answers "I'd rate it 9/10" which I think actually means given how the question was phrased "I only managed to deliver 90% of what I wanted to put in Fable 2 back when it was just a concept in my head/in preproduction". He didn't actually say "if I were a reviewer I'd rate the game 9/10".

But then the journalist because he knows it'd make a catchier title calls the whole article "Molyneux rates Fable 2 9/10" which anyone interprets out of context as "he rates the whole game 9/10".

Yeah I'm starting to hate journalists more and more, and dislike Molyneux less and less.

Now I don't know how 90% implementation of what was originally planned ranks in industry standards, but really it means nothing. A dev could ship a game with 100% of what he wanted to put in it and the game would still be awful. Another dev can deliver only 40% of what he wanted to do and yet the game might turn out to be a true gem.

All in all, that was a stupid question that means nothing from the journalist, an ambiguous answer subject to reinterpretation from Molyneux, and a very smart move from CVG on how to "market" that article to make it sound more than it actually is.
Last edited by Hedek; September 4th, 2008 at 00:24.

Hedek

Watchdog

September 4th, 2008, 00:18
If you'll note, I'm neither defending nor attacking Molyneux - merely pointing out that given the hype he injects into his projects, ranging from hyperbolic to hysterical, it's understandable why some object to his antics. Of course, you're fine with it. Others are not. And also of course, the interviewer clearly exploited Peter's enthusiastic persona to later cause some ruckus over such a rating. That's standard practice too, and a terrible one at that.

Nonetheless, it is regrettable that when Molyneux claims all RPGs are shit people keep quiet. If it was a random comment from an anonymous guy over at the Codex, it would be a riot

that guy again

September 4th, 2008, 15:51
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
JemyM rate his comment on this thread 8.2/10
ROFL !

That comment made my day !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 4th, 2008, 18:07
Is the first Fable worth a bargain bin price?

Zaleukos

Bum

September 4th, 2008, 18:23
Originally Posted by Zaleukos View Post
Is the first Fable worth a bargain bin price?
Only if you like console games and/or you're less than 16yo.

Hedek

Watchdog

September 4th, 2008, 19:02
I actually enjoyed it, as a light-weight action RPG. Don't expect a world the size of M&M, or PS:T writing, and it'll be an okay experience. Fighting is certainly not very challenging, but fun nonetheless. The game world has a decent atmosphere, and you do meet a few interesting NPCs.

All in all, I feel it's worth a shot if you have some time on your hands.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

September 4th, 2008, 22:41
I won't even look at Fable 2….I learned my lesson after Fable.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 4th, 2008, 23:56
Fable 1 sold a few million units. The hype worked even as feature after feature was removed.

To be fair he's giving it a 9/10 to what he originally envisioned for it, not for the quality of the game. For that he turns it up to 11.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - Molyneux rates it 9/10