|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Risen 3 » Risen » mage or warrior

Default mage or warrior

October 6th, 2009, 23:22
Can someone who's been a mage or warrior of order talk about the class?

Not going to join don's gang, so not worried about that.

I'm at the point of where i decide which order i would like to follow.

not sure what magic is like, is having enough mana going to always be an issue, etc?

Sathlin

Traveler

October 7th, 2009, 01:50
Mages can cast with runes.

Warriors & bandits can only cast with scrolls.

Once you have a rune you can make your own scroll copies on a writing table.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

October 7th, 2009, 04:06
I've completed it both as a mage and as a warrior. The only real difference is the fact that the warrior has somewhat better armor at one point in the game, and the mage has access to runes. Both have access to crystal magic, which represent your main attack spells even as a mage. Both also have access to staff training, strength etc if you want it.

I played a pure mage, and it can be annoying to constantly go out of mana, especially if you don't know where all the beds are located (I played mage during my 3rd run through the game, so I knew where to camp when clearing out the various areas).

The warrior (or something of a battlemage) is probably slightly easier to play overall, especially if you make a lot of scrolls to make up for the lack of runes. However, blasting foes away like mad is always good fun, especially once you have tons of mana potions and very high base mana. Of course, that is also possible as a warrior - just max out one of the crystal magic schools and add some mana.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

October 7th, 2009, 22:00
Thanks for the info maylander.

Think i'll go as a battlemage for now.

Sathlin

Traveler

October 8th, 2009, 03:38
you are going to be playing a mix of both… early on you get better armor as a warrior… Some parts you can NOT use magic and must fight as a warrior…
and you can make scrolls instead of using runes directly (everyone can that is), thing is, you will be swimming in looted scrolls so you will rarely ever have to make any or cast without…
I played a mage, got 4th circle magic… and during the entire game I bought 2 scrolls of flight (ended with 5 extra), crafted 1 scroll for a quest, and cast most of my spells from scrolls with the following exceptions:
1. telekinesis: 5 or 6 times from rune (could have made scrolls)
2. unlock: almost 10 times… but it is expensive in terms of mana, requires level 3 rune, and you have to find that level 3 rune as nooone sells it.
3. remove magic portal: 5 times on the quest portals (to finish the game)… you can make scrolls

best attack IMAO is the level 10 fireball…but ANYONE can use it, even non mages… the title is basically just that, a title…
Being a mage though rocks, best quests all around.

taltamir

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Risen 3 » Risen » mage or warrior