|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 - Monk Class Revealed

Default 4th Diablo Class - The Monk

August 21st, 2009, 21:16
Seems the 4th Diablo 3 class is gonna be the Monk. I guess it'll be close to the Assassin gameplay-wise. Here's hoping they pull off a cool monk. Not a cliched shaolin monk class. Hope they give it a unique spin.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

August 21st, 2009, 21:39
Has this been officially confirmed? Word on the street is they were not going to reveal another class for a while, not even at Blizzcon.

Regardless, I must reiterate: I positively cannot wait for this title to be released. I am currently playing D2 after several years hiatus, and it is still a great game.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

August 21st, 2009, 21:41
Originally Posted by EvilManagedCare View Post
Has this been officially confirmed? Word on the street is they were not going to reveal another class for a while, not even at Blizzcon.

Regardless, I must reiterate: I positively cannot wait for this title to be released. I am currently playing D2 after several years hiatus, and it is still a great game.
Yup, it's official. The starcraftorg twitter feed confirmed that Chris Metzen confirmed that the new class is the Monk. It's not playable in this build, but they are showing off gameplay footage of it.

EDIT: And on a side note, WoW's new addon is Cataclysm. Officially revealed.
EDIT2: The Worgen race have joined the Alliance. And I'm guessing that the Goblins will join the Horde.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

August 21st, 2009, 21:49
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Seems the 4th Diablo 3 class is gonna be the Monk. I guess it'll be close to the Assassin gameplay-wise. Here's hoping they pull off a cool monk. Not a cliched shaolin monk class. Hope they give it a unique spin.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

August 21st, 2009, 21:52
I just can't understand, as hard as I try, how so many people can be so excited about this click-fest/loot-ahoy type of games, but whatever, hope it comes soon enough for all you guys

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 21st, 2009, 21:52
@JemyM: Are you being sarcastic?

I just can't understand, as hard as I try, how so many people can be so excited about this click-fest/loot-ahoy type of games, but whatever, hope it comes soon enough for all you guys
I guess you didn't get bit by the bug. It's terribly addictive and fun. It's easy to get into and easy to get out. You can invest as much time as you want. And the fun is amplified just because the game is that polished.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

August 21st, 2009, 22:11
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Going back to when Diablo was released in the late 90's the RPG genre was an absolute mess. It was almost like the early sixties when the Beatles saved Rock and Roll, for better or worse, from the Teen idols and Pat Boone. Baldur's Gate wasn't out yet and previous RPG titles were bad (remember the SSI D&D title?). Diablo was released and singlehandedly revitalized RPGs, simultaneously ruining it with this type of gameplay that would plague subsequent RPGs. Sure, there would be Fallout 1 & 2 and the IE games, but the predominant design of CRPGs would be along the lines of Diablo. And they would mostly fall horribly, horribly, short.

Why was Diablo so much fun? You never knew what was going to drop off the bosses; you could play for FREE on Battle.net with players from all over the world; the graphics were dark and brutal; the music was probably the best to date of any game and was as dark and scary as the graphics.

But, that said, it's not everybody's cup of tea. And that's okay too. I wish the predominant form of the CRPG today was that of the classic games from the 80's & 90's where there were puzzles, riddles, and dare I say it, no automap, but alas…

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

August 21st, 2009, 23:28
Also, one has to realize that Diablo was first and foremost a perfect Co-Op multiplayer game. I tried it in single player, was bored before I reached level 20. Played it in a LAN with two friends — pure bliss. The addiction came from a fun mix of cooperation, competition, action and of course random luck. Didn't have Internet yet, back then, so I was never really into Battle.net (was filled with creeps, anyway).

Baldur's Gate after that was anticipated by us not because it promised to be a great RPG, but because it looked like a "real" RPG that could be played in a LAN like Diablo. Sadly, MP didn't work out so well in BG.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

August 22nd, 2009, 00:14
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
@JemyM: Are you being sarcastic?
Actually no, this is definitely the class I will play.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

August 22nd, 2009, 00:46
Ditto, for me.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2009, 00:53
Checkout this gameplay video. Looks pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_IIe4Wufyw

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2009, 00:57
It's up at the official site: class page and trailer page.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

August 22nd, 2009, 01:00
Thanks for posting the info, danutz_++. I'll be curious to see how they work it, but if it's anything like the Assassin, I'll be happy. Wizard will probably be my first character, though.

Diii.net must be jammed with people checking this out as it's loading as slow as molasses. They have a monk gameplay trailer posted but when you hit play it says it's been pulled —probably waiting for something more official.
http://www.diii.net/blog/comments/di…ameplay-video/

Edit: Thrasher's posted a you tube link in the news thread that works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_IIe4Wufyw

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 22nd, 2009, 01:03
I can't get it(the trailer) to load—says it's unavailable for viewing. Anyone else get it to work?

Edit: The you tube link works fine, though. Reminds me of the paladin a bit.

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 22nd, 2009, 01:09
Just worked for me.

Nice prayer beads, BTW, LOL!

Seven-sided strike. Impressive.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2009, 01:10
Trailer works fine for me.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

August 22nd, 2009, 01:23
Probably my browser settings. I'll try again later.

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 22nd, 2009, 01:25
I'd try installing the latest flashplayer plugin.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2009, 02:14
Looks like a really fun melee class, definitely got me more interested in the game.

Toaster

Sentinel

August 22nd, 2009, 02:22
Some more gameplay vids featuring the Monk, and many of his combos. Looks impressive. Great eye-candy.

Monk Gameplay
Monk Cripwave Power Gameplay
Monk Exploding Palm Gameplay
Monk Imp Defense Gameplay
Monk Hundred Fists Gameplay
Monk Seven Strikes Gameplay

I love the attack combo where the monk just keeps zapping from enemy to enemy like in animes. Looks cool. Oh, yeah, it's the seven strikes move. Very cool.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

Tags
diablo 3 monk class
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 - Monk Class Revealed