|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Drakensang - Review @ IGN

Default Drakensang - Review @ IGN

March 16th, 2009, 18:35
Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
Show me on the doll where the Codex touched you. Did they run over your dog and rape your sister, too?

He has a point though, the Codex does have a large number of immature trolls.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#161

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 16,932

Default 

March 16th, 2009, 20:42
I'd say a stronger point is that discussing the behaviour of other sites is never, ever useful.

But perhaps that is just me. Not saying this thread has any function anymore, anyway
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#162

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,551

Default 

March 16th, 2009, 20:51
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
I'd say a stronger point is that discussing the behaviour of other sites is never, ever useful.

Nothing wrong with pointing to a fact….
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#163

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 16,932

Default 

March 16th, 2009, 22:43
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
He has a point though, the Codex does have a large number of immature trolls.
Yes, and this site is full of mature, intelligent people who never ever engage in anything but spirited, academic discussion of the higher planes. No pettiness, no immaturity, no stupidity or willful obtuseness at all. Of course.

Come on, now. At least the Codex is honest about what it is and it isn't; most people there don't have pretentious illusions about their moral and intellectual character. Something quite a few, I dare say, could learn from.
Essaliad is offline

Essaliad

Sentinel

#164

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 290

Default 

March 16th, 2009, 23:02
Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
Yes, and this site is full of mature, intelligent people who never ever engage in anything but spirited, academic discussion of the higher planes. No pettiness, no immaturity, no stupidity or willful obtuseness at all. Of course.
Compared to the Codex, it almost does fulfill that description.


Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
Come on, now. At least the Codex is honest about what it is and it isn't; most people there don't have pretentious illusions about their moral and intellectual character. Something quite a few, I dare say, could learn from.
Nobody ever said it wasn't. Hey, if you like to see endless threads of people trying to top each other with insults and surprise links to porn sites, then more power to you.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#165

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 16,932

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 03:37
Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
Come on, now. At least the Codex is honest about what it is and it isn't; most people there don't have pretentious illusions about their moral and intellectual character. Something quite a few, I dare say, could learn from.
On the one hand, yes. On the other - no. Sure, a lot of posters are open they are only there for the luls but the idea the Codex is the last bastion of the true, hardcore CRPGer is long gone amidst a sea of johnny-come-lately-ESF-refugees purely there for shits, giggles and goatse linking.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#166

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 04:01
Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
Yes, and this site is full of mature, intelligent people who never ever engage in anything but spirited, academic discussion of the higher planes. No pettiness, no immaturity, no stupidity or willful obtuseness at all. Of course.

Come on, now. At least the Codex is honest about what it is and it isn't; most people there don't have pretentious illusions about their moral and intellectual character. Something quite a few, I dare say, could learn from.
Why is it no shock that you agree with their behaviour.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch

#167

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,918

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 04:14
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
On the one hand, yes. On the other - no. Sure, a lot of posters are open they are only there for the luls but the idea the Codex is the last bastion of the true, hardcore CRPGer is long gone amidst a sea of johnny-come-lately-ESF-refugees purely there for shits, giggles and goatse linking.
Its disputable. Although parts about lulz and chaos on the Codex are certainly true it is also true that many posters are pretty picky about what games they play. And there is evergrowing sentiment for old games. All in all I dont think there is much difference between this forum and the Codex. Around here you just have to keep yourself civil and you vituperations must be more sophisticated. And to be honest in times like these, were some of the oppinions are oppressed by political correctness, sometimes its refreshing to go to the Codex.
nessosin is offline

nessosin

nessosin's Avatar
Watchdog

#168

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 211

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 05:22
Originally Posted by nessosin View Post
And to be honest in times like these, were some of the oppinions are oppressed by political correctness, sometimes its refreshing to go to the Codex.
I've never seen any opinion oppresed by "political correctness" on this site. God even those two words together make me want to vomit and saying that they are here at The Watch is even worse.

I've seen tempers flare, opinions expressed, and hurt feelings, but there is fundemental difference between codex and watch. We aren't calling each other fuckface or asshole!(well most of the time)

The lulz or whatever the codex wants to call it. Is just stupid bullshit. That's all it is. Rpgwatch doesn't tolorate any BS from people attacking other people online. What's so wrong about that?

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#169

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 08:14
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Compared to the Codex, it almost does fulfill that description.
No, considering this thread and many others, it really doesn't. Just because you're more polite doesn't make you more intelligent or sophisticated. It just means you don't get to swear and have to tread on eggshells around the sensitive crybabies.

Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
The lulz or whatever the codex wants to call it. Is just stupid bullshit. That's all it is. Rpgwatch doesn't tolorate any BS from people attacking other people online. What's so wrong about that?
See? Whenever the Codex comes up, you people react like Christian fundies at the sight of something "ungodly" and start fondling your delusion of superiority like it's your erogenous zone. Self-righteous, sad, and embarrassing to watch.
Essaliad is offline

Essaliad

Sentinel

#170

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 290

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 09:44
I visit many boards from small to large (100k users) and very few have the kind of immature BS that many codex posters like to bloat time to time.

Good example is the huge fallout3 thread where they posted big spoilers about the game's main plot to official fallout boards. Even som codex posters saw that as immature and childish.

Another example is the guy posting few threads on the mmo section of codex. Among good replayes as a new poster he gets this kind of "smart" replays:

"Spambots moved into all of the houses."
"Well, well… an inteligent Spambot - something new."
"Yeah, welcome to the Codex… 'n shit. "
"Gais i rote twelve words abot seom ting in mmos plz red my blog"
"your articles suck. here are some better ones. "
"Fuck MMO's. Play SWAT 4 co-op with your wifey."



The biggest board I visit had lots of that kind of smack talk comments spamming almost every new thread until they started to actively ban the posters.

Allthough that doesnt stop me from reading codex though - it does have lots of good threads and posters too.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."-unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; March 17th, 2009 at 10:24.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#171

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,930

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 10:01
Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
No, considering this thread and many others, it really doesn't. Just because you're more polite doesn't make you more intelligent or sophisticated. It just means you don't get to swear and have to tread on eggshells around the sensitive crybabies.
Strange, I don't recall anyone saying a damn thing about being more intelligent or sophisticated. You seem to be missing the point, no surprise there…
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#172

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 16,932

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 10:03
Originally Posted by nessosin View Post
Its disputable. Although parts about lulz and chaos on the Codex are certainly true it is also true that many posters are pretty picky about what games they play.
I've been around these communities for a long time. I know what I see. Forums are diverse entities - of course there are "picky" people, just as there are idiots here or elsewhere. But I also clearly remember what it used to be like. If you find reason to go there, don't let my comments dissuade you. It's your free time.

Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
No, considering this thread and many others, it really doesn't. Just because you're more polite doesn't make you more intelligent or sophisticated. It just means you don't get to swear and have to tread on eggshells around the sensitive crybabies.

See? Whenever the Codex comes up, you people react like Christian fundies at the sight of something "ungodly" and start fondling your delusion of superiority like it's your erogenous zone. Self-righteous, sad, and embarrassing to watch.
We don't stop you from swearing - we just don't actively encourage it. Anyway, who is "you people"? There are plenty of people here who frequent both sites, presumably like yourself.

It is a pointless discussion, though - BN is right with that.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#173

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 16:23
Originally Posted by Essaliad View Post
See? Whenever the Codex comes up, you people react like Christian fundies at the sight of something "ungodly" and start fondling your delusion of superiority like it's your erogenous zone. Self-righteous, sad, and embarrassing to watch.
You're a funny guy Essaliad. Really funny. Calling me a Christian fundy. I'm still laughing my goddamn ass off. You still didn't answer my question. What's wrong with trying to prove a point without calling each other stupid shit, FAIL at "this", or Fail at "that". Come on Essaliad, you can answer the question? Can't you?

By the way, I do like rpgcodex. I especially like the "Let's Play" threads. That doesn't mean I want to post there. I only have so much time each day for stupid bullshit. It's funny to read sometimes, but it's just not my thing. What's wrong with having an opinion other than yours, Essaliad?

Oh and bravo to Unreg for derailing a thread so completely. I've haven't seen this done in quite a while. Seriously, it's quite an accomplishment to turn a thread for a review for Drakensang into a RPGcodex/RPGwatch debate.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#174

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 19:28
And what has this discussion to do with Drakensang ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#175

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,624

Default 

March 17th, 2009, 21:58
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Oh and bravo to Unreg for derailing a thread so completely. I've haven't seen this done in quite a while. Seriously, it's quite an accomplishment to turn a thread for a review for Drakensang into a RPGcodex/RPGwatch debate.
Thank you. Your use and placement of the clap emoticon was well done, sir…well done indeed.

And I would like to thank all the little people. Without them, this would not have been possible.
Unrestigered is offline

Unrestigered

Watchdog

#176

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 166

Default 

March 18th, 2009, 00:00
Originally Posted by Unrestigered View Post
Thank you. Your use and placement of the clap emoticon was well done, sir…well done indeed.

And I would like to thank all the little people. Without them, this would not have been possible.
How can you possibly be proud of that….I did post about egos earlier….
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch

#177

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,918

Default 

March 18th, 2009, 02:12
Troll attempt succeeded. Guard yourself against future attacks.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#178

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,645

Default 

March 18th, 2009, 03:03
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
How can you possibly be proud of that….I did post about egos earlier….
You gotta admit he did it with some style. Stupidity, of course, was involved but still entertaining.

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
And what has this discussion to do with Drakensang ?
Alrik this thread was about a Drankensang review at IGN But that was a looonggg looonnngg time ago.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#179

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

March 18th, 2009, 06:59
Let's get back to Drakensang, yeah?

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#180

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Drakensang - Review @ IGN
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:02.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch