|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Copy Protection Revealed & More

Default Dragon Age - Copy Protection Revealed & More

May 7th, 2009, 13:56
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
And that has happened to you how often and with what games and companies ?
A few examples:
- EA Store - they are one of those 'limited download' things, and when Crysis Warhead came out I'd already uninstalled Crysis and since it was required, they wanted e to re-buy it to play the expansion, I had to manually go through customer service.
- Oh yeah, the same thing had with the BF2142 expansion …
- I bought but didn't immediately download a game through Aspyr's GameAgent … and never got the 'purchase confirmation' email, but had my PayPal email. Was able to get enough info from that to go through customer service for the download. They weren't budging without that proof …
- Steam - I bought a pack including a game I already had, but rather than getting a 'gift' like I would with Orange Box I got nothing. This isn't an activation issue, but rather an issue of how they can cheat your purchases on digital downloads - I have 3 copies of Diablo because of various pack-in purchases, and while I only need one, if I paid for three I should *have* three!

Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
Well, I think that Mike (txa1265) is a bit of a special case anyway since he's got like 357 computers and laptops (including 26 iMacs and 42 iBooks) and 259 handheld devices . If there is one person on this planet where it does not surprise me that he runs into issues with the activation limits then it's gotta be Mike.
Hehe … and because what you say is true, perhaps I prove Roi Danton's point by not having MORE issues …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 8th, 2009, 20:14
This thread is kinda funny. People all excited about copy protection

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 8th, 2009, 20:22
Maybe we should commemorate it, somehow, since it does seem to have obvious significance. We could hold a celeberation, drink some beer, listen to a few speeches and select a "Miss Copy Protection."

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

May 8th, 2009, 21:09
Sounds great. After we crown the winner, I'll personally go on stage and demontrate how the latest patch from GameCopyWorld strips the protection right off of her

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic

May 8th, 2009, 21:11
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
Downloading a NOCD crack to remove the disc check is a matter of 30 seconds effort. Why would I wait for a disc check or swap out the CD to play a game I already paid for? Because God is looking over my shoulder?
You'd have to knkw WHERE to download this crack from, first, and THEN it might also be that a Trojan is incorporated in it.

I don't assume that casual gamers usually know specific locations to download cracks from.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 9th, 2009, 00:55
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
This thread is kinda funny. People all excited about copy protection
There are some thing that are important for me to be able to get into the game and enjoying things like gameplay,story,development etc.
These things are:
  • No camera issues
  • No killer bugs
  • Copy Protection

If one of the above doesn't meet my requirements I either don't buy the game or never play it to the end.
I can put up with pretty much everything else like controls,performance,visuals etc.
That's why I'm happy when there's no DRM.

But then again that's just me so don't shoot people.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Copy Protection Revealed & More