Fallout 3 - Operation Anchorage Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Like the small mini addons to Oblivion it was as expected some small stuff. I was kinda surprised however, they made an all new environment just for these short hours. Kinda overkill, but on the other hand I was quite glad to FINALLY see something else than yellow and brown. The best was, there was a real, bright sky! Cool. I liked the graphics and the design of the new zone, and the action was fast and exciting.

On the other hand, it was a bit less of a story, and I felt not like playing a RPG but a shooter. There hardly was any story or memorable characters, even your companions didnt have names. Because I generally hate companions in 3D shooters, I left them behind anyways, since they didnt REALLY help. It kinda was like playing another game. I had something a bit more epic expected as story. I mean ok, its supposed to be simulation, so no history changing events to be expected, but there was practically no story whatsoever besides, kill every Chinese in the tunnel ahead.

All in all it wasnt bad, but not thrilling either. 7/10

NOTE: I am still totally mad Beth is still unable to just sell their mini addons properly to the world! When you live in Europe you are just stuck unless you happen to have some kind friends from USA. The entire process of downloading any language version in any part of the world is a MUST in 2009. This is way too complicated and hindered.

Well, I was kinda thinking that I might have uninstalled Fallout III a little early - looks like I was wrong. I dont see any reason for me personally play a mod that takes away the setting, which is the biggest attraction of playing a Fallout III in the first place. Highlight the clunky shooter aspect of the game against hordes of crack-shot foes? Couldnt be less interested.

I don't know what crack these guys are on ... or perhaps it suddenly gets *really good* further on than I am ... but if I was to bother reviewing this one after (if) I finish it, it would likely get the score I think many felt I should have given the main game.

Back
Top Bottom