|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Which is the best free single player rpg game ?

Default Which is the best free single player rpg game ?

January 21st, 2009, 04:51
I badly want an rpg game which is not online.. i mean single player.. which is the best one i can download for free?

cyberfriend

January 21st, 2009, 07:26
If you have Dungeon Siege, you can download Lazarus for free.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

January 21st, 2009, 11:12
Betrayel at Krondor is availiable free if you do not mind outdated graphics. It is not only one of the best free games you could get online, but one of the best RPGS ever made. You can download it from my website www.free-addicting-games.com
I also have other free RPG's reviewed there.

Tower of the Sorcerer, and dark disciples are also nice ones availiable there.

It is really about time I updated that website how come I am too busy and never have enough time.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 21st, 2009, 12:25
Same for Ultima IV - and there are tools and conversions to make it easy to play on WinXP.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 21st, 2009, 12:47
http://www.reloaded.org/
http://www.acid-play.com/
http://jcrpg.blogspot.com/
http://adom.de/adom/roguelike.php3

Acid Play and Abandonia Reloaded both have a decent selection of free games, while ADOM is among the best rogue-likes around IMO. JCRPG is an in development Java-based RPG, you can download the current version and check it out.

I don't like to claim something as the best, because even my own tastes are so random that "best" can change with my mood. If I want to play it, U4 would fit at times, while Warrior's Tale might fit when I'm in a different mood. However, ADOM always works because you can eat RAW BLOODY MEAT!

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

January 21st, 2009, 12:52
Looks like a spammer to me, look the sig.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

January 21st, 2009, 13:19
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Looks like a spammer to me, look the sig.
Definitely - all of his posts are like this - but hey, it isn't the worst topic

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 31st, 2009, 13:34
I am looking for latest version of Dark Disciples (3.6 if I remember correctly). The official site is down. All other sites have only links to official site that are broken now. I managed to find and old version (2.5) on some polish site but I want to play the latest version.
There should also be Dark Disciples II if I remember correctly. Can`t find it anywhere.

Can someone help me with this two or at least with part one.

Dark Savant

Sentinel

January 31st, 2009, 15:30
Dark Disciples? HotU has an entry for it. http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4783
However, as typical for HotU, the download link is broken.

Found some links here and there, but Google has decided to flag EVERY site as malware. Including the rpgcodex, which I used to visit long ago; and another site that I've visited several times looking for a decent MMORPG.

*edit* for fun I entered "Google" into Google… their own website is listed as malware. Can't find a contact page, as it keeps giving me a server not found error when going past the main search page. Use a competent search engine.

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

January 31st, 2009, 15:34
Not rpg but excellent free fantasy turn based strategy:

Battle for Wesnoth

Classic and addictive.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 5th, 2009, 14:47
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Not rpg but excellent free fantasy turn based strategy:

Battle for Wesnoth

Classic and addictive.
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
. You can download it from my website www.free-addicting-games.com
Both look good, thank you

Benedict

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2009, 18:41
Hope you enjoy,Benedict. I spent months playing Wesnoth, and the only thing wrong with it is that there's not enough of it. Fortunately, my memory is such that I can let a few months elapse and play all the campaigns over again as f they're brand new.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 9th, 2009, 13:30
Hope you enjoy,Benedict. I spent months playing Wesnoth, and the only thing wrong with it is that there's not enough of it. Fortunately, my memory is such that I can let a few months elapse and play all the campaigns over again as f they're brand new.
Enjoying it a lot so far, there's a lot of depth to the gameplay and it's quite interesting having the incentives of transferring troops & cash from earlier scenarios.

Thank you for the recommendation

Benedict

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2009, 16:14
Glad you're digging it. I found it interesting that I paid good money for a lot of games that year that put me to sleep(MotB, for instance), and one of the ones I enjoyed most was freeware. No DRM or anything. What a concept.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 10th, 2009, 01:02
Yeah, most of what I play regularly (DF, ADOM, etc…) is all freeware titles. Then comes independently developed and published titles. Finally, comes Gran Turismo 4, then the rest is commercial…

Whats really bad, is most of the commercial stuff I play a lot is old DOS games… the newest game I've gotten into is the original Call of Duty and it's expansion, United Offensive. I doubt I put 20 hours a year into new big time publishers' stuff anymore.

azraelck

Me Grimlock

February 10th, 2009, 15:06
Glad you're digging it. I found it interesting that I paid good money for a lot of games that year that put me to sleep(MotB, for instance), and one of the ones I enjoyed most was freeware. No DRM or anything. What a concept.
For all that we on here laud detailed branching plots with choices & consequences and for all that developers chase the latest graphical upgrade, nothing's a substitute for gameplay.

Still surprised you didn't enjoy MotB though, the gameplay & interface & so on weren't great but it was nice to get a decent atmosphere & storyline.

Benedict

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2009, 17:05
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
For all that we on here laud detailed branching plots with choices & consequences and for all that developers chase the latest graphical upgrade, nothing's a substitute for gameplay.

Still surprised you didn't enjoy MotB though, the gameplay & interface & so on weren't great but it was nice to get a decent atmosphere & storyline.
One of these days I"m sure I'll go back, as I've read enough of other people's thoughts on the game to think I probably would enjoy it if I persevered. I really really hate the engine, though, and I have to get past that inertia I feel for the whole biowarean world of NWN, as I didn't particularly like NWN 1 either—-but as I say, someday I plan on a marathon playthrough of all three NWN2 efforts. Maybe Dragon Age will put me in the zone.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 10th, 2009, 19:57

Well, not necessarily freeware, but so far I've gotten more enjoyment out of playing Ultima VI than I've gotten out of MotB. I keep alternating between the two. I just began chapter 2 and it still hasn't really grabbed my attention.

I love the gameplay and interface (loved it in the OC as well), it's the atmosphere and storyline that aren't grabbing me! The world seems very small, at least so far. For instance, since my PC is not a rogue, I don't have a true rogue to pick locks. None of the NPC's I've added have the knock spell and in level ups I haven't been able to get it for them.

No worries I thought, there is the familiar that can pick locks, but turns out he's only so-so with it. The only way to get him higher is with Cat's Grace, but I've only found one scroll at one of the dealers in the main town, so far. There are a couple doors in the Death God Vault that even with Cat's Grace, he can't open.

I'm used most of my skill point to try to get the open lock skill high enough to be serviceable with one of my NPCs, so maybe later in the game I can go back. However, I find it annoying that I'm so limited on what is available to buy. Especially in a town that is centered around magic!

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett
Last edited by blatantninja; February 10th, 2009 at 20:14.

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

February 11th, 2009, 12:12
One of these days I"m sure I'll go back, as I've read enough of other people's thoughts on the game to think I probably would enjoy it if I persevered. I really really hate the engine, though, and I have to get past that inertia I feel for the whole biowarean world of NWN, as I didn't particularly like NWN 1 either—-but as I say, someday I plan on a marathon playthrough of all three NWN2 efforts. Maybe Dragon Age will put me in the zone.
I wouldn't try the NWN2 OC, even if you're in the zone that bland piece of crap will push you out of it.

Benedict

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2009, 12:29
Personally I like both NWN and NWN2 OC's … but that is just me, and I know that NWN1 holds a special sentimental place for me for reasons I've stated too many times already …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Tags
rpg game
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Which is the best free single player rpg game ?