Quantcast
A slightly shorter farewell - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » A slightly shorter farewell

Default A slightly shorter farewell

March 27th, 2016, 20:57
Fill your glass and grab your seat and I'll tell you the tale of Big Ass Lil and Yukon Pete.

No, no, that's not the right story. Ummm, let's try again.

Once upon a time, there was a Wiz8 junkie. He regularly visited the Vault Network site for Wiz8 and had the pleasure of interacting with 4 different members of the design team and a couple serious Wiz8 players. All was good until IGN bought the site up. Our hero was rather dense in the ways of the internet and what was supposed to be a seamless transition was anything but. So he set off in search of a new home to discuss the finer points of the dual mace Lord build.

He did stumble upon a humble little site known as RPGDot. Got an account on his birthday in 1999, in fact. And it was good. And there was much goodness. For the site had community. Certainly, those folks didn't always agree and occasionally it got a little unpleasant, but the site flourished. At its core was a shared interest in RPG gaming (I never did get past the Old Camp in Gothic1, strangely enough) but the thing that made the site special and kept visitors coming back was the community. So when RPGDot was overtaken by corporate interests, the community packed its bags and went elsewhere. It should be noted that while RPGDot continued for some time as an RPG gaming news site, without its people it withered and eventually died.

So then there was RPGWatch. It refocused on the mission of RPG gaming news, but ultimately was tremendously helped by the readymade community of people that knew each other, shared interests, and shared more of themselves than merely trumpeting about an expert ironman solo faerie ninja run (OK, OK, I never did finish that run because it became trivial by the Rapax Castle). Just like before, folks didn't always agree and occasionally it got a little unpleasant, but the site flourished. And, nearly 10 years later, continues to flourish on the backs of its community. The extensive participation in conversations non-gaming-related prove that people don't come here solely to talk about games anymore, if the majority of us ever did. We come to share a piece of ourselves and be a part of something special.

Alas, time changes all things and the Watch is no exception. The community that has embraced me in good and bad for just over 17 years isn't quite the same anymore. That doesn't make it a bad thing by any stretch, but certainly different. Some newcomers swooped in and put their stamp on things and this here old-timer didn't adapt. Such is life. Upon reflection, I've decided that Myrthos is right and the tone of the community is off. There's a hostility to different opinions that's snuck in and it's poison. A good part of that's on me, I suppose. I've said many times, and most of y'all probably thought I was just rattling on, that it's all about the success of the site and personal feelings be damned. Well, gonna put my money where my mouth is, as it were, because my participation around here is doing more harm than good at this point. So, although it hurts to walk away from 17 years of community, it's best for the Watch that I do so.

So, to those very few of you that put your personal agendas above the good of the site, I offer a hearty double-barreled one finger salute. I hope that Myrthos gets wise to your evil before it's too late. To those of you that I've gone to war against over the years, you've been worthy adversaries and you only get a single one finger salute, backed with a smile. Brain food for all. To the vast majority of you that come here and interact and give little bits of your life every day, that's what makes the community special and vibrant and gives it a solid future. I thank you all for participating and making the community better a spurt of electrons at a time.

Myrthos, you've got something special here. Don't lose sight of what got you 10 years of success. The community is king. Treat all of it well. Don't fuck it up, boss.

Bye, y'all.
--
Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Punt. Bring on the draft. / / Detroit Red Wings: Dylan Larkin, fastest All-Star EVAH!

dteowner

Shoegazer

March 27th, 2016, 21:04
Hate to see you go big fella. I also came from RPGDot. Hope you just take some time off and come back. Just ignore people like I do.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

March 27th, 2016, 21:29
I think that's a terrible shame - I hope you'll look back in after a while, and see if you change your mind.

Ripper

May savage salesmen

March 27th, 2016, 21:35
Well I am sorry yet again to read another person leaving, I am more surprised than anything.

I don't know why so many of the greats have left in the last few months. I feel like we are at bioware and there is a mass exodus.
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

March 27th, 2016, 21:49
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
So, although it hurts to walk away from 17 years of community, it's best for the Watch that I do so.
It is not not the best but the choice is yours.

Cya. Hopefully soon.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 27th, 2016, 21:54
Sorry to see you go. I mostly lurked on the p&r forum and we rarely exchanged opinions directly. But I will miss your voice here.

Pibbur who also wonders who will now represent the muppets.

Edit: Not sure I agree with you doing more harm than good being here. In fact, I don't agree at all.
--
d++a60e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; March 27th, 2016 at 22:58.

pibbur who

Number 13
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 27th, 2016, 22:00
Farewell DTE.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

March 27th, 2016, 22:03
Myrthos, you've got something special here. Don't lose sight of what got you 10 years of success. The community is king. Treat all of it well. Don't fuck it up, boss.
Sometimes you need a little vision too and it is hard to balance the two I believe.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

March 27th, 2016, 22:19
Take care, dte. All the best, and take care.
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

is watching you
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

March 27th, 2016, 22:19
Michael C, you and I - we discussed a lot about Wizardry 8 - good times
I hope to see you again after a short RPGWatch break.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 27th, 2016, 22:52
@dteowner Sad to see you go and I hope you come back.

I don't always agree with everything you say since I am only a conservative with a small "c" but I always look forward to reading your opinions.

I will quote the following and I hope the mods will realise this before its too late…

There's a hostility to different opinions that's snuck in and it's poison

lostforever

SasqWatch

March 27th, 2016, 23:26
See you one day big guy- gonna miss ya.
--
Hmmn, still breathing
"Kenneth Doosey"

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

March 28th, 2016, 00:54
DON'T LEAVE ME!!!!!!!! I do NOT agree with your leaving, nor your reasons. You have ALWAYS added to this community and your leaving will create a void. Please re-consider your decision!!!!!!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 28th, 2016, 01:46
Nope, resignation not accepted. Who's going to reply intelligently to rightwing political news now? Or answer noobish questions about one of the best blobber RPGs ever made?

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

March 28th, 2016, 02:00
I guess dteowner shall always be plagued by this unsolved mistery of why us enlightened folk across the pond are incapable of seeing the joy that bearing arms can bring to our lives .

I like dteowner's occasional dry and sarcastic sense of humour so I'll definitely miss that.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

March 28th, 2016, 04:27
Deets, you can't leave me with these heathens! We still need to collaborate on reviewing UFO: Aftermath.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

March 28th, 2016, 09:07
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
(I never did get past the Old Camp in Gothic1, strangely enough)
I thought we were short a crucifixion around here… Hey, guys, why didn't we ever crucify this one?

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the obvious: You NEED to leave to balance out the void created by D'Artangan's leaving.

Alright, seriously though, it would be really weird here without you.

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 28th, 2016, 11:14
Sad to see you go, dteowner.

I'm really boggled as to why all these people leaving think their presence is somehow detrimental to the Watch, but alright, to each their own, I guess.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 28th, 2016, 11:38
Shit! I'm sorry that you have decided to leave since I will miss our verbal sparrings dte. Take care and the best of luck!

zahratustra

SasqWatch

March 28th, 2016, 12:00
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
DON'T LEAVE ME!!!!!!!! I do NOT agree with your leaving, nor your reasons. You have ALWAYS added to this community and your leaving will create a void. Please re-consider your decision!!!!!!!

I agree with Corwin.

Your a big part of the community dte. Hope you stay with us.

If you do go, know that I always respected your opinions and enjoyed you devils advocate positions :-)

Also, you are probably the only vocal moderate right winger here so that would be a loss too…

All the best in your endeavours.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » A slightly shorter farewell