|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Soldak Entertainment - Din's Curse Cave-ins

Default Soldak Entertainment - Din's Curse Cave-ins

October 21st, 2009, 08:31
The latest entry in Steven Peeler's blog talks about dungeon cave-ins for Din's Curse, which sounds like a pretty cool idea:
Even without monsters and traps, the caves and dungeons in Din's Curse are dangerous. This is because you can interact with the environment in many ways. Today I'm going to talk about cave-ins because they're a great example of engaging the environment, but cave-ins also work with many other systems I've previously discussed.
A cave-in is exactly what you expect, large forces like explosions can break weakened areas of the cave or dungeon causing large rocks to fall down, crushing whatever is below them. Falling rocks do a good bit of damage, can temporarily block areas, and can cause further cave ins. Be careful with those powerful spells. They might kill your intended victims, but they also might rain down boulders on you or block your escape route.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 21st, 2009, 08:31
As long as they are made good enough not to block all exits from a room. It would be extremely frustrating to have to load after I've killed a difficult bunch of monsters, just because there are no exits. They've probably thought about that though…

SveNitoR

Sentinel

October 21st, 2009, 14:03
They can block all of the exits. However, you can destroy the cave ins so you can't ever get permanently stuck. Temporary obstacles are still very dangerous when you are trying to run away though.

Steven Peeler
lead designer/programmer of Depths of Peril
http://www.soldak.com/

Steven Peeler

Watcher

October 21st, 2009, 14:08
The more I read about Din's Curse the more I wish it was done so I can check out these new features in the game.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

October 21st, 2009, 14:43
In the Realms Of Arcania games one could shovel his or her way out of such a barrage made of rock. It did cost time, water and feed, though, indirectly.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Soldak Entertainment - Din's Curse Cave-ins