|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » I'm Hooked

Default I'm Hooked

November 30th, 2009, 20:53
My spouse told me I broke my world record over the weekend. Almost did nothing else…

I have 6 characters for the 6 origins, but only playing one past its origin (for now) - an elven mage.

Have got the hang of combat - tactics disabled, pausing manually every round. Still wish there was an autopause every round feature. Sometimes I let it ride on "autoplay" but if I don't pay attention, a character usually dies. Should probably enable tactics only for emergencies (eg healing).

Normally I don't go for this sort of thing, but the TONS of exceptional voiceacting really sucked me into the story and characters, especially the companions.

Kudos to Bioware!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

November 30th, 2009, 21:46
Yeah, it's fun. Pretty much all weekend here, thankfully my girl was playing LOTRO so I wouldnt face any distractions!

I was torn whether to keep the Mabari war hound or ditch him for another party member since a few more have joined my roster. Looking at his stats tho, he does pretty respectable dmg (not that much below alistair), he's pretty tough, and has pretty good fire/cold/etc resistances as well. Also gotta love some of his abilities like the aoe stun "Dread Howl" and the knockdown-takeout of "Overpower".

Still rolling w/ the orginal crew - Alistair, Morrigan, Mabari War Hound, my Rogue.
Last edited by xSamhainx; November 30th, 2009 at 22:09.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

November 30th, 2009, 23:01
…the TONS of exceptional voiceacting really sucked me into the story and characters, especially the companions.

Kudos to Bioware!

Same, very good indeed

I like the old-adventure style 'You look at the door and you see something' (Continue) - very cool

EvanOfCaerleon

Traveler

November 30th, 2009, 23:25
My party now is my mage, Leilani, Alistair, and Morrigan.

It looks like I've exhausted all the inter-party banters at Lothring (I don't get any more by crossing the bridge), so for variety I think I'll swap out Alistair for Sten. I've left the dog at camp, but I used him for a while in Lothring before getting Leilani. He sure is useful for finding things. He found the best staff for my mage.

I've finished Lothring, and am working through the golem quest, now. I'll leave the golem at camp until I get the first approval bonus for Sten (I've got all the others, except the dog).

What's the trick for Sten? None of the conversation options led to much of an approval bonus for him…. I'm thinking I need to walk Sten around Lothring to annoy the townsfolk.

Not sure if there are any approval boni to be had for the dog, since he is already at max approval.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

November 30th, 2009, 23:42
oh yeah, that's a great little Mabari perk. Unfortunately I often forget to send him out looking for new stuff when I enter an area, i need to remember to do that.

Another thing if you ever use him again, look for "landmarks" in an area. Run him over and pee on the landmark and he assumes dominance in the area. Basically +2 to his STR,DEX, and CON for being the 'top dog' on the map!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

December 1st, 2009, 00:05
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
What's the trick for Sten? None of the conversation options led to much of an approval bonus for him…
Kick his ass? Yes its true, he look down on you, until you take on one of his challenge, and show him who's the boss! Also, give him the paintings gift you find, his a sucker fore them, usual give +6 to +8 par gift.

Phonix

Watchdog

December 1st, 2009, 00:10
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
Another thing if you ever use him again, look for "landmarks" in an area. Run him over and pee on the landmark and he assumes dominance in the area. Basically +2 to his STR,DEX, and CON for being the 'top dog' on the map!
Oh thanks! I have been wondering about the several landmarks places i found in game…

Remus

Antihero

December 1st, 2009, 01:03
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
oh yeah, that's a great little Mabari perk. Unfortunately I often forget to send him out looking for new stuff when I enter an area, i need to remember to do that.

Yes, don't we love that gritty dog peeing animation.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 1st, 2009, 01:05
Originally Posted by Phonix View Post
Kick his ass? Yes its true, he look down on you, until you take on one of his challenge, and show him who's the boss! Also, give him the paintings gift you find, his a sucker fore them, usual give +6 to +8 par gift.
How do you get him to challenge you? Maybe I blew it by exhausting the convo options by never trying the mean responses that would annoy him….

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 1st, 2009, 01:49
How do you get him to challenge you? Maybe I blew it by exhausting the convo options by never trying the mean responses that would annoy him….
Hmmm let see if I rember correct, he was "bitching" aboute we was going the wrong way, he do that then you enter a new location, ask that he will do difrend, then he say that he lead the party from now on? chose the "just try" option, and he attack you, then you win you get +13, I think. Well somthing like that.

Phonix

Watchdog

December 1st, 2009, 02:04
Thanks, I figured I had to lead him around until he got into trouble.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 1st, 2009, 22:31
I like it because I'm going through a lot of anxiety at the moment and when I'm sleeping and playing Dragon Age is the only time I don't think about it.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

December 1st, 2009, 22:44
Well I ran Sten around: Lothring, Flemmeths Hut, the Stone Prisoner village (can't remember it's name). And Sten hasn't done anything or changed.

BTW, WTF with the super scaled wolf random encounter ambush?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 1st, 2009, 23:03
Well I ran Sten around: Lothring, Flemmeths Hut, the Stone Prisoner village (can't remember it's name). And Sten hasn't done anything or changed.

BTW, WTF with the super scaled wolf random encounter ambush?
He aproce you automatic, and ask why you are wasting time, instead going head on whit The Blight, to me he did it 1st time I was in The Cult Village, and 1st time I was at the Inn near the Circle tower.

The wolf encounter is quite bad at low level, but at high level its quite easy.

Phonix

Watchdog

December 2nd, 2009, 00:05
If I have it again, I'll have to try something more desperate, like casting blizzard on the party and hope someone escapes to take out the frozen wolfs, while avoiding all the traps…

What was the deal with the meteor crater and the disappearing people and found child?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 2nd, 2009, 00:12
If I have it again, I'll have to try something more desperate, like casting blizzard on the party and hope someone escapes to take out the frozen wolfs, while avoiding all the traps…

What was the deal with the meteor crater and the disappearing people and found child?
At high level my tank just used "Taunt", then the DPS toke them down one by one, as I did not moved much, the traps was no problem.

Its a Superman joke

But you can take the metoer from the crater, and get a blacksmith to make somthing whit it, I have not found the blacksmit myself yet.

Phonix

Watchdog

December 2nd, 2009, 00:34
You can take the meteorite to the blacksmith at the Warden's Keep DLC. I would also try the two smiths in Denerim (Gorim and Wade?)

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 2nd, 2009, 00:41
At high level my tank just used "Taunt", then the DPS toke them down one by one, as I did not moved much, the traps was no problem.
That's what I did, but since I really don't have a DPS character (except my mage amd Morrigan who run out of spells), it didn't work. I'm hoping to turn Leilani into a DPS rogue with dual-wielding but since she has no DW skills to start, I'm a bit pessimistic…

Its a Superman joke .
I was flummoxed by their disappearance… nevermind.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 2nd, 2009, 05:45
"DPS" character?

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 2nd, 2009, 05:52
Damage Per Second, the heavy hitters in your crew

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Dragon Age » Dragon Age: Origins » I'm Hooked