|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Wizardry 8

Default Wizardry 8

October 3rd, 2014, 17:20
Wizardry 8 is an epic fantasy RPG that picks up where Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant left off. You may recall that all hell had broken loose at the end of Wizardry 7. The Dark Savant had taken flight with a device called the Astral Dominae, an incredibly powerful artifact containing the secret of life itself. Following him are two powerful races, the T'Rang and the Umpani, as well as your own brave party of adventurers. Everyone is headed to Dominus, a world on the cusp of the Cosmic Circle, birthplace of the Astral Dominae and home of the Cosmic Lords. Many paths will converge on Dominus, and many long-hidden secrets will be revealed.

More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 3rd, 2014, 17:20
RPGWatch Steam Curation:
The last game in the Wizardry 6, 7, 8 trilogy - challenging turn-based combat game MUST PLAY for every true CRPG fan - two thumps up!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

December 3rd, 2014, 17:23

Wizardry 8

Classification: CRPG

Design: Gritty, High Fantasy, Sci-fi, W-RPG
Theme: Good vs. Evil
Setting: Alternate World, Medieval, Futuristic
Combat Style: Turn-based
Reward System: Experience, Training
Play Style: Single-player
Point of View: 1st-person
Color Palette: Realistic
Control: Full Control
Voice Acting: Partially Voiced
Character Backstory: Free-form
Playtime: Over 60 hours
Funding model: Publisher

Spoiler – Complete CRPG analysis for Wizardry 8

This fact sheet was created using CRPG Analyzer 1.01 Beta.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; December 4th, 2014 at 09:29.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

December 3rd, 2014, 18:34
I don't don't need no stinkin analysis to tell me that.

sakichop

SasqWatch

December 3rd, 2014, 18:45
What, you like CRPGs but no stats?

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

December 3rd, 2014, 18:48
I don't get those graphcs.. what do they mean ?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

+1:

December 3rd, 2014, 19:56
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
I don't get those graphcs.. what do they mean ?
They are a graphical representation of the amount of CRPG elements in the game (see spoiler tag; they are also referred to as "Nice-to-Have elements") and they show you which of the three main areas the focus lies on.

Essentially, big triangles mean lots of CRPG elements in the areas the triangles point to. Classic adventures for example would be very small in "Character Development" and "Combat".
This is all a result of our eternal quest for the answer to the question "What is an RPG" or more specifically, "is game X a CRPG?".

So you have three main areas that make up a CRPG (roleplay):
- Character Development
- Story
- Exploration

Combat is a meta category that is related to and affected by these three categories:
- Units refers to how much character stats and skills are used in combat.
- Environment refers to how much "Exploration", i.e. terrain, danger zones etc. plays a role in combat
- Scenarios refer to how much combat affects or is affected by story elements, like what are the goals, etc.

"Gameplay" describes the type of gameplay in each area. For example, choice in Character Development means how much you can customize your character, Interactivity means how you can sort of interact with stats and abilities (this one makes more sense in terms of "interactive environment" or "interactive story"), Immersion is about how much sense everything makes and how invested you can become.

All that said, the graphs are just icing on the cake. The actual cake is the first line: Wizardry 8 is, for all intents and purposes, a CRPG. It may be easy to say in this case, but not so easy in borderline cases — I guess we all have seen one or two discussions about what a CRPG is.

And it allows us to better compare games. This is from Icewind Dale, for example, a "linear CRPG":

Last edited by Arhu; December 3rd, 2014 at 20:25.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

December 4th, 2014, 06:13
"Color Palette: Realistic"

Well… for the time.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

December 4th, 2014, 06:26
You underbid the gameplay hours by 20 or so on average and the upper end for someone that does everything (double agent + easter eggs) should probably be over 100 hours. Heck, according to Steam I'm sitting at 30 hours on my run for Felipepepe and I'm between 1/3 and 1/2 thru right now. My runs, while complete, tend to be quicker than average, too, since I know how to optimize my travels. 60-120 hours seems much more reasonable to me. You'd have to skip a lot of content to complete in 40 hours.

Beyond that, excellent report.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Division Champs! / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

December 4th, 2014, 09:29
Zloth: Heh. It's just colors that I'd call realistic though, not polygon count.

Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
You underbid the gameplay hours by 20 or so on average (..)
Thanks for the correction. For gameplay length I always have to consult gamefaqs [
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/374906-wizardry-8 ] because I have no idea, and it said ~55.7 hours (voted by 15 people). Anyway, I trust your judgment on this, o great Wizard VIII.

Last edited by Arhu; December 4th, 2014 at 10:07.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

December 4th, 2014, 09:35
Another good source for game lengths in general is this one here (link goes to Wiz 8 page):

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=11228

Moriendor

Spielkind

+1:

December 5th, 2014, 16:48
Is there a section in the analysis tool for recommended mods? I generally play everything vanilla, but Wizfast is about as close to "mandatory mod" as you'll ever get and that probably bears mentioning in your report somehow. I imagine you could get agreement on a few mandatory mods for other games, too, like NWN, ToEE, and the Elder Scrolls series, so it's not a situation unique to Wiz8.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Division Champs! / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

December 5th, 2014, 17:05
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Is there a section in the analysis tool for recommended mods?
Not yet, but we could add an entry in "Fun Features" and perhaps show it more prominently than the other fun features, if there are recommended mods. We could also use a conclusion text field for some custom last words.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Wizardry 8