|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arcania - Preview Extract

Default Arcania - Preview Extract

August 5th, 2009, 15:58
World of Gothic has an extract of a recent Arcania preview in PC Games.de. The extract is long enough to qualify as a full preview article and here's a sample:
The biggest part of the Arcania game is set on a completely new island, where a fresh Nameless Hero steps into the spotlight. The young adventurer discovers that his village is destroyed by the troops of King Rhobar the third. He vows to take revenge and sets out to become strong and able to push King Rhobar from his throne. The new hero will meet several known game characters from the previous games. Among them are Diego and the wizard Xardas. In Arcania one will find its way on two islands, of which one constitutes about 90% of the game world. The game world isn’t bordered by any invisible barriers except that the NH cannot swim and will not go beyond a certain depth in the water.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

August 5th, 2009, 15:58
Skill points can now be freely invested in ‘close combat’, ‘long range combat’ and ‘magic’ skills without the need of a teacher.
And that's another reason for me to NOT buy this game. This is NOT Gothic, nor a successor to it, more a different game that uses similar names.

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)
Bartacus is offline

Bartacus

Bartacus's Avatar
BartWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium - Flanders - Antwerp
Posts: 1,539

Default 

August 5th, 2009, 20:11
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
And that's another reason for me to NOT buy this game. This is NOT Gothic, nor a successor to it, more a different game that uses similar names.

I have to agree, the more I hear about this game… the less I want to play it.

Also…

The game world isn’t bordered by any invisible barriers except that the NH cannot swim and will not go beyond a certain depth in the water.
Are they serious? First they took away diving, and now you can't even swim?!?
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,298

Default 

August 5th, 2009, 20:23
I don't get it, what's with the "no swimming" deal. It's the same in Risen. Why??
Krzychu is offline

Krzychu

Krzychu's Avatar
Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 486

Default 

August 5th, 2009, 20:54
Does everyone have to swim?
Konjad is offline

Konjad

Konjad's Avatar
Watch traitor from Codex

#5

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 712

Default 

August 5th, 2009, 21:10
Originally Posted by Krzychu View Post
I don't get it, what's with the "no swimming" deal. It's the same in Risen. Why??
You cant swim in risen either? Damn, that's very very disapointing.

And yes many new games games doesnt have swiming or diving, i love diving, it really adds to the gameworld to have secret underwater areas, sunken ships to explore etc.. i dont get it

Finding teachers is also a part of the fun with playing a RPG imo.. why dont they just do "Gears of Wars" or something similarily braindead and soulless since they obviously dont understand the genre.
bemushroomed is offline

bemushroomed

bemushroomed's Avatar
outlander

#6

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 673

Default 

August 5th, 2009, 21:16
Yep, this looks like a very dumbed down non-Gothic. It also doesn't help that JokeWood is the publisher…
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#7

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,440

Default 

August 5th, 2009, 22:32
Originally Posted by Krzychu View Post
I don't get it, what's with the "no swimming" deal. It's the same in Risen. Why??
You mean you don't get why we wouldn't like it? Didn't you play Gothic 1 or 2?

It was a lot of fun to discover additional places that you had to swim to, or caves that could only be reached by diving, even if there weren't very many.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,298

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 03:31
Ah well … I just pre-ordered at GameStop, due in April 2010 according to them. I'll give it a shot … can't be worse than Two Worlds or Dark Messiah or Dungeon Lords, I figure …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,542

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 05:31
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
can't be worse than Two Worlds or Dark Messiah or Dungeon Lords, I figure …
TW and Dark Messiah weren't bad at all for what they were.

Dungeon Lords on the other hand…..
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,298

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 08:51
Dungeon Lords wasn't without its charms

This, Arcania, however… I'm trying hard to give it the benefit of the doubt, but inside all my warning lights are going wild.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 13:32
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You mean you don't get why we wouldn't like it?
No, no - I don't understand why the devs decided to not include the ability to swim, since it was such a cool feature in both Gothics. There was no diving in in G3. And now Risen (as well as Arcania, but I'm not that interested in it)… why?
Krzychu is offline

Krzychu

Krzychu's Avatar
Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 486

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 13:33
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Dungeon Lords wasn't without its charms

This, Arcania, however… I'm trying hard to give it the benefit of the doubt, but inside all my warning lights are going wild.
I absolutely agree … I didn't just pick those three games at random …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,542

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 13:33
Originally Posted by Krzychu View Post
No, no - I don't understand why the devs decided to not include the ability to swim, since it was such a cool feature in both Gothics. There was no diving in in G3. And now Risen (as well as Arcania, but I'm not that interested in it)… why?
The most likely explanation is that it takes extra work, and apparently isn't perceived to be worth it.

In my opinion, it was one of the cooler aspects of Ultima 9 - a game which did underwater exploration in a nice way.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 13:44
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
The most likely explanation is that it takes extra work, and apparently isn't perceived to be worth it.
That's the only logical explanation I can see, but would it really be that hard to implement it?

The reason I'm concerned about it is that no swimming means either "invisible walls" or a lack of inland water, which immediately makes the landscape a little less imaginative and a little more boring.
Krzychu is offline

Krzychu

Krzychu's Avatar
Sentinel

#15

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 486

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 13:59
Originally Posted by Krzychu View Post
That's the only logical explanation I can see, but would it really be that hard to implement it?

The reason I'm concerned about it is that no swimming means either "invisible walls" or a lack of inland water, which immediately makes the landscape a little less imaginative and a little more boring.
I'm guessing it's about the animations required for swimming/diving/floating, as well as having to design the landscape/meshes for underwater environments in the terrain.

Not that I'm an expert, but those two would require quite a bit of extra effort.

If you ask me, who's an explorer before ANYTHING else in a CRPG, it's definitely worth it - but in terms of revenue - it's definitely NOT. Why? Because we're all going to buy this game anyway, now aren't we
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 14:22
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Because we're all going to buy this game anyway, now aren't we
That depends which game you have in mind.

Ahh, well, they can make up for the exploration value with climbing, but still
Krzychu is offline

Krzychu

Krzychu's Avatar
Sentinel

#17

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 486

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 14:39
Originally Posted by Krzychu View Post
That depends which game you have in mind.

Ahh, well, they can make up for the exploration value with climbing, but still
True, I forgot about Arcania… Which is pretty stupid of me, considering this is a thread about that game

In that case, you got a point. Swimming and underwater exploration just might be the kind of feature that'd make me buy it.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 14:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If you ask me, who's an explorer before ANYTHING else in a CRPG, it's definitely worth it - but in terms of revenue - it's definitely NOT. Why? Because we're all going to buy this game anyway, now aren't we
Me? Yes. For many, as Krzychu said, it depends on whether you say Risen or Arcania.

… just saw your reply … agree - swimming might help. But really, it is part of an overall design approach that the game just doesn't seem to have.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,542

Default 

August 6th, 2009, 16:24
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
In my opinion, it was one of the cooler aspects of Ultima 9 - a game which did underwater exploration in a nice way.

Strange coincidence that you mention that game, a friend of mine just gave me a copy of U9, and I was debating whether or not it was worth playing…
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,298
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Arcania - Preview Extract
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:33.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch