|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Pushed to Dec 5th?

Default Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Pushed to Dec 5th?

November 15th, 2008, 02:46
The recent Gold announcement for Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods nominated a Nov 21st release but almost simultaneous with the email from my preorder explaining a delay to December 5th comes this from Eurogamer (same source as the Gothic 4 piece):
We will, however, be treated to Gothic 3 expansion Forsaken Gods "in a few weeks", according to the spokesperson - retailers interpret this as 5th December.
Neither are official sources but retailers are often accurate this late in the process.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 15th, 2008, 02:46
Are you going to post a review for this game?

northreign

SkyPirate

November 15th, 2008, 04:26
All I know is that while I could pre-order the 'gold' version of G3 (incl Forsaken Gods) I couldn't pre-order the expansion by itself.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 15th, 2008, 04:49
@Northreign; Yes, I'm quite keen to test this one.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 15th, 2008, 12:32
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
A test would be cool. Normally I would buy anything with the words Gothic in it, but I'm skeptical of the new developer.

Roi Danton

Sentinel

November 15th, 2008, 16:18
I think many of us are champing at the bit on this. I couldn't find another physical retailer, so I have no idea when I will actually be able to get mine.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 15th, 2008, 16:25
It's not like I'd be playing it any time soon….. way too many good games right now, and I still want to go back and finish Gothic 3 anyways.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 15th, 2008, 16:38
The expansion will be based on Xardas's way right?

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

November 15th, 2008, 20:32
Gothic 3 got borked about halfway through the game because the games balance was crap, lots of bugs and it just didn't seem to have any reason to continue to the end.

Major dissapointment.

rune_74

SasqWatch

November 15th, 2008, 22:43
Try playing it with Community Patch 1.6 or wait for 1.7 the game is much better than the unpatched version

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

November 16th, 2008, 05:09
Originally Posted by Kostaz View Post
Try playing it with Community Patch 1.6 or wait for 1.7 the game is much better than the unpatched version
By the way, is there any word on when the 1.7 patch will come out? Weren't it supposed to be released before the expansion (or something like that)?

I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me there.

Dungeon Tales

Dantre

Watchdog

November 16th, 2008, 06:55
i'm not surprised that the release date has been pushed to early December. the previous date of November was optimistic given that the recent preview was still full of glitches.

• Intel C2D E4500 @2.20GHz • Kingston 2GB RAM (DDR2 667) • MSI NX 9800GT (512MB DDR3)

lanux128

Sentinel

November 16th, 2008, 09:05
Originally Posted by Dantre View Post
By the way, is there any word on when the 1.7 patch will come out? Weren't it supposed to be released before the expansion (or something like that)?
I think I've read in Jowood forums that they wont make it before the expansion ,I'm not sure thought .At least I hope it will be out before 2009.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

November 16th, 2008, 09:41
Originally Posted by lanux128 View Post
i'm not surprised that the release date has been pushed to early December. the previous date of November was optimistic given that the recent preview was still full of glitches.
Yes, but remember the game has already gone Gold (at least, according to their public announcements) so this is just a distribution timing thing, not a still-working-on-the-game thing.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 16th, 2008, 11:35
…. so this is just a distribution timing thing, not a still-working-on-the-game thing.
I won΄t bet on it.
On the same day of the announcement, that G3FG went gold, it leaked out that there will be a release patch.

November 16th, 2008, 22:19
The German version is seemingly still on track for a November 21 release so it doesn't seem overly likely that they are delaying it to get their act together on the release patch. Maybe the delay of the English version is simply due to a manufacturing/logistics issue. Who knows? Could also be that Eurogamer got something wrong. They mention "Ancaria" in the news article as the world of Gothic but last I checked Ancaria was the world of Sacred .

Anyway, I'm absolutely convinced that this expansion is going to be a proper disaster. Reasons for that firm conviction being the buggy as hell original engine, the poor track record of the Indian developer (the latest The Guild 2 add-on -made by them- seems to be a proper disaster, too), the poor state of the game as per previous showings, the very short development time, the indication of a release patch, the low price target (expansions are usually sold for ~EUR 30.00 not ~20.00 like Forsaken Gods), the lack of any greater scale advertising or exclusive previews in the German press like JoWooD usually did/does for their flagship brand. Seriously, this one smells like fail all over…

Yes, the 1.7 CP was originally estimated to be finished before the release of the expansion but it seems like the CPT decided somewhere along the way to achieve a few rather ambitious goals with 1.7 (due to 1.7 being the final CP and all that). They are keeping the contents of the patch under very tight wraps. No one but them really knows exactly what's going to be included. All that is known so far is that they were able to implement sounds for the drawing/sheathing of weapons and that they managed to make the AI attack in packs/groups instead of only a single enemy attacking at a time. Sounds pretty modest…
But who knows? From reading some of their posts you could get the impression as if they got a big, fat ace up their sleeves.. but then again if anyone mentions any big scale changes (like the combat system) they immediately dampen the optimism. Thus it's very hard to tell what 1.7 is really all about.

Moriendor

Spielkind

November 16th, 2008, 23:58
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
Yes, the 1.7 CP was originally estimated to be finished before the release of the expansion but it seems like the CPT decided somewhere along the way to achieve a few rather ambitious goals with 1.7 (due to 1.7 being the final CP and all that). They are keeping the contents of the patch under very tight wraps. No one but them really knows exactly what's going to be included. All that is known so far is that they were able to implement sounds for the drawing/sheathing of weapons and that they managed to make the AI attack in packs/groups instead of only a single enemy attacking at a time. Sounds pretty modest…
AI attacking in packs would change the combat dynamics quite a bit, I suspect they have to work a bit on tuning that.

Zaleukos

Bum

November 17th, 2008, 04:46
Yes, but remember the game has already gone Gold (at least, according to their public announcements) so this is just a distribution timing thing, not a still-working-on-the-game thing.
for the good of the game, i hope that it is a logistic problem but i'm still bracing myself for any eventual disappointment.

• Intel C2D E4500 @2.20GHz • Kingston 2GB RAM (DDR2 667) • MSI NX 9800GT (512MB DDR3)

lanux128

Sentinel

November 17th, 2008, 17:49
Well, acc. to my local dealer pcfun.de the German version is already available as of saturday, Nov. 15th!

Garrett

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

November 17th, 2008, 19:48
Hm, that should've been 2 days ago … I haven't been in electronic shops since the Beginning of the last week … So I can't say …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Pushed to Dec 5th?