|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic - Clash of Heroes Preview @ G4TV

Default Might & Magic - Clash of Heroes Preview @ G4TV

June 8th, 2009, 19:25
When did Might & Magic become so jRPG? G4TV has a short article and a few screens on the NDS Might & Magic puzzle thing, Clash of Heroes. You'll need to like your ears pointy and your characters cute:
In some respects, Clash is a Zelda-esque Japanese RPG, complete with turn-based combat and conversations presented with anime-looking headshots and text boxes. The game is slated to include five major quests, plenty of fantasy figures (from knights to necromancers), and the usual mix of exploration, combat, and conversation you’d expect from the genre.
What sets this apart from most games in this genre, however, is how when you get to the aforementioned turn-based combat, the game becomes more of a puzzler. The idea is that you have to line up three of the same color units, with three vertical matches resulting in an attack, while three horizontal matches form a defensive wall. These matches are made by moving characters with the stylus, kind of like you would in Bejeweled. Not that you can just move your units all willy-nilly; you can only move so many per turn, though there are occasional special attacks — such as a magic arrow — that don’t count as a move.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 8th, 2009, 19:25
Wot, thats M&M?? Wow. I mean I love anime and I love might and magic, but still… some things should not be mixed. Oh well.

elikal

Sentinel

June 8th, 2009, 19:50
Such tragegy, the demise of this brand.

easthaven

Traveler

June 8th, 2009, 21:08
There is a special place in hell reserved for those that do such things to great franchises.

Oxlar

Watchdog

June 8th, 2009, 22:28
looks like theyre trying to create a Puzzle Quest-type of thing

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

June 8th, 2009, 22:52
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
looks like theyre trying to create a Puzzle Quest-type of thing
Exactly my thought !

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 8th, 2009, 23:01
Believe me I'm as disgusted as you at the 'MTV' terminology I'm about to use but… wow are they ever pimping the M&M brand here…

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2009, 00:04
I saw some screens of this title a few days ago at Celestial Heavens. The new art style is complete garbage in my humble opinion. HoMMV had colourful yet still very decent distinct style and Dark Messiah of M&M was akin to dark&gritty(tm). AFAIK the original might and magic series was somewhere between those two.

Surlent

On ghost mode

June 9th, 2009, 00:16
I saw this previewed a couple of days ago, and thought they'd used the wrong screenshots for the game.

I *so* don't get it.

I mean, it's not like they are going to be attracting *ANY* of the existing fans with this game, so they might as well start over. So why are they calling it Might & Magic? Sounds to me like some less-than-brilliant marketing VP didn't know what to do with a generic anime RPG/ puzzle game and said, "Hey, I got an idea" and they slapped the brand on it with very little thought.

RampantCoyote

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2009, 00:22
Let's hope this game never becomes the fan favorite in the series. Otherwise we might all have to meet somewhere and toast some Kool-Aid.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

June 9th, 2009, 05:40
The fact that it had nothing much to do with Warlords didn't make Puzzle Quest any less fun, and this one looks like it might even surpass PQ.

Zborno

Watcher

June 9th, 2009, 06:14
I'm with RampantCoyote … Might & Magic means little to my kids even, let alone those without RPG-daddies …

The game itself actually looks interesting to me, just don't get the franchise tie-in. But then there were a billion Japanese Wizardry games, even one called Asterick!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 9th, 2009, 18:07
Yeah. Sell licenses to people far, far away living from the *original* audience …

… And hope nobody notices …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

Default Dear Ubisoft

June 16th, 2009, 01:43
STOP raping one of the greatest game series ever created. And by the way, attaching 'Might and Magic' to the title doesn't make it so. Might and Magic =/= Japanese so called RPG.

You can bake and frost dog poop all you want and call it a cake, but it's still dog poop.

Nyxalinth

Traveler

June 16th, 2009, 02:41
Originally Posted by Nyxalinth View Post
STOP raping one of the greatest game series ever created. And by the way, attaching 'Might and Magic' to the title doesn't make it so. Might and Magic =/= Japanese so called RPG.
… or an action game from a couple of years ago either …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Might & Magic - Clash of Heroes Preview @ G4TV