Quantcast
Linuxy things - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Linuxy things

Default Linuxy things

September 3rd, 2015, 22:28
I'm a big Linux fan, and some people might find Linux news interesting, too. I'd appreciate it if anyone who wants a Linux vs Windows thread start a separate one.

Steam Machines (still don't understand why they didn't call them Steam Engines) are almost upon us. I'm very interested, though I have to say Valve seems to have lost momentum, and taken an extremely laid back approach to the launch. I think that, at best, they will be a very slow burn. Perhaps Valve accepts this, and is playing the long game - they can probably afford to.

I've just installed the Kaos distro, which is a bleeding edge KDE 5 system. It has some horrible aesthetic choices, nasty font rendering, etc, but it is about the snappiest OS I've ever used. With a bit of tweaking, and switching to their dark theme, it's very nice indeed, and faster than minimal distros I've used. I put a high premium on that feeling of greased lightning responsiveness, and it has that in spades. It boots in two seconds, and it loves an SSD - everything I click on leaps up like it's spring loaded, and I wonder if they made some improvement to disk access. Valve would do well to make their distro so lean and snappy.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Little England Refugee

#1

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,303

Default 

September 3rd, 2015, 22:51
If more games did work under Linux I would totally use it more. I had a dual boot system for years until upgrades stopped liking my LAN. I even succeeded in playing a few games under Wine back then (like BG2, even installed mods, lol).

There is one computer in the house that use Linux (Lubuntu distro), it's the guest computer that is mostly used for surfing the web and reading emails. I upgraded it recently and it made me discover boot USB live-CDs…so much faster than the CD-ROM version.

I always preferred KDE, although some experimental window managers looked very hot a few years ago maybe I should recheck them. I might redo a dual boot at some point too. I usually try a bunch of distro under a VM. I'll keep an eye on Kaos.
--
The reapers ceased being robot Cthulhu's when Star child nuked the plot from orbit ~ Steel on Neogaf
azarhal is online now

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#2

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,003

Default 

September 3rd, 2015, 23:29
Yes, there's been lots of interesting, novel desktop environments over the past few years. I've found that most them have come and gone too fleetingly to standardise on, though.

I've always been somewhat disatisfied with all Linux DE's, but I must say that KDE 5 is really closing in on what I want from a desktop, and the KDE 5 development framework seems to be going from strength to strength - a lot of fine German engineering!

Gaming is certainly a key factor for acceptance in the wider market, but for me this hasn't really been a problem - even before I switched to Linux years ago, I started maintaining a separate Windows installation for gaming, because I hacked around with my main OS so much it became a pain to frequently do a fresh install and set up all my games again. Now I maintain a flexible Linux desktop for general use, and just boot into my Windows gaming partition when I need to, and it never really needs to be interfered with.

EDIT: Screenie of desktop, for those interested.

Last edited by Ripper; September 3rd, 2015 at 23:59.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Little England Refugee

#3

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,303
+1:

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 10:26
I dual-boot with Ubuntu, but I had all sorts of weird problems with it so I almost always end up booting into windows instead… so perhaps I should switch to KDE 5? What would you say is key differences with Ubuntu? ( if you have tried that )
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,808

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 10:34
Not a Linux guy, but I kinda miss AmigaOS

DArtagnan

Guest

#5

Posts: n/a

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 13:12
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
so perhaps I should switch to KDE 5? What would you say is key differences with Ubuntu? ( if you have tried that )
KDE is not a distro, it's a window manager. Ubuntu use Gnome as window manager, Kubuntu is the KDE variation. KDE is probably the most "Windows" like in term of look.

Depending what are your "weird" look the idea might be to switch to another distro…there are over 200 of them.
--
The reapers ceased being robot Cthulhu's when Star child nuked the plot from orbit ~ Steel on Neogaf
azarhal is online now

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#6

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,003

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 13:17
I recently reformatted my Lenovo netbook as a Ubuntu-only machine, which is the most time I've spent with Linux since the 90s … pretty solid (better performing on that Intel Atom with 1GB RAM than Windows!), need more time with it!

Never really got into Amiga, but I miss BeOS, OS/2 and NeXT (on Intel).
--
-- Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch
Moderator

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 13,348

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 13:31
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
KDE is not a distro, it's a window manager. Ubuntu use Gnome as window manager, Kubuntu is the KDE variation. KDE is probably the most "Windows" like in term of look.

Depending what are your "weird" look the idea might be to switch to another distro…there are over 200 of them.
Yes, obviously, KDE 5, theoretically I am sure I could switch desktop manager in my Ubuntu distro also, but it'd kind of defeat the purpose of running Ubuntu I guess. But I guess I should also ask what he thinks of the kaos distro…
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,808

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 15:45
Just to keep the terminology straight - Gnome and KDE are desktop environments, not window managers. The window managers for Gnome and KDE are Metacity and KWin, but it's not something you'd generally need to worry about.

The majority of distros are built on top of one of the major Linux systems - Debian, Arch or Redhat. They choose a desktop environment to put on top of the base system, and configure the programs and look to create their own experience.

Kaos is a bit unusual in that it is not built on top of a pre-existing system, but built from scratch from the kernel up. This probably helps to explain its speed - they have eliminated anything unnecessary for their aims.

As I mentioned, it is very bleeding edge, and a bit rough in places. It's using the very latest update of KDE 5, and KDE 5 itself is very young. I would not recommend it yet for someone who wants zero hassle, and isn't comfortable tweaking Linux. By all means try it out, but don't judge it on the expectation of a trouble-free experience. I would say that by the time KDE 5 is mature enough for the major distros, probably quite soon, we'll see some excellent desktops for the general user.

@Gothic

I would say that the main differences to the Ubuntu desktop are the performance and responsiveness, the more Windows-like layout, and that KDE is far more geared to a 'power user'. Their motto for KDE 5 is "Simple by default, powerful when needed", and I think they're doing a good job on that.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Little England Refugee

#9

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,303

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 15:58
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Just to keep the terminology straight - Gnome and KDE are desktop environments, not window managers. The window managers for Gnome and KDE are Metacity and KWin, but it's not something you'd generally need to worry about.

The majority of distros are built on top of one of the major Linux systems - Debian, Arch or Redhat. They choose a desktop environment to put on top of the base system, and configure the programs and look to create their own experience.

Kaos is a bit unusual in that it is not built on top of a pre-existing system, but built from scratch from the kernel up. This probably helps to explain its speed - they have eliminated anything unnecessary for their aims.

As I mentioned, it is very bleeding edge, and a bit rough in places. It's using the very latest update of KDE 5, and KDE 5 itself is very young. I would not recommend it yet for someone who wants zero hassle, and isn't comfortable tweaking Linux. By all means try it out, but don't judge it on the expectation of a trouble-free experience. I would say that by the time KDE 5 is mature enough for the major distros, probably quite soon, we'll see some excellent desktops for the general user.

@Gothic

I would say that the main differences to the Ubuntu desktop are the performance and responsiveness, the more Windows-like layout, and that KDE is far more geared to a 'power user'. Their motto for KDE 5 is "Simple by default, powerful when needed", and I think they're doing a good job on that.
It sounds like exactly what I would want from a linux distro. Did you experience any compatibility issues with common applications? ( I guess you haven't tried that many yet) How big is this distro and where to download?
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,808

Default 

September 4th, 2015, 16:42
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
It sounds like exactly what I would want from a linux distro. Did you experience any compatibility issues with common applications? ( I guess you haven't tried that many yet) How big is this distro and where to download?
You can download from here: http://kaosx.us/ 1.6gb download.

No compatibility issues that I've hit yet. All of the KDE applications have been updated to KDE 5. Firefox is a GTK app, and that runs perfectly.

My biggest initial concerns were the bizarrely awful graphics for the login screen, and the poor default font setup, resulting in some hideously rendered webpages. All of this can be remedied quite quickly by tweaking the theme setup, and installing some better font packages. Also had to fiddle around with desktop rendering settings to get things perfectly smooth.
Last edited by Ripper; September 4th, 2015 at 16:56.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Little England Refugee

#11

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,303

Default 

September 16th, 2015, 18:12
Nah, just use opensuse tumbleweed. Best trade-off bleeding edge vs stability and has the best kde integration.

If you're adventurous try http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
ilm is offline

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629

Default 

September 16th, 2015, 18:29
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Nah, just use opensuse tumbleweed. Best trade-off bleeding edge vs stability and has the best kde integration.

If you're adventurous try http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Tumbleweed used to have complications with proprietary GPU drivers - do you know if that's still the case?
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Little England Refugee

#13

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,303

Default 

September 16th, 2015, 19:06
Good question, my old pc had a nvidia card and I often had to install the nvidia driver manually after kernel upgrades. No problem for me, other people might dislike that.

My last two laptops had an intel GPU though, of which the drivers are included in the kernel, so I don't know how often nvidia or ati repo's are updated these days. If you mean stability problems of some sort, never had an issue with it. These days the factory repos are the same as tumbleweed and quite stable.
ilm is offline

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#14

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629

Default 

July 28th, 2016, 09:10
I have a question about Linux. @ Little England Refugee: sorry I don't mean to turn this into a linux vs windows thing, basically I'm thinking of using Linux as my web hosting operating system, i've been looking for information online and from what i can tell it seems like Linux is actually the best choice, this article pretty much sums it up:

https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/s…-server-check/

but if anyone can give me anymore advantages about using Linux for this, or if they think this article is good to go by, (it doesn't have to be in comparison to windows!) that'd be really appreciated.
Ripping is offline

Ripping

Traveler

#15

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19

Default 

July 29th, 2016, 21:23
I'm using Ubunto on my other PC once in a while … But with 14. ( I upgraded that after a long hiatus ) I get the impression as if there were settings hidden somewhere where I cannot reach them - I mean, even in Windows XP I do know where to get the OS to work the way I want it to, but in Ubuntu ? It seems as if the thing that is so often the thing Windows is criticized for - locking or hiding settings / "gear wheels" / buttons away from the user, that this thing is now happening to Ubunto as well.

My current problem now is that I can't get Patches into that system, because it claims that I just cannot get them because they are from unsafe sources. But when I open the settings for trusted sources (for software), then there is nothing I can do - everything I do there doesn't change this behaviour.

I fear that it's time to buy a new distribution magazine, because I'm still kind of a Newbie regarding Linux (although having learned some bits in my IT training 15 years ago …).
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#16

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,201

Default 

August 8th, 2016, 17:01
Originally Posted by Ripping View Post
I have a question about Linux. @ Little England Refugee: sorry I don't mean to turn this into a linux vs windows thing, basically I'm thinking of using Linux as my web hosting operating system, i've been looking for information online and from what i can tell it seems like Linux is actually the best choice, this article pretty much sums it up:

https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/s…-server-check/

but if anyone can give me anymore advantages about using Linux for this, or if they think this article is good to go by, (it doesn't have to be in comparison to windows!) that'd be really appreciated.
It would be good to know what technology stack you are using. If it is something like PHP and mysql or such, linux would most probably be your best bet.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,808

Default 

August 8th, 2016, 17:11
It also comes down to what you're familiar with. If you have not used Linux enough to know if it meets your needs, the learning curve might be a bit steep, and easy to make a bad security error.

All things being equal, I would say Linux is a good choice, because it is so open and modular. The best practice is to run the absolute minimum number of services you need, and completely remove everything else. That's a big security win straight out of the gate.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Little England Refugee

#18

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,303
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Linuxy things
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:48.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch