|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Anyone else using 4GB of RAM in WinXP 32bit?

Default Anyone else using 4GB of RAM in WinXP 32bit?

June 5th, 2009, 10:16
Just curious how much RAM your system is showing. I'm using WinXP Pro SP2 right now, and it only reports approx 3.4GB. I'm aware of the 32 bit OS RAM limit, but are there any tweaks that allow it to access more?
Last edited by JDR13; June 5th, 2009 at 10:27.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 5th, 2009, 11:07
That is the most you can get with xp 32bit. 2GB is the most it can use at any given time without context switching anyway so anything over that will give diminishing returns.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

June 5th, 2009, 11:11
Sure I got 4gb on winxp 32. cheaper and easier to buy 2x2gb than 3x1gb.

I'm showing something like 3.4 too. AFAIK the only thing that you can do that affects it is to make sure that your integrated video chip is using as little memory as possible… that is if you got one…. and for some reason keep it enabled….

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

June 5th, 2009, 11:13
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
That is the most you can get with xp 32bit. 2GB is the most it can use at any given time without context switching anyway so anything over that will give diminishing returns.

I thought it could use 3 GB… Or do you mean 2GB is the most it can allocate to an individual program?

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 5th, 2009, 11:48
I would grab 4GB, then go with 64bit when you upgrade to Windows 7. Sure, you won't be able to use up to a gig of it, but it's easier and sometimes cheaper to get 4gb than 3gb. My work computer have 4gb but can allocate 2,74gb of it. This seems to be related to the CPU. My main computer have a Core i7 in it. My server have a 64bit Athlon with 3gb of ram and can allocate all 3gb of it. My older intel, Q6600, could only allocate 2,50gb.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

June 5th, 2009, 13:19
I've already had 4GB for some time now, I was just curious if there were any tweaks to help utilize it better. I also have an unopened copy of Vista 64 Ultimate, but I've decided to sell it and wait for Windows 7.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 5th, 2009, 13:20
Im actually holding back my purchase of an EEE PC while waiting for windows 7

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

June 5th, 2009, 13:40
If you did tweak I think the software would have to be written to take advantage of the extra memory anyway, so I doubt it would do much more than cause problems.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

June 5th, 2009, 14:09
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Im actually holding back my purchase of an EEE PC while waiting for windows 7
The Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope Netbook Remix is really good. Netbooks are too wimpy to play games on anyway (other than with DOSBox, which also works on Linux). You might want to try giving that a spin.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

June 5th, 2009, 14:26
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
The Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope Netbook Remix is really good. Netbooks are too wimpy to play games on anyway (other than with DOSBox, which also works on Linux). You might want to try giving that a spin.
I'm not planning to play games on it. It's going to be my tool for writing schoolwork during the upcoming years in which I have to spend 2 hours per day on a train. I need to be able to have full Office 2007 support a long with compatibility with other win-applications, and I would like that support without hassle. It might also have a second job in being a walkthrough-reader when playing games and a GM tool when leading RPG's. This means that it needs decent PDF support, compatibility with dicerollers etc. I have the required applications available already and I wouldn't want to be forced to learn how to set up a samba network and wireless access to internet on a new operatingsystem.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

June 5th, 2009, 14:29
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Or do you mean 2GB is the most it can allocate to an individual program?
This - well, at least for Windows XP, don't know about Vista.

VPeric

Sentinel

June 5th, 2009, 14:45
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I've already had 4GB for some time now, I was just curious if there were any tweaks to help utilize it better. I also have an unopened copy of Vista 64 Ultimate, but I've decided to sell it and wait for Windows 7.
I have a tweak I use on my computer to better utilize memory … I boot to Mac OS X …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 5th, 2009, 16:24
There are programs here and there that let you see more of the 4GB, but it's really not worth it. They install some deep drivers and who knows what they might mess up. If you had 6GB it might be worth it, but for 4 it's not. Besides, Windows 7 is around the corner (October release I believe)

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 5th, 2009, 16:33
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I'm not planning to play games on it. It's going to be my tool for writing schoolwork during the upcoming years in which I have to spend 2 hours per day on a train. I need to be able to have full Office 2007 support a long with compatibility with other win-applications, and I would like that support without hassle. It might also have a second job in being a walkthrough-reader when playing games and a GM tool when leading RPG's. This means that it needs decent PDF support, compatibility with dicerollers etc. I have the required applications available already and I wouldn't want to be forced to learn how to set up a samba network and wireless access to internet on a new operatingsystem.
All of these applications running at the same time shouldn't even need the full 2 GB, let alone 4.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

June 5th, 2009, 16:52
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
All of these applications running at the same time shouldn't even need the full 2 GB, let alone 4.
I meant I was waiting on Win7 before buying an EEE PC, but not because of 4gb capability. I do not want Vista on EEE PC and since WinXP is going away I would prefer to have the most recent operating system. I will probably upgrade to Win7 64bit on my main computer though.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

June 5th, 2009, 17:20
some of the limits are BIOS based but more often than not there are firmware upgrades.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

June 6th, 2009, 18:35
The only tweak which could be made to use more memory is to have adresses in the 2 GB memory space point out the adress of other parts in memory, that would increase the time of a memory read greatly, so I don't see much use in that at all.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 15th, 2009, 10:47
I went for the 8GB on Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition. When I bought my pc (only 4GB RAM) in March 2008, the drivers weren't good and the support for 64-bit programs was pretty lame. In the Meantime the support has improved a lot and I can use most of my programs again without lifting my finger to much.

Conclusion: go for a 64bit OS.

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)

Bartacus

BartWatch

June 15th, 2009, 11:41
You could use the memory remap function with the registry trick (search on google). But I think the better solution is Vista or Win 7 64 bit.
64 bit support is almost mature and you can find drivers and a lot of applications without problems.

Follow Batracus conclusion!

Furor Vincit Omnia

Gragnak

Black Knight

Send a message via Yahoo to Gragnak

June 15th, 2009, 15:43
I've decided to wait for Windows 7. I've never been impressed by Vista, and I just don't think it's worth the money at this stage.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Anyone else using 4GB of RAM in WinXP 32bit?