|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Next Game Revealed Thursday

Default Bethesda Softworks - Next Game Revealed Thursday

May 28th, 2009, 15:09
I don't care about dungeons and I don't find a problem with the auto-leveling, but for the love of God (or gods if you're a pagan, or pizza if you're an atheist), let me play as a MAGE, not a swordsman turned mage like in the Gothics, a mage pure and simple!. That's the one thing that gets me to like all TES games (specially the spellcrafting part) and not the Gothics even though they share many concepts.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

May 28th, 2009, 15:47
Game Reveal on GTTV Tonight!

Tonight on GTTV (that’s Game Trailers Television), you’ll get a sneak peak at the project we’ve been working on with Splash Damage — with an unveiling during GTTV PRESENTS: VGA-E3 FIRST LOOK 2009 SPECIAL. The special premieres at 11 PM ET on Spike TV.
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/0…-gttv-tonight/

dowon

Watcher

May 28th, 2009, 16:36
Originally Posted by Zaleukos View Post
I for one found the Morrowind dungeons to be of sensible size and reasonably varied, but then I dont like dungeon crawling. Unfortunately my opinion was a minority one and the small dungeons were criticised pretty widely AFAIK. Still I find it hard to buy that all these dungeons were completely handmade, there was some degree of repetition (that got worse in Oblivion where it seems like whole sections of dungeon levels were recycled).
They are handmade, but they are assembled from a sizable but limited number of prefabricated dungeon sections that can be put together lego-style (with a limited number of sections really fitting together, further limiting the options), and decorated with a likewise big but limited number of available statics, treasures and monsters - that explains the sameness well enough. Hand made means the individual dungeon layout is put together from the pieces by hand and not by an algorithm, but it's not "sculpted" from primitives each time. An additional factor is that it is easy to copy a dungeon, change it a bit, and voila, lazy level-designer-man just got himself an extra 15min on his lunchbreak…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 28th, 2009, 16:37
Could it be Jade E 2? Nah. Too good to be true.

It'll be another Fallblivion, just named as something else. Whatever it is, I'll keep the money.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 28th, 2009, 16:45
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
They are handmade, but they are assembled from a sizable but limited number of prefabricated dungeon sections that can be put together lego-style (with a limited number of sections really fitting together, further limiting the options), and decorated with a likewise big but limited number of available statics, treasures and monsters - that explains the sameness well enough.
Thanks for the explanation. That certainly explains why it felt like Daggerfall II (where the lego blocks were combined by an algorithm) in that respect.

Zaleukos

Bum

May 28th, 2009, 20:16
One quick point about Daggerfall: It had a very good 3-D map that you could turn every which way and zoom in and out. That's how I found my way out of every one of those dungeons.

I haven't played it in a looooooong time, but that's how I remember it, anyway.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

May 28th, 2009, 22:14
If they release it with construction kit, by 2012 I might be sold.

DeepO

deep outside

May 29th, 2009, 03:34
Jade Empire 2… oooo…. I liked that game up until the ending, when it decided to go from challenging to "good luck sucker". A good fighting game with an actual story….

My bet would be on Elder Scrolls 5, though. I wonder what land it would be in?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 29th, 2009, 05:14
The Bethsoft press release makes me think the announcement isn't Elder Scrolls V (Though I'll keep fingers crossed). It's a project they've been working on with Splash Damage and all the recent Splash Damage hires have been from the FPS world.

moxie

Watcher

May 29th, 2009, 05:37
Any word yet….?

It was today right? I did a search but couldn't dig anything up…

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2009, 05:59
Hey guys, they just revealed it. The game is called Brink and you can watch the teaser here:
http://brinkthegame.com/

From the teaser, it's slated for 2010 and will be for PC, 360, and PS3. Looks like a new sci-fi IP.

moxie

Watcher

May 29th, 2009, 06:31
bummer, sci-fi.

I was hoping for swords and sworcery, but i guess they need to branch out a little more

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

May 29th, 2009, 07:11
They always try to make a technological jump with each Elder Scrolls (which is very Garriot-like). Morrowind was about a huge seamless outside world and Oblivion was about doing real forests. Just makes me think that ESV will be that much cooler when it arrives.

moxie

Watcher

May 29th, 2009, 07:22
Meh…. "teaser" is an understatement…

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2009, 09:01
OK, I got nothing out of that - other than this isn't for us. Thanks for the heads-up, Moxie.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 29th, 2009, 10:05
Hey - I liek sci-fi

I agree, though, that this trailer didn't reveal much about the game…
Do we know if it's an FPS, an adventure game or an rpg?

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

May 29th, 2009, 10:32
The eye is human-like, the forehead is not, and there is blood.

So we have 3 aspects of that person:

- human ancestry ?
- alien ?
- combat/war/battle/torture/whatever

Whereas the "blood" factor could mean some kind of "mature" game, because children's games don't usually involve blood. I guess they're inspired by Dragon Age on the "mature" thing (blood = mature, dark, gritty).

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 29th, 2009, 10:43
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
One quick point about Daggerfall: It had a very good 3-D map that you could turn every which way and zoom in and out. That's how I found my way out of every one of those dungeons.

I haven't played it in a looooooong time, but that's how I remember it, anyway.
You are a patient man I generally used mark and recall instead.

The 3D-map was certainly a unique design. It could get pretty confusing in large dungeons though. I think the concept would be worth trying again in higher resolution and with modern usability concepts in mind (not that game makers take usability in consideration as much as they should).

Zaleukos

Bum

May 29th, 2009, 11:39
Re the trailer… Mass Effect much?

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

May 29th, 2009, 11:43
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
OK, I got nothing out of that - other than this isn't for us. Thanks for the heads-up, Moxie.
I'll likely buy, play, and complain about it … oh, well …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - Next Game Revealed Thursday