Deus Ex - The Nameless Mod Coming Soon

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Cameron writes in to say The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex is going to be released soon. I'm not familiar with the project, so here's the feature list:
* An imaginative new setting unlike any game you've played before (yet very familiar to any netizen).
* 59 levels of gameplay plus a new training mission, 6 intro and endgame cinematics, and three secret bonus maps!
* 20 original new weapons, many of which are unique and may only be acquired once through the game.
* Several unique pre-modded versions of original Deus Ex weaponry to be stolen from particular characters upon defeating them.
* The ability to fight with your bare hands, or to make use of several different gloves to augment your furious blows.
* A weapon shop where you can buy original DX weapons, equipment, and ammunition.
* Hundreds of emails, books, newspapers, notepads, and datacubes.
* Multipage info-devices allow for many pages per book or datacube for the really inquisitive player.
* Over 100 entirely new character skins and many more combinations of old skins!
* Actual nanoaugmented enemies. You can view their augmentations with the Targetting aug and disable them with EMP attacks.
* More customization: Choose between two different character models, 5 different faces for each, and eyewear!
* A ton of new decorations and items.
* Two parallel story arcs, that branch early in the game, and plenty of side-missions.
* An almost ridiculously responsive story with a detailed denouement at the end.
* Choice and consequence: Major characters will remember if you knock them out.
* A script of 200,000 words of dialogue, monologue, infolink messages, and AI barks.
* More than 13,000 fully recorded lines of very high quality.
* Eye-pleasing graphical detail with HDTP support!
* New high-quality ogg music for every level (well over 100 tracks!).
* A myriad of secrets, easter eggs, and little details to encourage replaying.
* Goals will be updated as you progress through the missions.
* Greater implementation of difficulty levels: Enemies and pickups will depend on your chosen difficulty.
This project apparently emphasises choices and you can check out a preview at ModDB.
More information.

This sounds great. Amazing how much content is added into the game. All of this done for free too. I just don't know where these guys get the time for work and doing these huge great mods like this one or Lazarus/U6 or any of the other really HUGE mods.

It is funny, though. I thought I knew every System Shock 2 and Dues Ex Mod out there, but I missed this one.

I guess I'll have to dust off my Dues Ex and if I do that then I'll have to reload SS2. I don't know why but everytime I play Dues Ex, I have to play SS2 too. Now I just have to figure out how to load all the mods again :)

I guess I'll have to dust off my Dues Ex and if I do that then I'll have to reload SS2. I don't know why but everytime I play Dues Ex, I have to play SS2 too. Now I just have to figure out how to load all the mods again :)
Every time I hear of either Deus Ex, System Shock 2 or VtM: Bloodlines, I get fond memories of all of them and mourn that there aren't any games like that any more. They are like a holy trinity of "RPG lightness". This mod sounds awesome.

Incredible. Definitely on my "to play" list.

I feel much the same Arhu, well, if you tweak the list with System Shock 1 instead of 2. ;)

Every time I hear of either Deus Ex, System Shock 2 or VtM: Bloodlines, I get fond memories of all of them and mourn that there aren't any games like that any more. They are like a holy trinity of "RPG lightness". This mod sounds awesome.

It's a funny coincidence, I just started thinking of Deus Ex the last couple of days, and I've been playing VtM:B during that time. They do share a lot of similarities in gameplay and overall experience.

As much as I liked Deus Ex, for some reason I never finished it. I think I might reinstall it as soon as I'm finished with VtM:B.

I feel much the same Arhu, well, if you tweak the list with System Shock 1 instead of 2. ;)
Heh. Never played SS1, shame on me, and now it looks too old ... But to make another analogy, Deus Ex and Bloodlines seem like fraternal twins and SS2 is like an older sibling from the same family.

This project sounds like a very ambitious mod. I hope they have the endurance to piece this together, it sure sounds interesting.

Wow. Sounds pretty darn solid! And I've never even heard of this mod before! Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the new mention and the kind works, guys! Consider yourselves lucky that you're just hearing of us now, some people have been waiting 7 years! I think that RPG lovers will really enjoy TNM, we've gone to rather extensive lengths to ensure that the player's choices make a real difference in the world.

Be on the lookout for our launch trailer sometime this week!

Heh. Never played SS1, shame on me, and now it looks too old

You should definitely still give it a shot. The gameplay is still solid and the Gibson-esque cyberspace is much more interesting that the hacking minigame of SS2. The weapons are also more satisfying (beam weapons rock). You can get used to the graphics as there are a lot of details on the levels; it's not as bad as replaying Doom. Also, I get a bit "seasick" when I go back to some older 3D games (I can't play Cybermage for this reason), but not with SS1.

Thanks for the new mention and the kind works, guys! Consider yourselves lucky that you're just hearing of us now, some people have been waiting 7 years! I think that RPG lovers will really enjoy TNM, we've gone to rather extensive lengths to ensure that the player's choices make a real difference in the world.

Be on the lookout for our launch trailer sometime this week!

Okay now you've done it. I've actually found my copy of Dues Ex and loaded it (with SS2 of course;)) I was going to wait, but you mentioned those holy words "Choices make a difference." I'll pass the time getting creeped out by those sick mama cyborgs and brain monkeys while you guys finish tidying up.

So thanks and I still can't believe you guys have been doing this for 7 years. Man, I can't even play a game over and over again for that long:biggrin: A couple of replays maybe on a more difficult setting and that's it, I'm bored, onto the next one. My hats off to you and your team for actually finishing it.

No offense but the plot seems terribly stupid. All the goodness that seems to be in this mod seems to be terribly wasted on the plot that seems more like an inside joke. A "Llama" faction that worships "the great LLamar" and a "Goat" faction that worships "the great oon". Who writes this stuff?

No offense but the plot seems terribly stupid. All the goodness that seems to be in this mod seems to be terribly wasted on the plot that seems more like an inside joke. A "Llama" faction that worships "the great LLamar" and a "Goat" faction that worships "the great oon". Who writes this stuff?

The plot is silly, yes, but it runs through a world that's extremely immersive and cohesive. There certainly *are* a lot of inside jokes, however, people not "in" on the inside jokes will mostly just not notice them. The story is mod is built in such a way that while may look ridiculous from the outside, it's extremely consistent when you're in the game world.

Anyway, I won't ramble, you can judge it for youself soon enough :)

Was Deus Ex good then? I must have missed that when it came out.

Great Llaama..hmmm...any of you guys play a lot of Sims? ;) Never did understand the whole Llama thing, but they do certainly love throwing in extra Llama content whenever they can and I think there were some hidden Llamas somewhere, lol. I'm sure there is more than one inside joke concerning Llamas but that was the one that first came to mind :)

Do yourself a favor and play this game. Unless you really really really hate cyberpunk-ish themes. :)

I can't emphasise enough how great this game is. If there is something you can do in Deus Ex, the devs most probably foresaw you doing it.

I admit that the subject of The Nameless Mod might be a little rough for me at first. I read through the story, story-explanation, and FAQ. My love for Deus Ex was significantly spawned by the setting, and departing from it will be difficult. But I think it's very likely that the passion of these modders (7 YEARS!!!!! You people are amazing!) will come through in their work as long as I do my part and give it a chance.
Heh. Never played SS1, shame on me, and now it looks too old ... But to make another analogy, Deus Ex and Bloodlines seem like fraternal twins and SS2 is like an older sibling from the same family.
I loved SS1, being in my top 3 all-time games along with Deus Ex and PS:Torment, whereas SS2 was only good to me (although the implementation of coop rocked). This isn't so much a critical remark about SS2 as it is just an issue of personal taste. SS1 is, I believe, my 1st or 2nd most replayed game of all time. The graphics are definitely _very_ dated at this point. And the controls were a little frustrating the last time I played, if I recall correctly. But the story and level design were impeccable. It was also the great unveiling of my all-time favorite villain (and she was superior in SS1, IMO). Additionally, some little nuances, like hacking, were much more fun for me in SS1. SS2 was, for me, somewhat "Deus Ex 2ed" (yes I just made a multi-word game name into a verb) for me. My expectations were so high that it was doomed to fail to meet them.

This is one of those times where I search for emoticons to see if you are joking ... asking about Deus Ex is like asking about Doom or Fallout or Baldur's Gate or teh Ultima, Wizardry or Final Fantasy games ...

Buy now, load it up and forget about having a social life for a few weeks. It's that good. Story, weapons, RPG elements, everyhing fits perfectly. Three different endings. You can get all three right at the end of the story by the way you choose(I thought they could of done this part better. don't let me choose one ending if I've constantly fought against them) Anyways, other than that little annyoning detail, it's one of the greatest games out there.

Three different endings. You can get all three right at the end of the story by the way you choose(I thought they could of done this part better. don't let me choose one ending if I've constantly fought against them) Anyways, other than that little annyoning detail, it's one of the greatest games out there.

I actually prefer when multiple endings are done that way. I don't think you should be forced to replay 75% of the game just to see a different ending.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom