|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Review @ Gamespot

Default Gothic 3 - Review @ Gamespot

December 5th, 2006, 11:33
Gamespot , in a departure from most NA reviews, has posted a fairly 'middle of the road' review of Gothic 3. Handing G3 a 7.6 ('good&#39 rating, reviewer Andrew Park states:
Gothic 3 is also a great-looking game that has detailed character models and interior environments and beautiful outdoor vistas, especially if you have a higher-end computer system and can get away with turning the game's graphics settings up. The game's good-looking graphics go a long way toward making the game seem like an epic adventure in a huge, sprawling world, even if the flat dialogue and issues with characters getting stuck on things sometimes detracts from it.

All things considered, it's unfortunate that the game shipped with its technical problems, and that it shipped in the same year as The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, since it's almost impossible to avoid comparing the two. Gothic 3 doesn't have Oblivion's huge breadth and might not look quite as impressive just because of that difference in scale, but it does offer a fairly well put-together story in its set of linked quests, as well as plenty of freedom to roam. To enjoy the game, you'll need a high-end computer, time and patience, and tolerance for a brisk challenge—but if you have all these things, Gothic 3 could be what you're looking for.
More information.
Kalia is offline

Kalia

Kalia's Avatar
Watchdog

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Land of AZ, USA
Posts: 147
Send a message via ICQ to Kalia Send a message via AIM to Kalia Send a message via MSN to Kalia Send a message via Yahoo to Kalia

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 11:33
Ahh, good old level-headed Gamespot. I knew I could trust you. They gave similar scores to the other Gothics, if I recall correctly. It's a pretty reasonable score, with room for tilt values for those who are a big fan of Gothic's strong points (atmosphere, gameplay, story).
Thaurin is offline

Thaurin

SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,425

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 11:47
Finally, an intelligent score!! Not that I'm in any way biased!!!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#3

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,575
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 11:48
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Not that I'm in any way biased!!!!
Nor am I . Pretty good review.
Danicek is offline

Danicek

Danicek's Avatar
Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic
Posts: 418

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 11:54
Could anyone explain to me that part about Oblivion's huge breadth? Because I own the game since day 1 and I haven't noticed.
Lethal Weapon is offline

Lethal Weapon

Lethal Weapon's Avatar
Sentinel

#5

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 11:56
It looks nice on a wide screen!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#6

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,575
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 11:57
Oh I see. Lol. Thanks for letting me know!
Lethal Weapon is offline

Lethal Weapon

Lethal Weapon's Avatar
Sentinel

#7

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 12:38
Corwin simply knows how to be clear and sound
Danicek is offline

Danicek

Danicek's Avatar
Sentinel

#8

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic
Posts: 418

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 15:38
The review was way too easy on the game's enormous performance problems and crappy combat with animals like wolves and boars. I still agree with the overall score though.
doctor_kaz is offline

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 622

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 15:50
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
It looks nice on a wide screen!!
I don't think that is what he is talking about … and therefore I disagree with him there. I would agree if the word were 'scope' instead of 'breadth', but I think a great thing about the Gothic games is that they are at once 'world scope' and very intimate. Having the cook on Venguard bring that into context was quite hilarious …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,486

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 15:51
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
The review was way too easy on the game's enormous performance problems
It made it clear - you need a very powerful system, and even then it tasks any available computer to the limit. That is *exactly* what I saw as well.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,486

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 17:28
I think the score is correct, but the review is superficial. I doubt he really played the game for any substantial length of time because if he did, he would have commeneted on even more things.

The biggest problems with many Gothic 3 reviews I see is that they penalize the game for trivial things, but never really get around to explaining its true shortcomings. Vault_Dweller's review at RPGCODEX is the absolute, most detailed and accurate review of G3, but he goes too easy on it IMHO.

Anyone that goes the distance with Gothic 3 will begin to see where it falls short:

1. Lack of quest variety
2. No puzzles or dungeons
3. Experience given too generously (there is almost no need to specialize because you can attain an ungodly character level and master many skills)
4. Rewards from chests not varied enough
5. Melee combat with humans needs major work.
6. A general sense of "breadth versus depth" when it comes to storytelling, details, and character interaction.

If the combat versus humans was as varied and interesting as it was in Gothic 1/2, then the fact that most of the quests are "kill this" would matter less because at least it would be FUN. As I said in previous postings, ranged combat IS better though.

When the next patch comes out I am gong to start over with a brand new game. Hopefully then I can have a better experience.
elkston is offline

elkston

Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 347

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 20:11
I didn't read the review but the score is infatuating me
RatavuK is offline

RatavuK

RatavuK's Avatar
Watcher

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 22

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 20:11
Some good points elkstone.
Danicek is offline

Danicek

Danicek's Avatar
Sentinel

#14

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic
Posts: 418

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 20:13
Wow, 2 reasionable scorces (considering the circumstances) based off the US release in 1 day?
Omg!<faints>
Acleacius is offline

Acleacius

SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,502

Default 

December 5th, 2006, 20:14
Originally Posted by Danicek View Post
Some good points elkstone.
Some good points Dani !
Last edited by RatavuK; December 5th, 2006 at 20:36.
RatavuK is offline

RatavuK

RatavuK's Avatar
Watcher

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 22

Default 

December 6th, 2006, 17:03
Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon View Post
Could anyone explain to me that part about Oblivion's huge breadth? Because I own the game since day 1 and I haven't noticed.
Simple. You can play any character you want, how you want.

You don't have to follow the story at all. You don't have to play any one type of character - if you want to play a heavy armoured, mace weilding spell caster you can do. You can go where you want, when you want.

It's a virtual world for you to spend time in as you want. But don't expect it to give it all on a plate to you, you have to use your imagination and put some work into it.
kalniel is offline

kalniel

SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,877

Default 

December 6th, 2006, 23:12
Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
Simple. You can play any character you want, how you want.

You don't have to follow the story at all. You don't have to play any one type of character - if you want to play a heavy armoured, mace weilding spell caster you can do. You can go where you want, when you want.

It's a virtual world for you to spend time in as you want. But don't expect it to give it all on a plate to you, you have to use your imagination and put some work into it.
Oh, come on. You can play any character you want as long as it's essentially a fighter/mage/assassin combination. You can't play a diplomatic character in any way, unless you count the silly mini-game that has little use and even less consequence.

I particularly hate the "virtual world" tag, because that says to me the world is complete and reactive, which Oblivion most certainly isn't. It's a huge combat sandbox…a massive map dotted with monsters and dungeons to fight your way across any way you like — as long as you like fighting essentially the same stuff in similar dungeons.

That doesn't make it "bad" (or even that other RPGs do certain things better) but it isn't half the virtual world that, say, Gothic is. There's no cohesion, no reaction.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#18

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

December 7th, 2006, 01:40
And the so called world of 'Oblivion' (through the gates) was terrible. Do you know of anyone who enjoyed that dull, boring and totally repetative part of the game?!! No wonder they kept it a secret till after the game was released!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#19

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,575
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

December 7th, 2006, 04:38
I enjoyed speedrunning it.
abbaon is offline

abbaon

abbaon's Avatar
Daft as a daisy

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 321
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Review @ Gamespot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:05.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch