|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Consoles are superior than PCs for MMORPGs

Default Consoles are superior than PCs for MMORPGs

September 21st, 2009, 19:59
So says Turbine

Perhaps more surprising is just how committed the company is to bringing its next MMO project to console. While many believe that the PC is the natural home to the genre, Turbine disagrees. Alexander mentioned that the same arguments were made about in-depth sports sims and the FPS genre, but now market leaders like Madden and Call of Duty all have far larger installed bases of players on the consoles.

Alexander said that the evolution of the PC games market is being mirrored on console, and it is only a matter of time before the MMO development scene shifts to PS3 and Xbox 360.

Lending weight to his argument, Alexander reeled off a number of RPG-related facts: namely that Mass Effect, Fable II and Fallout 3 have all sold in excess of three million units, and that, at launch, Oblivion sold to over 50 per cent of the Xbox 360 installed base. In Turbine's view, the appetite for adventuring is there on console, and MMOs are the last piece of the puzzle.
Summary: Consoles make more money, therefore Console > PC

While I don't agree with their assesment, in some ways, I do wish Single player RPGs would flourish on PCs again. If this means that MMOs will get more and more simplistic and have more and more "interesting" player base, then it is all the more reason for me to not get sucked in one.

leth

Watchdog

September 21st, 2009, 20:10
Consoles don't have WoW and Blizzard doesn't seem interested in porting the game for those platforms. Or any other blockbuster MMO AFAIK.

I see that's enough reason for developers to get interested in creating a MMO for the consoles. There's not yet much competition inside the MMO genre on those platforms.

Surlent

On ghost mode

September 23rd, 2009, 20:50
it's hard to create mmos on consoles i guess,

and single player rpgs are the best assets of console games as mmorpg are for pcs

reimaru

Traveler

September 24th, 2009, 00:28
PCs are clearly superior, or else you'd see more MMOs on consoles. I say that as an exclusively console player (360). We've had many MMOs announce that they are headed to the 360, and then the 360 version inevitably gets cancelled. I don't know why they always get cancelled, although I'd guess it's a hardware (memory) limitation, or else Microsoft setting out conditions for XBL that the publishers don't like.

I would like to see a good MMO on a console eventually, but I have learned after repeated failures to not expect it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Anderson

Consolized

September 24th, 2009, 15:46
MMOs in consoles have a place. Like DDO could easily be moved to a console, a free play with microtransactions, no big outdoor areas no open world, perfectly designed for the limited capabilities of consoles.
Now, paid MMOs on the other hand, have no place. Console users are just not used to paying a monthly fee.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

September 24th, 2009, 15:55
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Now, paid MMOs on the other hand, have no place. Console users are just not used to paying a monthly fee.
I don't know if PC users were used to the idea either until Ultima Online came out. Even after Everquest majority strayed away from MMOs. But it in the end a single game from a very well known company did change that. I think that change could be replicated on consoles too.

Surlent

On ghost mode

October 28th, 2009, 04:18
At the moment, I don't see it happening. And should it happen, I imagine it would happen right after a console gets launched or in a console's early stages. Because it's undeniable that a console's lifespan is limited. It might not be long before we hear news of a PS4 or XBOX720 or Yuu. LOL And it could be bad for sales if the console is on its way out. >_>

orbitz

Traveler

October 28th, 2009, 06:24
What does seem to work on consoles is a stripped-down version, an MMO without the M, or a "mini-MMO," if you will. Typically 4 to 8 players in some sort of co-op. Borderlands is the most recent and probably best example. Extremely well-received.

Anderson

Consolized

October 28th, 2009, 15:14
Originally Posted by Surlent View Post
Consoles don't have WoW and Blizzard doesn't seem interested in porting the game for those platforms. Or any other blockbuster MMO AFAIK.

I see that's enough reason for developers to get interested in creating a MMO for the consoles. There's not yet much competition inside the MMO genre on those platforms.
Correction, Blizzard *was* not interested in consoles, but Atari/Blizzard? I wouldn't be surprised of a 'major announcement' within a year.
Now, Champions Online is supposed to come to the consoles, so is DC. We'll see how these things fare.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

October 30th, 2009, 05:48
Alexander mentioned that the same arguments were made about in-depth sports sims and the FPS genre, but now market leaders like Madden and Call of Duty all have far larger installed bases of players on the consoles.
Jeez, that just makes me queezy. This is like saying a McDonald's burger is the best burger ever made because it has sold more than any other.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

December 7th, 2009, 02:24
I disagree. Saga of Ryzom is not on a console. I think that my MMORPG is made perfectly for my laptop. I have never had a game that didn't freeze up on me or encounter a lot of errors when I play on the PC. My PC can easily handle Ryzom and everything runs perfectly and smoothly. The graphics are superior on PC as opposed to the consoles and the chat server would have to become vocalized instead of text-based, which I do not enjoy as much. I prefer my MMORPGs to be PC based because it is the perfect fit for Ryzom.

slessman

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Consoles are superior than PCs for MMORPGs