|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » Taiwan in Crisis

Default Taiwan in Crisis

August 11th, 2009, 13:14
This has got to be the worst Typhoon I've ever seen in Taiwan. Whole villages washed away or buried in mud. I'm not joking. I was watching the news and there is a village that is gone, totally underwater now. I've been here for seven years now and never seen anything like this before.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo…,3610299.story
http://www.mysinchew.com/node/28106
http://blog.taragana.com/n/taiwan-mi…dslide-136253/

The north part where I live in wasn't hit that bad, but in the south and middle parts of Taiwan there are floods, blackouts and people that are stranded or buried in their homes.

Hell even a rescue helicopter went down trying to help. The devastation is beyond words.
http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_…Society_TAIWAN

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

August 11th, 2009, 13:31
There's a collection of 36 photographs on boston.com about Typhoon Morakot for a bigger picture. Crazy.

Glad you're OK.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

August 11th, 2009, 14:05
I've seen some stuff on the media too, and it looks absolutely awful. Also happy to hear that you're OK. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, and all of Taiwan as well.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

August 11th, 2009, 15:19
Thanks guys. I'm ok. I just feel bad for the people down south. Sarah's watching the news constantly. I don't understand much, but the pictures tell the whole story anyways. 11 bridges washed out, houses falling into the mudslides/floods, people begging the rescue workers to get their families. It really is nothing like I've ever seen. On top of all this it's now showing how unprepared the government was for this.

I'm just glad that Sarah's parents are ok. They live in Kaohsiung. It wasn't as bad as in the mountain areas surrounding Kaohsiung, but still blackouts and floods. Not a pretty sight down there.

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

August 11th, 2009, 15:43
Terrible stuff—we've had a little coverage of it here, but those links are more detailed. Glad to hear you and your gf's relatives are all okay. We had some terrible flooding over here this spring in Washington and North Dakota—I don't think anyone really visualizes how much damage and devastation just plain water and wind can do until they see it themselves.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

August 14th, 2009, 03:24
I know what you mean magerette. I never quite understood the horror of Katrina until now. They never really showed much of what was going on there on the news.

I have the unfortunate pleasure of saying that Taiwan and Myranmar have something in common. They both refused help when it was needed most. As long as I live here I will never understand the asian concept of losing face or the arrogance that your ego is more important than other peoples lives. The beloved president here refused help from both Japan and the U.S. all because he didn't want to lose face. This concept of losing face is so foriegn to me that it's like something from another planet. I don't care if it has been part of the culture for centuries. When other people die because you're too proud then there is something seriously wrong with that thinking.

The good president is now feeling the sting of his decision. The news is now saying that because it was in the south where most of the poorer people or native Taiwanese live then he didn't do as much as he could of done. If his precious Han people had been in danger then maybe he would of accepted help.

He is, of course, now trying to backtrack and say he did accept help in the form of money and is preparing a list of things that are needed. But tell that to the people who were buried alive in their own homes or died because they couldn't get out of the area. If he accepted help in the form of people with knowledge about disasters then maybe some of those lives could have been saved.

Anyways, sorry about the rant. I just don't understand people sometimes….well most of the time actually.

Some truly amazing and horrifying pictures.
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200…n_morakot.html

Despite all my rage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; August 14th, 2009 at 05:31.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

August 14th, 2009, 04:48
It is always sad what we learn about teh dark side of human nature in these situations.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » Taiwan in Crisis