|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The 26 Best RPGs @ GamePro

Default The 26 Best RPGs @ GamePro

November 10th, 2008, 17:15
I doubt any casual gamer would ever include Planescape: Torment in a list. Or bother with lists, anyway. Unless he read something about it on the internet and wanted to make it sound all hardcore like and stuffs.
Mainstreaming gaming sites have plenty of lists. My guess is that torment was propably added to the list by a pure chance.

Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
I disagree with your assessment of who belongs here, though. I'm interested in both areas of gaming.
The fact that somone is hc rpg fan doesnt mean that he cant enjoy rpgs meant for casual crowds too. As for casuals to enjoy hc rpgs - thats rare.

In general I dont think that rpg is a very popular genre in first place anyways. In mmorpgs roleplaying is limited even in the "official" rpg servers. Singleplayer rpgs sell better if they are more than just rpgs - if they include gaming elements that are more to the mainstream's taste.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; November 10th, 2008 at 17:25.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

November 10th, 2008, 18:05
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
The list might be based on what casual players think about RPGs. The people in here dont belong to that group. I doubt any mainstream player would even bother to register into any rpg site.
I must agree.

I see RPGWatch as kind of an "literature circle" among other gaming sites.

To me, this is something good, because I prefer intelligent, sophisticated discussions.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 10th, 2008, 18:14
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I must agree.

I see RPGWatch as kind of an "literature circle" among other gaming sites.

To me, this is something good, because I prefer intelligent, sophisticated discussions.
Me to
I can understand some casual gamers to think Diablo is a RPG but POKEMON?Even for casual gamers they dont understand what RPGs are.I think they added BG and PS:T just to satisfy us

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

November 10th, 2008, 18:30
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Great guns, Suikoden III beating out Oblivion, Planescape: Torment, and any Baulders title??? It had some really original ideas and was worth the price but the ranking was far too high.
Well, although I disagree with lots of entries in the list, I'm one that has Suikoden 3 in his personal top 5 RPGs. (Gladius, PS:T, BG2 and KoToR being the other 4). Remember I said my 'personal' top 5. Although I agree FO1, 2 and 3 are great games and great RPGs, I just don't like the whole open-world style for some reason.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

November 11th, 2008, 00:02
In 1998, Bioware set the RPG world ablaze with its AD&D based dungeon romp, Baldur's Gate
given that my number one complaint about BG was that it didn't have a single proper dungeon (not counting what came in the expansion pack), I'd say the writer is all kinds of fail.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

November 11th, 2008, 11:09
I would be insulted, Thaurin, because it came from a so-called serious game site, with actual reviewers. I don't care if some random guy doesn't know up from down, like the comments at imdb/various forums/etc.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 11th, 2008, 23:59
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
As expected, there we go again with the irrational name-calling. Such an emotional involvement over something so unimportant.

Incidentally, I quite like bloom, thank you very much.
Bloom is for barbie fun house only Don't get me wrong… I quite like games that looks good but BG2 was released in 2000, and oblivion was released much after that! That's not a fair comparison! And quite frankly… Im getting sick of games that "just" look good. Nothing else. Just pretty.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The 26 Best RPGs @ GamePro