|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » EA - Softening Stance on DRM?

Default EA - Softening Stance on DRM?

March 27th, 2009, 10:15
This one has a bit of a tenuous link to our purview but should be interesting to many readers. MTV Multiplayer reports EA has announced Sims 3 will only use a serial number for protection. The head of EA's Sims and Casual division Rod Humble wrote this in his blog:
The game will have disc-based copy protection there is a Serial Code just like The Sims 2. To play the game there will not be any online authentication needed.
We feel like this is a good, time-proven solution that makes it easy for you to play the game without DRM methods that feel overly invasive or leave you concerned about authorization server access in the distant future.
As one of their flagship products, hopefully this approach will filter down.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 27th, 2009, 10:15
I don't think it'll filter down much - it's an approach they can take with titles that are designed just to get in as many gamers hands as possible in order to sell further content.

I think other places are softening or changing their DRM though - Steam, GFW and Stardock have all announced things related to DRM recently.

kalniel

SasqWatch

March 27th, 2009, 12:44
I hated the serial-number system in Sims.
I hated the serial-number system in Sims 2.
I will hate the serial-number system in Sims 3.

Reason: When you are going to install 5-10 expansions/expansionpackages, filling in serialnumbers get's old quickly.

Sims and Sims 2 are games that I made a "rip" of for personal use. A fresh installed version with all registry keys dumped in a file. A such version save hours when you must do a reinstallation.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

March 27th, 2009, 13:17
Sims is boring.

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

March 27th, 2009, 13:48
I have no problems using numbers, but I can understand it, I had to re-install a game recently several times because I thought it would fix a few glitches I had. (I think it didn't, by the way.)

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » EA - Softening Stance on DRM?