|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN 2: Storm of Zehir - Release Date Discussion

Default NWN 2: Storm of Zehir - Release Date Discussion

November 12th, 2008, 11:03
I wonder if this is the last true AD&D based party-driven computer roleplaying game by a big-budget game dev company? Even if the game is full of obligatory romance sub-plots with whining, traumatized & needy half-elven sluts that act and talk like thirteen-year-olds, I am so buying - and so loving this game.

Just gimme tactical combat with a full party, a nice high-fantasy plotline, some interesting places with some cool atmosphere and NPC's and I'm fine. Oh.. and beholders, dragons, wizard towers and some planetravel etc thank you very much.

Of course, if they decide to write a jaw-droppingly excellent plot like in torment - with actual CHARACTERS, I'm fine with that too

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

November 12th, 2008, 11:44
Originally Posted by Zakhary View Post
I wonder if this is the last true AD&D based party-driven computer roleplaying game by a big-budget game dev company? Even if the game is full of obligatory romance sub-plots with whining, traumatized & needy half-elven sluts that act and talk like thirteen-year-olds, I am so buying - and so loving this game.

Just gimme tactical combat with a full party, a nice high-fantasy plotline, some interesting places with some cool atmosphere and NPC's and I'm fine. Oh.. and beholders, dragons, wizard towers and some planetravel etc thank you very much.

Of course, if they decide to write a jaw-droppingly excellent plot like in torment - with actual CHARACTERS, I'm fine with that too
I think you've been slightly misled somewhere!

SoZ is not AD&D, it's D&D. It has no romance, no needy half-elven sluts that talk like 13yr olds, and it certainly doesn't have anything like a torment plot. This is old school D&D adventuring, and I can't wait!

kalniel

SasqWatch

November 12th, 2008, 11:49
"In 1977, the game was split into two versions: the simpler Dungeons & Dragons and the more complex Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (abbreviated as AD&D or ADnD). AD&D 2nd Edition was published in 1989. In 2000, the simpler version of the game was discontinued and the complex version was renamed simply Dungeons & Dragons with the release of its 3rd Edition"

Yeah, well. The name AD&D stuck with me, propably due to excessive amounts of Baldur's Gate II.

No romance at all? You sure?

"Players will create the primary four members of the party, although NPCs, called cohorts, may also join, and the character can swap out the four members of the party for other player-created characters at any tavern."

Zakhary

Noble Savage

November 12th, 2008, 11:54
Yeah, you were right. No romances:

"
In Storm of Zehir, we intend to take interaction to a new level. One way we are doing that is reducing the amount of lengthy un-interactive scenes and adding maximum reactivity to conversations. Cohorts help us to achieve this goal. Though they lack complex conversations of their own, and none of them will be love interests, they offer special responses in conversations that the player can choose, or not. The end result is that cohorts always give you more choices rather than sometimes “hijacking” and taking away choices.
"

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view….Detail&id=333

This isn't a Baldur's Gate -like game. No way. It's and Icewind Dale -like game.
Luckily, I love the Icewind Dale games !

Zakhary

Noble Savage

November 12th, 2008, 12:26
I don't think it will be that much like Icewind Dale either. You will probably see quite a lot more roleplaying (mixed skill uses and whatnot) in the game, as well as the open exploration.

Sort of like Darklands meets Icewind Dale maybe? Heh.

Starwars

Watchdog

November 12th, 2008, 13:51
Originally Posted by Zakhary View Post
Yeah, you were right. No romances:

"
In Storm of Zehir, we intend to take interaction to a new level. One way we are doing that is reducing the amount of lengthy un-interactive scenes and adding maximum reactivity to conversations. Cohorts help us to achieve this goal. Though they lack complex conversations of their own, and none of them will be love interests, they offer special responses in conversations that the player can choose, or not. The end result is that cohorts always give you more choices rather than sometimes “hijacking” and taking away choices."
On one hand, no romances is great news. But "lack complex conversations of their own" sounds like suck to me. I liked the first IWD for what it was, but I never replayed it more than once. There's only so much you can do to keep interest with just combat alone, and it's one reason King's Bounty has lost me—the absolute lack of anything resembling a gripping story and character personality.

Oh well, we'll know in a few days whether SoZ is any good.

Essaliad

Sentinel

November 12th, 2008, 14:35
If the NPC conversations are good, I can do without good intra-party conversations.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

November 12th, 2008, 15:25
I found the intra party conversations in MoTB rather spoilt by the attribute bonuses one got for telling them what they wanted to hear, won't really bother me if they're left out.

21st November release in the UK seemingly, hopefully with mysteries of westgate following soon after

Benedict

SasqWatch

November 12th, 2008, 23:22
Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
Too charming or "plain annoying" compared to what? Next to Bioware characters, they're pretty well-adjusted people. Does the fact that Gann doesn't need your PC to validate his emotions bother you?
That is YOUR opinion not mine. I found them so and that is my opinion. And no it doesnt bother me that Gann doesnt need my PC coz I can simply kick him out of party. And in my opinion NPCs from BG2 was far better. So stfu thanx

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN 2: Storm of Zehir - Release Date Discussion