|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Wiz8 debate

Default Wiz8 debate

November 24th, 2006, 17:27
I've got my ironman crew thru Marten's Bluff and back to Mt. Gigas. So the debate is which side to take in the alliance this time. I've done all 3 options in previous wins, so it's just a question of which one appeals at the moment. I'm thinking I might go Trang this time. It's been a while since I've cleansed Mt. Gigas. Thoughts?

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 24th, 2006, 19:30
Hi dteowner, good to see you here.
I thought going double agent was a lot of fun.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 25th, 2006, 00:16
Yep, that's how I went all those years ago too!! However, I never really liked the Trang; I always felt they weren't to be trusted!! I wiped them out as best I could in Wiz 7!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

November 26th, 2006, 17:02
Isn't there 4 options? T'rang, Umpani, Double Agent and Rapax king?

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

November 26th, 2006, 17:56
Hmmm. I've never tried to stay with the Templars long enough to be on good terms with the King. Sounds like I've got a direction. Thanks, bjon45!

Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 27th, 2006, 03:33
Rapax King?? How come I don't remember hearing about that option?

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 27th, 2006, 15:19
I hadn't either. Will give it a spin, although I only get to play on weekends for a while here.

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 27th, 2006, 21:01
I still need to play this game for the 1st time (for more than a couple of hours, anyway).

josephwatson

Watcher

November 28th, 2006, 03:22
It's still one of the best old skule games ever made!! Go for it!!!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

November 28th, 2006, 10:03
@josephwatson - You do that…

Danicek

Sentinel

November 28th, 2006, 10:34
I am pretty sure the rapax areas weren't fully finished (rapax castle and rapax away camp). It kind of seems like there should be a whole storyline involving restoring the queen to power but as it is when I play a rapax game I simply wipe out the Umpani and the T'rang and kill the rapax queen and the 2 spies. Would have been nice if it had been fully implemented like the T'rang and Umpani missions.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

November 28th, 2006, 17:27
How does this game run/install on XP? Haven't played it since my Win 98 days.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

November 28th, 2006, 18:49
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
How does this game run/install on XP? Haven't played it since my Win 98 days.
No problems at all. I don't think I'm even running in compatibility mode. I'd have to check to be sure. Make sure you patch up to v1.2.4 and install the Wizfast utility.

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 28th, 2006, 19:09
one problem with all these replayability options they put in CRPG's..I never do.

Lucky Day

Daywatch

November 28th, 2006, 23:53
There are still a lot of active fansites out there—saw that Flamestryke has one, and there even seemed to be some relatively recent activity on the Sir Tech page. Thanks for the heads-up on the patch and utility,dteowner.

magerette

Hedgewitch

November 30th, 2006, 13:15
Ran fine under win2k when I last played a few years ago, XP should be the same.

As to old school: the game system/mechanics are like the games of the good old days before RPGs were dumbed down, i.e. made more "accessible". The engine, however, is fully 3D, and I thought, pretty good for when it first came out. Battles can be tediously long towards the end, so if you've only got limited play time this may not be the game for you.

A good strategy for beginners is when outside and about to face mobs, find a niche to back into so your party doesn't get surrounded. i.e. your wimps in the back will quickly be killed otherwise.

cutterjohn

Sentinel

December 2nd, 2006, 07:05
Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
Ran fine under win2k when I last played a few years ago, XP should be the same….
…A good strategy for beginners is when outside and about to face mobs, find a niche to back into so your party doesn't get surrounded. i.e. your wimps in the back will quickly be killed otherwise.
Yes, I am presently backed up with my Fairy Mage smothered behind my Mook Ranger with the meat sheilds to the fore, huddled into a tiny crevice on the Arnika road, desparately fending off wave upon wave of Higardi ne'er-do-wells. It is running great on Xp without any problems, and the 3D is really not that bad—certainly no worse than the original Gothic.

This is really a much better game than I realized when I got it. The characters do indeed have distinct little personalities due to the nice scripting and competent voice acting—it has a lot of qualities that you just don't see anymore—like it's hard!… er, …challenging. I can see how the fights could get a bit tedious, but I did find a site to download the Wiz8Fast utility, which I will probably break out later. All in all, a true rpg, deep and layered—and I'm just at the beginning.

Thanks, Role-Player, for getting this started with your review over at the Codex. And of course, RPGWatch for newsbitting it.

magerette

Hedgewitch

December 2nd, 2006, 11:09
Ah, the Arnika Road!!! I spent many an hour or two engaged in multitudinous, multifaceted, melodramatic, and metacognitive mayhem there, as I made my way from point A to B!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

December 2nd, 2006, 18:45
Extra points for 'metacognitive' play, right? Does this require more than two lobes of brainpower? This could be my problem.

@dteownwer
Ironman is definitely impressing me. I am more at the Limp Spaghetti Man level.
I can't imagine this game without the death-cheating reload feature.

magerette

Hedgewitch

December 2nd, 2006, 19:02
Well, I didn't play Ironman for a long, long time. I've got 6 wins, 3 Rapax Rifts, and over a hundred monestaries on my resume at this point. After 1000+ hours of gaming, Ironman isn't quite so daunting, although I must admit I'm being pretty careful about my progress.

See, the "real man" plays a solo faerie ninja on difficult level with ironman. I've done that thru Arnika, but I had been playing too much of the game when I tried that and I ended up quitting.

dteowner

Shoegazer

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Wiz8 debate