NWN2 - Review @ Game Pyre

Kalia

Watchdog
Game Pyre has awarded their Gamer's Choice Award to NWN 2 with an overall score of 92 out of 100. Written by an acknowledged fan of NWN 1, the writer said:
Obsidian, Atari, and Bioware score another hit with Neverwinter Nights 2. As a fan of the original Neverwinter Nights, I am not disappointed in the slightest. Everything I was hoping for from a sequel, and so much more. This game has an excellent story that pulls you in from the very beginning, great graphics, and tons of races and classes make this game have excellent replay value.
More information.

Sounds more like a commercial. :)

1. Theme - 9
2. Learning Curve - 8
3. Replayability - 10
4. Fun - 10
5. Sound - 10
6. Graphics - 10
7. Compatibility -8
8. Price - 8
9. Availability - 9
10. Originality - 10

Final Score – 92

OK, I don't care what the numbers are ... having to do *TEN* separate categories is a disaster. Not the best written review I've ever read ... I'll just leave it at that ...

I'm glad NWN2 is getting for the most part good or great reviews, it's a great game very much like Baldur's Gate 2 and I'm hoping it convinces some other major company to get into the act of making another real rpg and not another Diablo or Dungeon Siege clone. Oblivion could also do that if they focus on the rpg aspect of it.

head in the sand?

Have the reviewer had his head in the sand?
No mention of the massive performance problems lots of people have had, not to mention hardships of even installing or patching this piece of sloppy programming.

Its not a review, its a paid commercial for NWN2.

I sincerely hope that in time, give it 3-4 months of patching, it will be a nice and immersive gameplay experience.

I have a brand new PC ~2000$ with all the latest drivers and firmware, 3 versions on dvd from my retal seller. And I still havent managed to get a working install! (and there is off course no critical rebuild to download from atari or elsewere yet to be seen)

Have a nice day
/C

Hmm...my performance is quite reasonable and I had absolutely no problems installing or patching. That's not to say the game is perfect, but perhaps the reviewer just didn't see the sames issues you did?

why must every good review be assumed to be a "paid" review?

Maybe he really means it, he really likes the game, has that never figured into some people's heads? The game doesnt run well on THEIR system, thus the entire review must be about how bad the game runs, or he's just a shill.

Id much rather have a review that centers on the game itself, not a bunch of technical critique based on how the game runs for someone else.

why must every good review be assumed to be a "paid" review?
There are two types of these comments that are out there:
- Ones that say any paid reviewer is 'getting bribed for reviews', these are generally associated with negative G3 reviews, where PB was unable to come up with the adequate bribe money to secure positive reviews.
- Things like this: what he is saying is that it sounds and reads more like cheerleading than critical commentary. I agree with that - this reads very 'gushy'.

I am sorry if came through in an unclear way.
Off course I dont believe that said reviewer were a paid lackey, but I loose respect for a review that fails to mention issues that lots of people have had with the game, even if the reviewer himself have not experienced.

As for me, Im returning my to copies of the game. Not to make a bitter point or anything, but because I cant install them on my system that is far beyond the recommended specs. And believe me, Im definitely not one of a few with similar problems who have tried every possible solution.

Adding to insult the non exisiting response from atari (who are the ones here to really put the blame on) have still not published critical rebuild that might fix the game.

My main gripe is probably that this product had its release date pushed back fro a reason, and that atari insisted on pushing it out before doing an qualified QA.

Back to the review (boy am I losing track of myself :)
I felt that the reviewer should have been more objective and not let his enthusiasm get the better of him.

I still think, and hope, that this can turn out to be a good game. But twith the performance issues, patching issues and lag issues that such a large number are having. Its a marred release.

I am sure that if everything is up to obsidian things can go well.
But untill that time, I dont want to read reviews that gloss over existing problems and give scores out of the blue.

Regards
/C

probably grumpy because of rainy weather and lackluster coffe in my office

Back
Top Bottom