|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Next patch scheduled for early december

Default Gothic 3 - Next patch scheduled for early december

November 23rd, 2006, 07:14
According to posts in the Jowood and World of Players Forums, the next Gothic 3 patch is scheduled for early december (quote: in 2 -3 weeks) and will address at least the ambient sound bug, no more has been disclosed so far.
More information.

Garrett

Watchdog
RPGWatch Team

November 23rd, 2006, 07:14
I'm sure there will be other fixes - hopefully the long awaited combat fix will be included.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

November 23rd, 2006, 10:17
wooo hooo, maybe I can start playing if they fix enough bugs.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

November 23rd, 2006, 13:31
I also stopped playing for now. I really enjoy the game and think it has a lot of positive elements but I'm sure I could enjoy it much more if I saw the full potential. One thing that can't be fixed, however, is the lack of depth in the story and the conversations =( And that's probably the thing I miss the most when comparing it to Gothic 1 and 2.

rasmuslarsen

Traveler

November 23rd, 2006, 14:29
I still have hope that the third patch will be one that will make me pick up Gothic 3 once again. For now, it sleeps on my HD while I am playing NWN2 and Oblivion.

Rendelius

Watcher

Send a message via ICQ to Rendelius Send a message via MSN to Rendelius Send a message via Yahoo to Rendelius Send a message via Skype™ to Rendelius

November 23rd, 2006, 16:59
One thing that can't be fixed, however, is the lack of depth in the story and the conversations =(
I agree with you, in a way. If you think about, Gothic 1 was the only game with a really tight storyline and even that was cheesey and ended up hampering the game for me because the story kicks in after you join a camp and it doesn't let it up. Looking back, whichever camp you joined was utterly superficial in the end.

Gothic 2 started to deviate from this and made the story looser and more generic in order to allow multiple replays with truly different characters and choices that mattered, etc. Compare the number of in-game cinematics from G1 to G2 and you can see how less of an emphasis was put on the story. It still had very good dialouges, they just were not as plentiful.

Gothic 3 on the other hand seems to ditch a lot of conventional storytelling/plot structure means and go the Ultima VII/roguelike-ish route where you're thrust into the world and you literally have to make your own story. To me it seems like one of those games where in the end you look back at everything you've done, cities you liberated, enemies killed etc and THAT'S the story: Your story. The dialouges were hurt, yes, but there are still good ones littered about. Like Werzen in Cape Dun, a lot of the hashashin merchants have good ones, as do rebels and whatnot. Thorus was also very fun to meet up wtih again and have a nice chat with.

It's not that the dialogues and story were totally put to bed. They're still there, but with a lot less emphasis.

Naked_Lunch

Watcher

Cool Careful what you wish for

November 23rd, 2006, 23:30
hehe, this is not a criticism directed at anyone, but I can't help but wonder what comments there would be if Gothic 3 was indeed more of the "one story to tell" format?

"Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Wolfie

Traveler

Default Good game in there waiting to break out

November 25th, 2006, 08:28
There's definitely a good game inside G3 waiting to break out. Or, to put it another way that is more honest and blunt, there's definitely a good game inside G3 waiting to be finished.

It's actually one of the most frustrating games in my collection at the moment; it has some great potential but in its current state is so let down by bugs, poor optimizations, and aspects lacking adequate polish, that I've not played it since discovering the latest 1.09 patch didn't address the issues it needed to do as a minimum to unleash the latent quality within.

Here's hoping in the next patch they bring it up to a truly playable and 'finished-looking' state, so we can all then enjoy it and they can move on to tweaking and adding content instead of doing the stuff that should have happened in the last weeks prior to it prematurely going gold…

Regards
Stat

Statue

November 25th, 2006, 21:29
I agree, had to give G3 a rest till the next patch.
Finished Dark Messiah, MageKnight currently on NWN2, not sure if I will pick KoN for Oblivion, maybe if the reviews sound decent and might finally be able to try the Gods LoI Demo.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Next patch scheduled for early december