Fallout 3 - New DLCs, PS3 Support, Retail Packs

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft has announced two new DLCs as well as DLC support for the PS3. The previously rumoured Point Lookout is a new swamp area, while Mothership Zeta is an alien abduction (no, I'm not kidding). Finally, retail packages are confirmed for the end of the year - here's the full PR:
We are pleased to announce that Fallout® 3 downloadable content (DLC) is coming to PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. We have been working on implementing it for a while and look forward to bringing it to PS3 gamers via the PlayStation Network. Operation: Anchorage will be released for PS3 in late June, followed by the release of The Pitt and Broken Steel 4-6 weeks apart. Release dates will be forthcoming.
In addition, a new update will be released for PS3 that will allow users to download and play the new DLC. The release date for that update will be announced at a later date.
There are also two new DLCs planned for all three platforms:
· Point Lookout – Explore a massive new swampland area filled with new quests and content.
· Mothership Zeta – The aliens have returned, and they’re pissed. Experience an alien abduction first hand and find out if you’re tough enough to survive.

Point Lookout will be available in late June for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Point Lookout will be available on PS3 after the first three DLCs have been released.
Mothership Zeta is scheduled for release in late July for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Mothership Zeta will be available on PS3 after Point Lookout.
Finally, new Fallout 3 products will be available at retail this year.
Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #1 includes The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC on May 26.
The Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #2 includes Broken Steel and Point Lookout on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC in August.
Retail versions of the game add-on packs for PS3 are not possible and the DLC will only be available for download online via PlayStation Network.
A Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will be available in October. It will include the original game plus all five add-ons for $59.99 for Xbox 360 and PS3, and $49.99 for PC.
More information.

Aliens!

So what's the sentiment here? Is (yet another) pure-Sci Fi DLC appropriate? Does it not matter because it's just DLC? Does it make sense? Is Bethesda still someone who "didn't stick to the gameplay but does keep to the setting well"?

lil' discussion guys! I'm curious to hear opinions, if not necessarily debate them.

Aliens!

So what's the sentiment here? Is (yet another) pure-Sci Fi DLC appropriate? Does it not matter because it's just DLC? Does it make sense? Is Bethesda still someone who "didn't stick to the gameplay but does keep to the setting well"?

lil' discussion guys! I'm curious to hear opinions, if not necessarily debate them.

You like Beth, don't you? :)

I have nothing against the idea, could be a lot of fun if done right. There was the crashed UFO in Fallout 1 after all....

oooooh GAWD!! That UFO in F1 was a joke btw and so are these DLCs. They're like those bad random encounters you get if your luck is really low except that you pay for these with real money.

With the others. The UFO and alien stuff could be campy good fun and entirely in the fallout spirit.

I have nothing against the idea, could be a lot of fun if done right. There was the crashed UFO in Fallout 1 after all....

Yes.

In a random encounter. Just like, say, Dr. Who, Godzilla's footprint, the Monthy Python knights, and a crashed Star Trek shuttle.

I think we need just a bit more than that to justify this idea really.

Look at it logically: Fallout 3 is a post-apocalyptic setting of a retro-futuristic world. It has retro-futuristic elements, like lasers and plasma guns, but all in a state to indicate they are - in fact - after an apocalypse. So all of it, up to the vaults as safe-houses, fits the general idea of an apocalyptic setting. The random encounters were all out of sync, but that was because they were all non-canon joke (unless we want to include Dr Who and Star Trek in Fallout canon)

But now we get pulled completely out of this being a joke and aliens suddenly become a part of Fallout's world. A canon elements in a pure sci-fi setting DLC.

Honestly, I can't really see why anyone wouldn't immediately tag this as an epically stupid idea, but please, convince me why it isn't.

You like Beth, don't you? :)

Love 'em.

Well, to be honest, I don't think Fallout 3 really lives up to the legacy in the first place - so I've kinda written it off.

Doesn't really matter much to me what they do with it now, except for that Obsidian deal - which I find promising.

If they want to introduce aliens, well, that's their right and may they have fun with whatever they deem is right.

Deep down that's my response to, DArtagnan. Still, many felt Fallout 3 let loose Fallout 1/2's gameplay philosophy but, much unlike Fallout 2, did a good job with the setting. Every expansion seems to be a new step into proving these people wrong.

It's not very important, I don't do DLC anyway, but I'm curious why this hasn't been met with a massive face-palm everywhere so far. Are we that forgiving of what Bethesda does? Or do discerning costumers no longer care leaving only those who scoop up anything Bethesda tosses out anyway? Apparently two broken DLC releases is enough to get people excited for more DLCs, how does that even work.

Bethesda's apparent infinite fan-and-media cred confuses me sometimes.

Deep down that's my response to, DArtagnan. Still, many felt Fallout 3 let loose Fallout 1/2's gameplay philosophy but, much unlike Fallout 2, did a good job with the setting. Every expansion seems to be a new step into proving these people wrong.

It's not very important, I don't do DLC anyway, but I'm curious why this hasn't been met with a massive face-palm everywhere so far. Are we that forgiving of what Bethesda does? Or do discerning costumers no longer care leaving only those who scoop up anything Bethesda tosses out anyway? Apparently two broken DLC releases is enough to get people excited for more DLCs, how does that even work.

Bethesda's apparent infinite fan-and-media cred confuses me sometimes.

I'm not sure you can prove anyone wrong, as this is a matter of taste. Besides, they sold so many copies by now - that any backlash will be futile in terms of an effort to somehow "stop" Beth from going forward and do their thing.

I think they did pretty good considering their talent, but unfortunately their weak aspects stuck out for me - like a sore thumb. They can't write worth a damn, and their NPCs are all either batshit insane or a variety of tough cowboy.

The less said about their treatment of the SPECIAL system, the better, but at least it's better than their Elderscrolls travesty.

All that being said, I think they handled the freeform aspects VERY well - and exploration in particular felt worthwhile, mostly due to the many terminals with interesting stories/anecdotes. The combat system, while flawed, was also very entertaining and had a rather nice pace.

Many good things actually, but the end-result was not at the same level as Fallout - especially not considering the potential of such a game with the technology and resources available to Bethesda.

Crashed Star Trek shuttle?!?

I thought I had seen all the Easter Eggs in FO1....damn!

It's not in 1, it's in two, just like the Python knights I mentioned.

The silliness in Fo1 random encounters is relatively limited. The singer, used car salesman and tipped nuka cola truck aren't that out there. The Godzilla footprint, crashed alien shuttle and Dr Who box are

The seed for the idea comes from Fallout, so you can't criticise that. However, I'm not excited by the idea of taking a joke and building a gameplay sequence around it. I haven't played any of the DLCs so far because all of them sound like linear shooter sequences (I'll probably get the last one at some point and finish exploring the areas I missed, I guess). I'd really like to see at least one meaty, non-linear DLC in tune with the original game.

In the main - in my opinion - Fallout was all about settlements and the impact the player has on them. Fallout 3 has 2 villages at best. Just one good Fallout homage and then they can do the joke stuff.

I'm not getting any of the DLCs simply because I'm not going to pay $10 each for them, it doesn't make any sense imo. $50 for 5 DLCs?!? I'll simply wait untill the GotY Edition goes on sale and pick that up, even though I already have the CE.

I'll likely buy the Broken Steel disc simply to see what happens at higher levels with some of the quests I skipped once I reached 20 in the original. I don't use Windows Live, so I'll happily wait for the release and pay $10.

Back
Top Bottom