|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Disciples III - Interview @ IGN

Default Disciples III - Interview @ IGN

July 25th, 2009, 06:08
Titled The Renaissance of Disciples III, IGN has an interview with producer Denis Epifanov. Starting at the beginning:
IGN: It's been seven years since the last Disciples game, and the design team on Disciples III is new to the franchise. What's new in Disciples III, and how will does it improve on the first two games?

Denis Epifanov: When we started to work with Disciples, we realized that we had a very complicated path to tread. Disciples and Disciples II were successful games. So the title already had a history of its own, a whole army of fans and a long list of fans' expectations. We understood a great responsibility lay on us. On the other side, it was obvious that the Disciples series must evolve and it wouldn't be appreciated by gamers if we just cloned Disciples II and called it Disciples III.

First of all, we are trying to make Disciples look really nice but keep its authentic atmosphere. Disciples III is fully done in 3D and uses most modern technologies but it is still Disciples. 3D gives us more freedom in making the game and its visualization. With modern technologies, we can make Nevendaar and its inhabitants much more believable. It is very important now as more than 10 years had passed since Disciples had been created. Actually we've got a new generation of gamers that have grown up and lots of them didn't know a thing about the Disciples series. So if we didn't make D3 a modern game none of them would even want to play it.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 25th, 2009, 06:08
Did anyone like Disciples 2 or any disciple game? I played that game and thought it was too basic.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

July 25th, 2009, 06:46
I liked them. Very similar to heroes of might and magic.

rune_74

SasqWatch

July 25th, 2009, 19:53
"On the other side, it was obvious that the Disciples series must evolve and it wouldn't be appreciated by gamers if we just cloned Disciples II and called it Disciples III."

Well… that's debatable, isn't it? *cough*

DogInARocket

Watcher

July 25th, 2009, 20:22
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Did anyone like Disciples 2 or any disciple game? I played that game and thought it was too basic.

Same here. I was very impressed with the artistic style of the game, but the combat was too simplistic and small scale compared to games like HoMM or King's Bounty.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 25th, 2009, 21:22
I never really got the appeal of Disciples beyond the art style.

HoMM series seemed vastly superior in pretty much every way, at least to me.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 25th, 2009, 23:35
I like HOMM3 better but I liked Disciples better than homm 4 and 5.

DogInARocket

Watcher

July 26th, 2009, 09:45
Nah, Disciples was way too simple. Homm5 is vastly superior (gameplay wise, not talking about art, music or anything). Homm4 with its lack of any AI may be more comparable, not because Disciples 1&2 didn't have a good AI, but because the very limited options in battle made gameplay too simple (which doesn't mean it was easy, you just didn't have many tactical options to play with, either a battle was too easy or too hard and there wasn't much you could do about it). All IMHO of course.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

July 26th, 2009, 17:33
I've never played one … and honestly haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise. I keep visiting these threads to see if the opinions of folks I value (i.e. you guys) would sway me .. but rather I keep getting my position solidified.

On the other hand, it was from here I got hooked into the Anno games, and am loving the latest PC & DS release …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Disciples III - Interview @ IGN