|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Microsoft Games - New Cases for Xbox 360 Games

Default Microsoft Games - New Cases for Xbox 360 Games

December 2nd, 2009, 20:01
A short article over at www.destructoid.com tells about Microsoft joning the people that want to protect the environment. New cases, lighter than the older ones, for the for Xbox 360 games have been made.
The new cases are supposed to be more environmentally friendly (eyeroll) and have also been made lighter to reduce shipping weight. They were designed by Viva Group in order to better perform according to Walmart's "packaging scorecard" initiative — a scheme that aims to reduce packaging materials by 5% before 2013.
Do you think this is a good thing? Or is this just a marketing ploy?
More information.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 2nd, 2009, 20:01
Reduced shipping weight = reduced cost. That's the real and only reason for the change. The enviornmental angle is just a convenient politically correct bi-product of the real motive.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

December 2nd, 2009, 23:25
Do you think this is a good thing to post and discuss on everyone's favourite PC CRPG site? Or is this just a marketing ploy?

(of course it is the latter…)

Moorkh

little backer that could

December 2nd, 2009, 23:40
hmmm or use Digital Download, its 100% environmentally friendly

Phonix

Watchdog

December 3rd, 2009, 00:55
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Reduced shipping weight = reduced cost. That's the real and only reason for the change. The enviornmental angle is just a convenient politically correct bi-product of the real motive.
that's exactly what I was going to say

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

December 3rd, 2009, 01:38
This is a huge deal for folks on the game trading site Goozex, as many folks have started seeing cracked or broken cases - and sometimes damaged games - even when packed in a bubble mailer, all because of the new cases!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 3rd, 2009, 05:42
I was recalling the other machines in history and their smaller cases, starting with the Atari 2600.

The reasons I remember are reduced amounts of components and I later learned the machines started needed less hsielding. In some cases, like those old 1200 baud modems, the cases acted as heat sinks.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

December 3rd, 2009, 10:47
Originally Posted by Phonix View Post
hmmm or use Digital Download, its 100% environmentally friendly
… except that your computer is turned on for a long time (possibly overnight if you have a slow connection?) while you download the games. Not exactly environmental friendly

KasperFauerby

Sentinel

December 3rd, 2009, 12:19
Originally Posted by KasperFauerby View Post
… except that your computer is turned on for a long time (possibly overnight if you have a slow connection?) while you download the games. Not exactly environmental friendly
It's a LOT more environmentally friendly then the excess garbage those packages create. not to mention the cutting of woods needed for the paper to make the manuals and of course the gas needed for the tracks who ship the game itself.

This is why i haven't visited a gaming store in years now. I'm sorry, but there are things a bit more important then having some game case laying around.

gargar

Watcher

December 3rd, 2009, 12:45
I'd be very surprised if the next Xbox isn't going to be 100% digital in terms of game distribution.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 3rd, 2009, 20:46
Reduced packaging also means waste that I don't have to pay to get rid of. I bet that packaging of one sort or another makes up the bulk of garbage.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

December 4th, 2009, 05:52
Originally Posted by KasperFauerby View Post
except that your computer is turned on for a long time (possibly overnight if you have a slow connection?) while you download the games. Not exactly environmental friendly
Usual gamers got a good connection, and probely downlading it while they using the computer anyway, working, playing other games, surfing or lookin at "adult movies", in that case it's almost 100% free.

Phonix

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Microsoft Games - New Cases for Xbox 360 Games