|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » No Rogue, no merchants, no alchemy? ***SPOILERS***

Default No Rogue, no merchants, no alchemy? ***SPOILERS***

November 8th, 2009, 16:47
Am I playing this wrong? I'm in RedCliffe with no Recipes for alchemy, no Rogue (I've left chests unlocked all over the place) and the only merchants I've found are in camp.

The game has locked me out of Ostogar so no luck going back there for anything.

"For Innos!"
Last edited by txa1265; November 9th, 2009 at 13:45. Reason: Too many early game spoilers.

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

November 8th, 2009, 16:59
You missed the first town you were supposed to go too.

rune_74

SasqWatch

November 8th, 2009, 17:01
Did you go to Lothering? I thought that was the only town unlocked on the world map (after the wilds). Didn't realize you could head straight into RedCliffe.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 8th, 2009, 17:01
I went to Lothering? Cleaned it out of quests. The lone merchant there left! No rogue, no recipes.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

November 8th, 2009, 17:06
I bought the recipes from the army camp merchant.

I'm in Lothering now. There is a merchant there, but you said he left…so I don't know.

Maybe:
Spoiler

Edit: There are two merchants in Lothering. Check the bar

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 8th, 2009, 17:20
If I survive RedCliffe I'll have to go back I guess. No rogue though??

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

November 8th, 2009, 17:40
Spoiler

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 8th, 2009, 21:18
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
Spoiler
I think this took me by surprise…never would have guessed it.

rune_74

SasqWatch

November 8th, 2009, 23:15
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
I think this took me by surprise…never would have guessed it.
Spoiler

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

November 8th, 2009, 23:44
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
If I survive RedCliffe I'll have to go back I guess. No rogue though??
Spoiler

DeepO

deep outside

November 9th, 2009, 00:29
Spoiler

Badesumofu

Sentinel

November 9th, 2009, 00:50
If I have any gripe with DA this is it:

That you can't go back to the places you've been before - like you could in BG1.

You're forced to take a route that's set to a certain goal - to go from A to B to C, but you can't go from B to A again apparently? - not unless the game wants it?

Such as going to Lothering, then leave, then you can't come back to Lothering - unless the game steers your there…it seems…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

November 9th, 2009, 01:39
Well that's because you're not the only agent in the world of DA. The bad guys don't just sit around and wait for you to save the world from them. As you progress, so do they. I don't think of this as a fault, not at all. This is a hardcore RPG, afterall. There are consequences.

In any case, you can go back to places you've been before in many cases. In cases where the plot dictates that you can't, you can't. Otherwise, you can.

Badesumofu

Sentinel

November 9th, 2009, 09:25
I have to agree with aries100 on this one. I was really annoyed when I discovered that I couldn't return to the Kocari wilds, because I didn't grab that hidden stash that guy left for his family.

You can talk about the world progressing, but seriously, lets not try to cover up every little fault with our fanboy enthusiasm, there are definitely flaws in this game.

They could have at least gave us a hint about areas that we won't be able to return to, just so we don't screw ourselves out of being able to complete certain quests.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 9th, 2009, 11:35
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I have to agree with aries100 on this one. I was really annoyed when I discovered that I couldn't return to the Kocari wilds, because I didn't grab that hidden stash that guy left for his family.

You can talk about the world progressing, but seriously, lets not try to cover up every little fault with our fanboy enthusiasm, there are definitely flaws in this game.

They could have at least gave us a hint about areas that we won't be able to return to, just so we don't screw ourselves out of being able to complete certain quests.
I agree and disagree with you on this

Yes it is annoying that you can't go back to certain areas. I am one of those people who try to do everything in the game and I hate myself for missing certain things. So imagine how I felt when I found out you can buy 2 sets of bag in Ostogar!! (I am having inventory trouble right now)

However I can understand why we can't go back to Ostogar. We lost the bloody war there!

Lothering is bit iffy. There are hints something is up. There are lot of refugees and when you speak to the people it is evident that they are planning for an attack and preparing to leave the town. I would have preferred if that information was bit on your face.

In summary what I am saying is that I can go along with "you can't go back place" provided there is good plot point for it

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

November 9th, 2009, 11:58
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
In summary what I am saying is that I can go along with "you can't go back place" provided there is good plot point for it
There is no doubt that is what they should have done.

Although maybe not quite that blatantly.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 9th, 2009, 12:03
I should really stop reading these forums. I had no idea you couldn't go back.

It's like after Ostagar I tried to go back there to get my dog. I did everything before I left Ostagar to get that little guy….well not so little, but it was totally blocked out. I thought at the time you had to do some other origin story to get the little guy or I missed some opportunity to get him, but it turned out ok just as soon as I started heading up to Lothering

It's good in a way that I read this because I might of headed off to some other town before tying up any loose ends in Lothering. Sucks for anyone else who headed off and couldn't return. A little warning when leaving the area would of been nice. Like "The Darkspawn are fast approaching. If you leave now you won't be able to return."

Despite all my rage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

November 9th, 2009, 12:59
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
I should really stop reading these forums. I had no idea you couldn't go back.
We really need spoiler forums

I have sort of stopped reading Bio's spoiler forums. Someone posted a major plot point in thier post title

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

November 9th, 2009, 13:37
This thread is now riddled with early game spoilers, so just close it if "Lothering" doesn't mean anything to you.

Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Lothering is bit iffy. There are hints something is up. There are lot of refugees and when you speak to the people it is evident that they are planning for an attack and preparing to leave the town. I would have preferred if that information was bit on your face.
If you talk to a few people in Lothering, it's made very clear that the place is about to be over-run. If you *could* go back there for the whole game I would consider it a fault. In my opinion you do get fair warning. As for the Kocari wilds, you aren't warned that you won't be able to go back there, but there's nothing of great importance there anyway.

It makes perfect sense that you're unable to go back to these areas to me.

Badesumofu

Sentinel

November 9th, 2009, 15:06
I think some folks are making excuses for a game that appears to have serious shortcomings. Frankly if I could merge Drakensang with DA combat I'd toss DA. I still like it alot but this linear herding issue is lame. I havent experienced it yet, but I hear there is monster scaling. No spoilers - but I left a scenario I couldnt conquer and I wonder when I get back if it will be twice as hard

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » No Rogue, no merchants, no alchemy? ***SPOILERS***