|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Arcania Impressions

Default RPGWatch Feature: Arcania Impressions

September 1st, 2009, 10:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
In any case, a delay for a product that's far from ready HAS to be good news if the alternative is on-time release. If you don't agree, then you're saying you prefer a deeply flawed game to a delayed one that has a chance of working as intended.

That's how I see it, anyway.
That's the way I see it as well. It's better than rushing it out the door…..again.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
skavenhorde is offline

skavenhorde

skavenhorde's Avatar
Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

#41

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 5,408

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 10:47
I haven't been following this project all that closely, and I was making a general observation. If it's as you say, it is indeed pretty much par for course.
Prime Junta is offline

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

#42

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,540

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 10:51
You guys overlook that a 3rd platform has been added to the project schedule. It's clear that a new schedule and budget planning had to be negotiated. So it's quite possible the "delay" has been planned for quite a long time now because this way the game gets out of the way of all the upcoming RPGs. Plus JoWooD is in the process of expanding their own distribution network in Europe at the moment. They will earn more money with Arcania next year.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#43

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,836

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 10:52
Good news in this case doesn't mean good game, though

I expect, AT BEST, to get a functional mediocre CRPG.

Without delay, we'd get a broken CRPG.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#44

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,476

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 11:01
I dunno DArtagnan … based on what we're seeing, it seems later in the release schedule and earlier in the actual product readiness than the normal '6 month delay' to kick in … to me it feels more like Dungeon Lords.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#45

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,419

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 11:11
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
You guys overlook that a 3rd platform has been added to the project schedule. It's clear that a new schedule and budget planning had to be negotiated. So it's quite possible the "delay" has been planned for quite a long time now because this way the game gets out of the way of all the upcoming RPGs. Plus JoWooD is in the process of expanding their own distribution network in Europe at the moment. They will earn more money with Arcania next year.
This may be so…but they're still prototyping, so I find it hard to believe it could have ever made this year (and maybe even next) in any circumstance whatsoever.

Anyway, there's clearly not enough data to work with other than there is no game as yet.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#46

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 11:16
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I dunno DArtagnan … based on what we're seeing, it seems later in the release schedule and earlier in the actual product readiness than the normal '6 month delay' to kick in … to me it feels more like Dungeon Lords.
Yeah, I agree and I have a very bad feeling about this.

I was talking about the general idea of delays late in the schedule being bad, which I most certainly don't agree with - beyond the disappointment of having to wait.

But everything about Arcania is starting to rub me the wrong way, and the completely NPC-less videos we've seen didn't bode well.

With this recent bit about region lockout - there's little left to be open-minded about.

But a delay is better than no delay, given our information. That's why it's good news, from a logical standpoint.

Good as in "better than no delay", not good as in simply "good"
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#47

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,476

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 11:54
dont you know jowood?

if they opted for a "delay", it really means there's NOTHING ready - otherwise they would have already published the thing, and it would not differ much from the state of 90% of their products at release date.

they've got the wordiest marketing team, but close to (now postponed) release, there's nothing but a rough scenario, a character that's able to run about the place, some mobs of goblins waiting at random places and the concept of a world divided into separated sections/chapters.

my hypothesis is still there is no game, or at least there is no rpg which is the kind of game that was supposed to be there.

they dare talking about making the best thing possible, but do they realize they look like the worst thing imaginable atm?
________
VAPIR REVIEWS
Last edited by baron; April 28th, 2011 at 10:13.
baron is offline

baron

baron's Avatar
Custom User Title

#48

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 126

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 11:56
I give up trying to explain what I meant
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#49

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,476

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 18:28
…but this really is the opposite of the core values of Gothic, where an open world to explore is essential.
I read the article a few times. The way it reads it really does seem to indicate that, unlike previous Gothic games, a change in story chapter also means a change of geography.

Hopefully this isn't the case. Here's a quote from Spellbound:

"We studied all existing Gothic games in great detail and made a list of all the features and stuff. And the list is long. Very long."
You can read it yourself here.

One of the inescapable features of G1, G2, & G3 is a free roaming world. Chapter changes in G1 & G2 gave you access to additional geography but did not remove the abiltiy to traverse geography from earlier chapters.

So hopefully Spellbound means what they say when they said that they "studied all existing Gothic games in great detail."

Chapter changes that also change where you can explore will feel very much like 'levels' … something you'd experience in Super Mario Brothers game… not appropriate to a 'Gothic' game.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#50

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,982

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 19:40
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post

One of the inescapable features of G1, G2, & G3 is a free roaming world. Chapter changes in G1 & G2 gave you access to additional geography but did not remove the abiltiy to traverse geography from earlier chapters.
Except in the final chapter of G2 - and I found that to be the worst part of that game's design.
fragonard is offline

fragonard

Watchdog

#51

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 198

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 20:19
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I give up trying to explain what I meant
well ,this time you managed to make yourself clear, eventually.
perhaps if you keep your thoughts as short as possible?.
________
Full-size ford specifications
Last edited by baron; April 28th, 2011 at 10:13.
baron is offline

baron

baron's Avatar
Custom User Title

#52

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 126

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 20:26
Originally Posted by baron View Post
well ,this time you managed to make yourself clear, eventually.
perhaps if you keep your thoughts as short as possible….
Roflmao

On the other hand the forum would be half as interesting if DA followed your advice.

The irony is that DA's post in this thread had been very clear and comprehensible, I think, and that your post had nothing to do with not understanding him, but simply with having a different opinion.
bkrueger is offline

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

#53

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 796

Default 

September 1st, 2009, 20:48
Originally Posted by fragonard View Post
Except in the final chapter of G2 - and I found that to be the worst part of that game's design.
Yes I forgot about that. Perhaps that I forgot about that proves your opinion.

However, in the context of the game, you do travel to another island so it makes sense at least. But I agree with you, I'd rather have had that last part of G2 connected to the rest of the game world.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#54

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,982

Default 

September 2nd, 2009, 00:48
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
The chapters are region based and thus you are locked out from regions you visited in a previous chapter.
See above. I think you might have missed Myrthos' clarification.

Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
I read the article a few times. The way it reads it really does seem to indicate that, unlike previous Gothic games, a change in story chapter also means a change of geography.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#55

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,967

Default 

September 2nd, 2009, 12:13
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
The irony is that DA's post in this thread had been very clear and comprehensible, I think, and that your post had nothing to do with not understanding him, but simply with having a different opinion.
that's right, so why does he keep trying to explain himself ???

(i really mean most threads, not those with my comments alone)
________
Kitchen Measures
Last edited by baron; April 28th, 2011 at 10:14.
baron is offline

baron

baron's Avatar
Custom User Title

#56

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 126

Default 

September 2nd, 2009, 12:17
Originally Posted by baron View Post
that's right, so why does he keep trying to explain himself ???

(i really mean most threads, not those with my comments alone)
There are many possible reasons for this. Some people have the capacity for logic, and some don't. It's no big deal.

But that's just an opinion so there's no need to explain further
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#57

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,476

Default 

September 2nd, 2009, 21:15
Opinion by definition is not logical.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#58

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,991

Default 

September 2nd, 2009, 21:21
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
There are many possible reasons for this. Some people have the capacity for logic, and some don't. It's no big deal.

But that's just an opinion so there's no need to explain further
So why don't you try it with some logic for a difference?
Only kidding.

On the serious side I have to admit that sometimes I even have the feeling to understand, what you try to say. But my logical capacity is not high enough to decide if that feeling is correct.
bkrueger is offline

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

#59

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 796

Default 

September 3rd, 2009, 09:25
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Opinion by definition is not logical.
That's kinda the point, in reverse

Even if I don't necessarily agree.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#60

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,476
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Arcania Impressions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:55.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch