|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » Tactics slots autolevel…- what the…

Default Tactics slots autolevel…- what the…

November 16th, 2009, 13:20
I hate the tactics function, I've disabled it for all my party members, (I micromanage) yet almost every time I level somebody up, in the "talents" section, I don't even get a chance to level up the much more usefuls skills like traps, herbalism and poisonmaking, -no, the character just automatically gets an additional tactics slot… -which I don't even use….
This is p'ing me off beyond belief, because I'm sitting with recipes that I cannot use, because I cannot seem to level up the relevant talents…

Is there any way to get rid of this automatic "tactics" leveling, so I can put my point where I would like it to go, instead of another moronic tactics slot?

Sorry. Thanks.

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

November 16th, 2009, 13:34
I *think* the automatic "tactics you get is "free" in the sense that that game gives them at certain level. It does not use your skill points. So there is no way to get skill points instead.

IIRC warriors and mages gets skill every 3 levels and rogues get it every 2 levels.

I may be wrong about the whole thing

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

November 16th, 2009, 13:39
New tactics slots are free indeed, you're not cheated of any points there. :-)

BlackHarmo

Watcher

November 16th, 2009, 13:57
Thanks for the info.
I can't help wondering then, why Wynne, who is in my game by now a level 10 mage, has only the single herbalism skill that she came with? ..and yet the "tactics" skill is filled in right up to the end - she is by now a "master tactician"

Can one not choose skills for the other party members besides your own player character?

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

November 16th, 2009, 14:35
You probably have automatic level up thingy switched on.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 16th, 2009, 15:10
Still doing it all manually except for my healer, which is working out perfectly.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2009, 15:16
Originally Posted by RivianWitch View Post
Thanks for the info.
I can't help wondering then, why Wynne, who is in my game by now a level 10 mage, has only the single herbalism skill that she came with? ..and yet the "tactics" skill is filled in right up to the end - she is by now a "master tactician"
She started that way.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2009, 15:53
I got her as a level 7 mage with tactics up to level 3, and herbalism level 1. So my last level up added tactics, I couldn't add anything else. See what I mean?

Also, I double-checked. My auto-level-up thingie is not enabled.

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

November 16th, 2009, 16:02
I got her as a level 7 mage with tactics up to level 3, and herbalism level 1. So my last level up added tactics, I couldn't add anything else. See what I mean?

You do realize that you don't get a skill increase every level?

You get a talent point every level. You only get a skill point every 3 levels, except for Rogues who get one every 2 levels.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 16th, 2009, 16:11

No no, you're confusing things. This is how it works.
When you level up (sometimes) you get a 'new tactic slot opened' or something messsage. That's automatic and has nothing to do with skills.
Wynnie starts with 3 combat tactics slots in the skill tree, which adds slots above and beyond what she automatically gets from leveling.
Skill points are awarded every hmm… 3 levels I think for non rogues, and every 2 levels for rogues (might be different numbers but I know rogues get more frequent skill points)

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

November 16th, 2009, 16:23
I hear what you're saying, but surely every 3 levels, should be: 1st skill on level 3, second skill on level 6, and 3rd skill on level 9? ..or am I counting wrong here?
..or even then… 1st skill on level 1, second on level 4, third on level 7, fourth on level 10?

??

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

November 16th, 2009, 21:23
I hear what you're saying, but surely every 3 levels, should be: 1st skill on level 3, second skill on level 6, and 3rd skill on level 9? ..or am I counting wrong here?
..or even then… 1st skill on level 1, second on level 4, third on level 7, fourth on level 10?

??
I *think* that you start with 2 and then gain 1 every 2/3 levels (rogue/non rogue), so for example Wynne at level 7 would have 2 at start, +1 at level 3 and +1 at level 6 so 4 total (what you said, 3 in the tactic skill tree and 1 in herbalism)

wolfing

November 16th, 2009, 21:52
Exactly, -so the whole point that I am so upset about, is that I didn't get to allocate her level 9 skill, it seems to have been done for me? (I made a point of disabling the autoleveling, first thing).

Oh well… - nevermind… I'll be watching when it gets to level 12….

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

November 17th, 2009, 03:11
(I made a point of disabling the autoleveling, first thing).
I don't believe auto-levelling is enabled by default. So you might have turned it on and sunk the point.

pox67

Watchdog

November 17th, 2009, 04:15
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
I don't believe auto-levelling is enabled by default. So you might have turned it on and sunk the point.
This is true, none of my NPCs had auto-levelling enabled.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 17th, 2009, 13:16
Speaking of leveling up….

I finally just realized that even the NPCs that aren't in your active party share in experience. I hadn't used Sten or my War Hound in ages, and I just discovered that they leveled up twice while sitting around the campfire.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 17th, 2009, 13:33
Make of it what you will, but Wynne has just moved on to level 12, and I could allocate her talent this time… Well.. -her tactics row of slots is full after all..

JDR 13 - I saw everyone in active group gets XP, didn't realize back at camp too.

It's actually a bit of a pity… - I'd have loved to have been able to give Morrigan all the exp and let her get a bunch of super area effect spells…
Last edited by RivianWitch; November 17th, 2009 at 13:50.

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

November 17th, 2009, 15:36
I hadn't used my dog since like, ever. When I recently added him to my group to give him a bone, I noticed he had 27 unallocated stat points

wolfing

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » Tactics slots autolevel…- what the…