|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Up to 2 Years DLC Planned

Default Dragon Age - Up to 2 Years DLC Planned

April 7th, 2009, 14:58
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
I am a strong hater of DLC. It just doesn't work.

Since the way I look at a game, when I play through a game no matter which one it is, I want a complete experiance from beginning to end, I am not interessed in a DLC which adds one area I already completed the story and my playthrough of the game…… Episodic content which continue the story is another thing though……..
I'm with GG here, but I would add my concern. As DLC grows more popular, I can see game companies restricting the 'mod' capabilities in their games so they can do more than what modders can. Otherwise, it'd be tough for them to sell something that other people can do for free (and probably better).
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#21

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,113

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 15:11
Is anyone where legitimately excited about this?
doctor_kaz is offline

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 622

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 15:17
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
Is anyone where legitimately excited about this?
DLC is obviously geared towards console gamers, who think it's the best thing ever, to pay for extra content, while us playing in PC are used to free extra content being released for every game. Maybe that's another reason why they delayed the PC version to coincide with the consoles.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#23

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,113

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 16:14
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
Is anyone where legitimately excited about this?
Excited? Maybe, I wouldn't use that word. Hopeful is a better word. If the game is what it is promised to be. Then yes adding in more DLC is a nice bonus.

I felt the same way most of you do when I first heard about expansion packs. Specifically Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle's expansion packs. I thought why not just have this in the original game. But as it turns out I was dead wrong. I come to look foreward to most expansion packs being released.

As for Bioware and DLC. I would like to see if they offer more than they did for Mass Effect before I judge or scream "The sky is falling." Maybe I'm wrong again and DLC is just a cheap way of cutting down the cost of the original game and maybe it is a nice way of getting back into the game before the release of the next sequel. One thing is for sure though, it had better be more than ME's DLC. I think I finished that "extra content" in under 2 hours.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#24

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 17:44
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
So, does that mean we'll get a 8-10 hours campaign coming with the original game, soon to be filled with DLC packs?
Why on earth would it?

Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
DLC is obviously geared towards console gamers, who think it's the best thing ever, to pay for extra content, while us playing in PC are used to free extra content being released for every game. Maybe that's another reason why they delayed the PC version to coincide with the consoles.
I'm pretty sure PC games had DLC before console ones did.
kalniel is offline

kalniel

SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,877

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 17:49
Someone on another board just inspired me to this thought :

DLC = substitute for DRM

Think about it …

It's basically the almost same as a game with an MP part …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is online now

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#26

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,868

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 18:03
On the one hand fans complain that many of these games are too thin and too shallow and on the other they're turned off when developers announce they're creating and adding more. So you kind of have to stop and wonder, what's the deal?

I think the fans have it right, and these games tend to be way, way too simple. If they were complex enough that you couldn't possibly experience everything the game had to offer in one play through — and if the parts you did were replayable and fun — then I think fans would welcome the idea of adding even more.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]
Squeek is offline

Squeek

Squeek's Avatar
connoisseur of tidbits

#27

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,807

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 19:29
In theory, I have no problem with DLCs. I agree that I have a tough time with wanting to wait for all content to be available before I start my first play through. With many games, I can manage that - Dragon Age I will not and will be buying ASAP. But that's really more about me than anything, even if several of us share that particular affliction. It is certainly more pronounced with DLCs, however, because, with the exception of a few like Night of the Raven, expansion packs did not add to the OC but added content to be played after the OC. DLCs, however, have tended to be things that meld into the OC more so than expansions. So that does make those of us who like to have a "complete" OC experience on the first play through a might grumbly.

Additionally, the way things have gone since the onset of DLCs has cast them in a very negative light, to my eyes. While my complaints are subjective, I feel they are valid. Generally, DLCs have not had a value in line with their cost. Let's face it, the cost of the game engine, development tools, learning process of the development team, etc. was all covered by the original game. I believe (and very much hope) I'm not trivializing the value of the work of DLC developers, but what I've seen content-wise from DLCs has looked to me like a cash grab.

When compared with good expansion packs (and let's remember there were lots of awful expansion packs), DLCs in general and so far just haven't seemed to have the same value to price ratio. Could the Dragon Age DLC(s) break that trend? Let's hope so.
Last edited by Guhndahb; April 7th, 2009 at 19:30. Reason: Changed 'value:price' to 'value to price' to avoid :p
Guhndahb is offline

Guhndahb

Guhndahb's Avatar
Sentinel

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 319

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 20:04
Bah, call me skeptical but what all this DLC crap talk boils down for me is this: 'we are too lazy to finish the game, so you'll get it in small bits spread over the years instead'. My question is, who will give a darn, though?

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.
r3dshift is offline

r3dshift

r3dshift's Avatar
Sentinel

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hungary
Posts: 288

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 20:06
Originally Posted by Guhndahb View Post
In theory, I have no problem with DLCs.
After reading what I just wrote, I guess I'd better amend my position to "I guess I do have a problem with DLCs, I just didn't realize it when I started this post".
Guhndahb is offline

Guhndahb

Guhndahb's Avatar
Sentinel

#30

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 319

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 20:52
Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
Bah, call me skeptical but what all this DLC crap talk boils down for me is this: 'we are too lazy to finish the game, so you'll get it in small bits spread over the years instead'.
That was well put, think, and speaks for most of the rest of the experienced fans.

That's where we're at with the current paradigm. What I mean is, there's nothing unique about how this software is designed and made. Like everything else, these programs are created with only one version in mind. So "additional" content can only ever be just that — additional.

Compare that to how fans imrove the RPGs they love, by modifying them (resulting in varieties of versions, most of which are incompatible with each other). Ideally, instead of designing CRPGs and their additional content like every other program, in one big single version, this stuff would be designed the way fans enjoy it most — in variety.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]
Squeek is offline

Squeek

Squeek's Avatar
connoisseur of tidbits

#31

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,807

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 20:58
Someone on another board just inspired me to this thought :

DLC = substitute for DRM

Think about it …

It's basically the almost same as a game with an MP part …
Except you can easily copy the DLC or download it from the internet so it doesn't even have this postive effect. Down with DLC If it's not a fancy new armor for my horse of course,,, that's worth a lot of money!!
GothicGothicness is online now

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,089

Default 

April 7th, 2009, 21:59
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Someone on another board just inspired me to this thought :

DLC = substitute for DRM

Think about it …

It's basically the almost same as a game with an MP part …
Nonsense. DLC is optional, DRM is forced.

Nobody has to buy the DLC content. You don't think it's worth the money? Fine, don't buy it - and you can still enjoy the full game.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#33

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,771

Default 

April 8th, 2009, 00:52
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
DLC is obviously geared towards console gamers, who think it's the best thing ever, to pay for extra content, while us playing in PC are used to free extra content being released for every game
Really? What planet is that that you are living on? *grabs wallet to buy a ticket*

Seriously, the way I remember my gaming history is that the concepts of episodic content and DLC were conceived during a time when development budgets and development schedules exploded. Developers and publishers at one point began to see a need to get the most out of their existing, expensive technology (game engine, art assets and so on).
The "one shot at retail" model did (does) not work out for a lot of not so hot selling games and developing another, new game with new tech will typically consume two or three or even more years due to the increasing complexity of the task.

So what do you do? Right, they began to look for alternative and additional sources of revenue. Since games don't have much of a secondary market (unlike movies where you have a huge seconday market due to DVD and merchandise sales), they had to think up ways how to make the most of the existing tech/product (often times negatively referred to as "milking").
And that's just how it is nowadays. It has nothing to do with consoles.
The existence of DLC is more like a logical evolutionary step in video gaming in general (independent of platform).
Moriendor is offline

Moriendor

Moriendor's Avatar
Spielkind

#34

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Schland
Posts: 1,836

Default 

April 8th, 2009, 04:00
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
The existence of DLC is more like a logical evolutionary step in video gaming in general (independent of platform).
I agree, I mean look at the compaines folding because of the one shot win or lose type of situation PC gaming is in. It's crazy because they are spending almost as much money for AAA games as they are for AAA movies, yet they only have one shot to get a return on their investment.

I think the biggest reason so many people are opposed to DLC has to do with the horse armor incedent. They're afraid that companies will intentionally leave out features in their game so that they can sell it at a later date. The Sims is great at this. The first game is the basic skeleton and is only fleshed out to its potential in future expansion packs. Some don't mind this, some do. But I know I won't pay for horse armor or tiny little quest like the Fallout 3 DLC. I WILL pay for premium modules like in Neverwinter Nights. Those were great.

People seem to be forgetting that you don't have to buy it if you don't want to and all this doom and gloom for the industry is just plain BS. Why is it everyone has got to go for the most negative outcome possible?

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#35

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

April 8th, 2009, 04:02
Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
Bah, call me skeptical but what all this DLC crap talk boils down for me is this: 'we are too lazy to finish the game, so you'll get it in small bits spread over the years instead'. My question is, who will give a darn, though?
Hi skeptical. I disagree with this sentiment. Most development houses I'm sure are not lazy, maybe mismanaged but not lazy. Things are complex enough that it takes forever to put out a AAA title that has just a couple of hours of content. Likely publishers now want a steady stream of cash like what The Sims or any MMO provides and they think DLC is the answer today.

Regarding DLC for a single player story driven game that is going to be moddable, I do have my doubts but we shall see.
tazpn is offline

tazpn

Watcher

#36

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 33

Default 

April 8th, 2009, 05:04
LOL, "Horse Armor" is an official entry in the gaming lexicon. When we're old and gray and calling "Horse Armor!" on something, little 12 year old noobs will be pullin on our proverbial shirt tails asking us what that means. I was there for Horse Armor, in fact I bought it!

As far as DLC goes, my opinion tends to side w/ "The Negative Ones" on this because just like expansion packs, I feel it's just purposefully left-out content to bilk us for later. I dont truly know this, but it just seems like that assumption just cant be ALL wrong. Millions of pissed off and paranoid geeks cant be all wrong.

Maybe we can… = ]

In any case, I'll end up friggen buying the stuff anyway if it strikes me as something worthy. At least it all get's run thru the mill by someone somewhere and reviewed, like the Fallout DLC's which thankfully someone else suffered thru so I wouldnt be suckered!
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#37

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,615

Default 

April 8th, 2009, 06:03
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
LOL, "Horse Armor" is an official entry in the gaming lexicon. When we're old and gray and calling "Horse Armor!" on something, little 12 year old noobs will be pullin on our proverbial shirt tails asking us what that means. I was there for Horse Armor, in fact I bought it! !


Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
As far as DLC goes, my opinion tends to side w/ "The Negative Ones" on this because just like expansion packs, I feel it's just purposefully left-out content to bilk us for later. I dont truly know this, but it just seems like that assumption just cant be ALL wrong. Millions of pissed off and paranoid geeks cant be all wrong. !
Sims expansion packs or normal RPG EP? RPG EPs have proven a long time ago that they add a lot more content or gaming goodness It also gives the developers more time to put in more than they were able to with the first release.

Sims EPs are similar except they could of added a hell of a lot more than they do in the original game. That's my biggest complaint with them. The EPs released normally do add a lot to the game.

I'm like you, I'll end up buying the DLC or EP unless some review says to stay far away.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#38

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

April 8th, 2009, 06:29
I can understand a bit of skepticism regarding DLC. Certainly I would be leery of any game where it seemed like the focus was more on offering pay-to-download content than a real game, myself. A few comments, though:

1) For Dragon Age's PC users, you will have access to the toolset and thus plenty of free content if that's your preference. I'm not aware of any arbitrary restrictions in the toolset's capabilities, beyond those which only third-party programs provide us (we can't, for instance, provide an animation suite in the toolset, as neat as that'd be).

2) I think one could look to NWN to see what our idea of DLC is, really. The NWN Live Team put out adventures for NWN and kept the patches coming for the original game for years (patches which included plenty of that content for the toolset's use later on).

3) At the end of the day, if we haven't made the DLC worthwhile, then the answer is simply not to purchase it — as was already mentioned. Same goes with the original game. Dragon Age is a huge game, but if you really feel it's been somehow stripped down so we could make you pay for it piecemeal, then simply take a pass. While I suppose some people will buy anything they're handed without question, complaining about what other people are willing to purchase because you'd rather receive it for free seems a little… self-serving? So is making money through stuff like DLC, I know, but that's what companies do and we're not pretending otherwise.
Dgaider is offline

Dgaider

Bioware Writer Guy

#39

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 50

Default 

April 8th, 2009, 09:39
Nice to hear there's no pretense, at least

That alone goes a long way.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#40

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,879
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Up to 2 Years DLC Planned
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:44.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch