|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » World War II Online - Unity Engine Upgrade Progress

Default World War II Online - Unity Engine Upgrade Progress

October 31st, 2008, 05:09
The Rats have posted an update on the progress of the Unity engine upgrade they are performing. The release is "definately 2009":
How is this upgrade best described and how will effect a player's game experience? The goal is to improve game performance while making the code team more productive.
"Were not just talking about better FPS were also talking about the ability of our dev team to integrate new features with out breaking things. Were talking about taking disparate parts of code and making them one defined module. Were talking about rebuilding code bases to get rid of errors," wrote GOPHUR.
The upgrade will result in using some of the performance gains being converted into new or upgraded visuals. We plan on implementing the newest version of IDV's "Speedtree" library which contains higher resolution and more detailed trees. Players will see new version of special effects such as water, smoke and explosions. There are even plans to upgrade our infantry with rag doll physics.
More information.

Asbjoern

N'wah

October 31st, 2008, 05:09
!!! World War 2 Online is still alive?? I thought that game closed shop less than a year after release!

Darkest Nights Ever (at least at launch)

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

October 31st, 2008, 12:01
WWII Online is actually one of the most exciting games I know. Not in terms of gameplay but in terms of prospects. It could be so much more than it is now if the developers just had the funds to invest in the game.

They are preparing to launch WWIIOL in China, which could potentially be a good thing, since that might bring the needed funds.

Steam | Google

Asbjoern

N'wah

October 31st, 2008, 13:10
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
!!! World War 2 Online is still alive?? I thought that game closed shop less than a year after release!

Darkest Nights Ever (at least at launch)
Alive? Ive played it on/off since 2001. The squad I joined seven years ago is still alive and well www.lagus.org. WW2OL has been updated numerous times during all these years but this unity thing is the biggest thing ever.

WW2OL is full FPS/SIM style PVP (more like GVG) game with dynamic moving front on a map that features moving divisions / brigades that player commanders can move around.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

HomelyRebel

October 31st, 2008, 13:51
… a game I would never join …

Sorry, I'm biased.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » World War II Online - Unity Engine Upgrade Progress