|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » Zero Punctuation *kinda* DA:O review

Default Zero Punctuation *kinda* DA:O review

November 20th, 2009, 21:53
Yahtzee reviews Dragon Age, and seems pretty ho-hum to the whole thing. Funny tho

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

November 20th, 2009, 23:11
I'm unsure what is funny there. I find it boring. The only review I liked there was Guitar Hero III. All others are… Yaaaaawn.

joxer

Mass Effect 4 Shepard
RPGWatch Donor

November 21st, 2009, 02:12
For Yahtzee, that's a pretty positive review.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

November 21st, 2009, 02:37
"Basically, if you like fantasy RPGs, then Dragon Age is about as definitive as they get. And if you don't like fantasy RPGs, then I guess you can just go off and have sex with people instead."
How is that not hilarious? As someone who's actually chosen games (like Dwarf Fortress) over non-monogamous sex from time to time, I just find it delightful that someone is out there keeping it real. Real bitter. What's great about Yahtzee is that he loves games, but he doesn't let us forget that we're all weirdos.

And we are.

Plus it's good to have a reviewer who's willing to focus on the specific parts of a game that rub him the wrong way, without burying his particular viewpoint in the middle of a 4-webpage description of the game (which you probably already read before the damned thing was released, or at the very least in one of the 2 or 4 reviews you'd read earlier).

Yeesh

Hopeless Curmudgeon

November 21st, 2009, 04:47
Really *not* a review, it is always about finding a few flaws and pounding one them again and again …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 21st, 2009, 06:06
Well, I closed it half-way, wondering how I managed to stand it for that long anyway.

BlackHarmo

Watcher

November 21st, 2009, 17:32
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Really *not* a review, it is always about finding a few flaws and pounding one them again and again …
While I agree that it's not really a review, just a long protracted rant - he's not taking a few points and pounding on them - he's taking the entire game (and games of it's ilk) and their conventions and pounding on them. From the character choice, to the questing, to the dialogue, to mucking around at a merchant, he's covering all the bases - and basically skewering it. Which is fine, it's nothing that we wouldnt say ourselves, albeit in a different fashion of course, if the surrounding fluff and fun wasnt as good as it is.

He just rants on games, either you love him or hate him. I think it's hilarious. I have to watch it a couple times tho to really absorb the whole thing. "dragon age calls itself a 'dark fantasy', which is kinda cute really, like a D&D nerd getting his ear pierced because he fancies the goth girl who works at Starbucks" LOL

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

November 22nd, 2009, 20:04
For me he is pretty spot on. Same old stuff as in most other fantasy role playing games, but done well and entertaining.

SveNitoR

Sentinel

November 25th, 2009, 08:40
I think that was funny. Not as much a stab at Dragon Age in particular but the hobby in general!

mute

Sentinel

November 25th, 2009, 14:42
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
He just rants on games, either you love him or hate him. I think it's hilarious. I have to watch it a couple times tho to really absorb the whole thing. "dragon age calls itself a 'dark fantasy', which is kinda cute really, like a D&D nerd getting his ear pierced because he fancies the goth girl who works at Starbucks" LOL
Agree - we all were talking about that stuff from the marketing campaign!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » Zero Punctuation *kinda* DA:O review