|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DOSBox - Interviews

Default DOSBox - Interviews

June 15th, 2009, 03:11
GameBanshee dug up some interviews with the folks behind DOSBox, which is an excellent idea because they deserve some recognition for their work. Head over to Sourceforge or Sir Arthur's Den and here's a snip from the latter:
<strong style="color: #000080;">DOSBox compatibility is pretty remarkable, in almost any case I’ve tried to run a game I have never had to touch the configuration file! Are you pleased with the current compatibility level or you think there is still a long way to walk to reach a “critical” compatibility point?[/b]
We put a lot of thought and work in the default configuration. As of such we can sometimes become a bit annoyed if people advice newbies to change certain settings from the default values, while the game they run doesn’t need it. Those changed settings might actually reduce compatibility for other games. We are quite pleased with the current compatibility level of the default configuration. It also helps that for alot of options you can just runtime change them from the command line quite easily, so if a game doesn’t want EMS or XMS loaded then you can just disable those.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 15th, 2009, 03:11
I don't know value changing or not I can't stand the way it works sometimes and thus feel compelled to change something.

Generally, its just too aggravating to get the to work like they used to. So fortunately, there's not many games I want to replay from back then or skipped and want to play now.

northreign

SkyPirate

June 15th, 2009, 03:14
As for "Those changed settings might actually reduce compatibility for other games"… all you need is a config file for each game and tailor each to its own settings.

northreign

SkyPirate

June 15th, 2009, 10:14
A point and click style user interface menu might be something to work on in the future?

Wulf

Inquisitor

June 15th, 2009, 14:08
There are loading programmes for that.

I personally don't think a point & click menu would be something desirable … It would also drastically reduce the "geekness factor" of DOSBOX.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DOSBox - Interviews