|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » Did you trade in your old gas guzzler? Think hard!!

Default Did you trade in your old gas guzzler? Think hard!!

August 1st, 2009, 04:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOBlqUqUZ8&eurl

"A strong president, means having the strength to resist the temptation of taking all that power isn't yours" - Ron Paul

"If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions",- Government

mudsling3

Sentinel

August 1st, 2009, 06:51
Interesting. Thoughts and spin from the left? I hope y'all won't try the "can versus will" cop-out, either.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 1st, 2009, 07:04
I'm boycotting Glenn Beck(not that I was a regular viewer*cough*) after his "Obama hates white people and is a racist" comment, so if you want lefty spin from me, you'll have to transcribe a synopsis of whatever he's peddling.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 1st, 2009, 12:49
I honestly tried to watch the video, but the only thing I could focus on was Kimberly Guilfoyle.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 1st, 2009, 19:28
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I honestly tried to watch the video, but the only thing I could focus on was Kimberly Guilfoyle.
That is how FOX news operates … T&A + sensationalism = ratings.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 1st, 2009, 19:49
Possible major pooch-screwing by the dipshits in Washington. I can document the first half of this, but haven't been able to get confirmation of the second half yet.

Apparently, to guarantee that the cashed-in clunkers don't get back on the road, the CARS law stipulates that the engine will be treated with a solvent so the pistons seize if you start the engine again. An unusually smart idea, I must say.
"The clunker will never run again. In fact, it'll be pumped with a solvent to ensure the engine freezes up before likely being squashed into a cube."

If information from a local dealer is true (he's got no motivation to lie), Congress has proven once again that they could screw up vanilla ice cream. Supposedly, the solvent specified in the CARS bill just so happens to be an environmental hazard (this wouldn't be a stretch for a fast acting solvent strong enough to break down motor oil), which means the junk yards and scrap yards cannot accept the vehicles from dealers without getting an EPA permit.

I'll keep looking for a reputable source to confirm this little hiccup.

Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 1st, 2009, 19:55
Beck has a point, even if he's only balking at this at its face value. The dot-gov extension is reserved for goverment sites, so I suppose we should assume this is a genuine site. If it is genuine, then why should anyone have to agree to all that?

I once brought my own PC to the place I worked, because it was much better than the ones they were using. My results were good, and I went on to become the top performer at the company. But when I decided to go out on my own, the company seized my PC, claiming it was theirs since I had used it on their property.

They copied everything I had and after I had gone courted all my contacts and clients, even using my name and inferring that I was still associated with them. I can tell you that it wasn't any fun.

Why should anyone ever have to agree to stuff like that? Beck is out there, but he wasn't crazy this time. That's crazy stuff to have to concede, just to get your share of a government handout.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

August 1st, 2009, 19:56
I have little doubt - my last company supplied materials to the semiconductor industry, and I know from those guys that any chemical that works *really* well is likely to be very nasty …

Personally we have donated our last couple of cars to charity - get a better write off than a crappy trade in. My wife wanted to do this for our van, but we still owe a bit and from my calculations it just wouldn't be worth it at this point.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 1st, 2009, 20:22
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
I'm boycotting Glenn Beck(not that I was a regular viewer*cough*) after his "Obama hates white people and is a racist" comment, so if you want lefty spin from me, you'll have to transcribe a synopsis of whatever he's peddling.
In a nutshell, if you use the CARS.gov site (which the dealers must use for the clunkers program), you have to accept an extremely intrusive use agreement. It says in no uncertain terms that while you're logged on that site, the government *owns* your computer and *everything* on it. For an added kick, they are allowed to take any file they like from your computer and give it to whomever they like, "domestic or foreign". Seriously. I don't think there's anything about them giving ownership back, either, which means Uncle Sam owns your computer and everything on it forever and ever.

And y'all complained about wiretapping.

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 1st, 2009, 20:47
I'd be very, very surprised if the claim wasn't thrown out of court with extreme prejudice should the gov't try to pursue it. It's even more ridiculous than most EULA's, and they're not worth a whole lot either.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

August 1st, 2009, 21:21
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
In a nutshell, if you use the CARS.gov site (which the dealers must use for the clunkers program), you have to accept an extremely intrusive use agreement. It says in no uncertain terms that while you're logged on that site, the government *owns* your computer and *everything* on it. For an added kick, they are allowed to take any file they like from your computer and give it to whomever they like, "domestic or foreign". Seriously. I don't think there's anything about them giving ownership back, either, which means Uncle Sam owns your computer and everything on it forever and ever.

And y'all complained about wiretapping.
Thanks, dte. Reminds me of the Hellgate:London dataminer thing that caused me never to play the game. I tend to blame it on a paranoid industry in EA's case, but exactly what kind of copyright enfringement or theoretical pirating is the government afraid of? Thumbs down from me on this one, assuming the facts are in line.

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 1st, 2009, 22:07
The warning about the government owning and having complete access to your files etc, seems very similar to the warning that pops up when you log on to their secure networks. Maybe some dumb-dumb just copy/pasted the warning to cover his ass…

Korplem

Shipwreck

August 1st, 2009, 22:30
Actually, Cash for Clunkers is turning into an unbridled success. This is REAL fiscal stimulus with REAL personal and business incentives.

Great job, Obama Admin!

elkston

Sentinel

August 2nd, 2009, 04:33
Originally Posted by elkston View Post
Actually, Cash for Clunkers is turning into an unbridled success. This is REAL fiscal stimulus with REAL personal and business incentives.

Great job, Obama Admin!
Well, there are a few holes in the plan, which is to be expected when congress is involved (not the least of which being a program intended to run a few months ran out of money in less than 2 weeks), but overall I have to agree with you, elkston. If Uncle Sam is going to hand out free cash, this was a pretty effective way to do it. Barack done good.

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 2nd, 2009, 11:30
If Uncle Sam is going to hand out free cash, this was a pretty effective way to do it. Barack done good.
It gets better: I heard Lucifer just put in a huge order for ice skates.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

August 2nd, 2009, 17:50

Hey, if I'm going to hammer the (avalanche of) mistakes, I should applaud the (extremely rare) successes. Otherwise, I'm just another political hypocrite.

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 4th, 2009, 22:38
Originally Posted by mudsling3 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOBlqUqUZ8&eurl
A FOX news video? Waste of bandwidth…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 4th, 2009, 23:28

Hey, if I'm going to hammer the (avalanche of) mistakes, I should applaud the (extremely rare) successes. Otherwise, I'm just another political hypocrite.
Looks like your false Republican overlords will do their best to kill it before it gets too far from the cradle:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25722.html

You gotta love it when a politician talks about "the stupidity coming out of Washington."

magerette

Hedgewitch

August 5th, 2009, 00:33
With the extra funding coming out of a pot of gold that's already been approved, I don't see where they've got a leg to stand on. If the extra $2B was a new authorization, I could see putting up a fiscal responsibility front (while offering to hush up for future considerations), but this money is already flushed—might as well flush it on something that's actually working.

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 5th, 2009, 02:04
DeMint (nice name there. ) is the same SC Senator that challenged the auto bailout based on his dislike of unions. Could SC be one of those states that has non-unionized foreign owned automobile plants? Could that explain his self-centered biases?

DING! BMW!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/…auto-industry/

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » Did you trade in your old gas guzzler? Think hard!!