Avernum 6 - Release Blog

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A minor item but Spiderweb fans might be interested in Jeff's blog post about the release of Avernum 6. He talks about his lack of PR skills and mentions an idea for a future possible Avernum 0:
Anyway, Avernum 6. Despite my efforts, it is doing very well. So far, it is selling better than Avernum 5. Which sold better than Avernum 4. Which itself sold fantastically well. So I am pleased about that.

And yet, I have a lot of angst, because it is the last Avernum game. Avernum games have always been our best sellers, so it pains me to drop it, but, if I don't start doing new things soon, I will go mad. So I have to step off the sequel-train for a while for my mental survival's sake.

(Though, actually, I have a really cool idea for Avernum Zero. Basically I one-off prequel set in the years before the first game. Maybe in four or five years, if I think I can come up with something actually good, I'll go back to the well one more time.)
More information.

Yeah, yeah … the series was supposed to end with four. But Jeff needs a new pair of shoes. I look forward to Avernum 7. Get coding Jeff. Now. Move monkey boy. The only alternative is putting up with your appalling Cliff Notes For Pig Ignorant Colonials history of the British Isles … because Roman Legions had significant problems with goblins during the latter days of the Julio-Claudian dynstany. Spare us a Nethergate 2.

Wow Cassius - do you like ANYTHING? It seems every post of yours is negative. Avernum 6 is an excellent game, and having been beta testing the last few, I don't recall any mention of it supposedly ending at 4.

I request that you either provide solid evidence to support that claim or apologize and admit your error.

The only alternative is putting up with your appalling Cliff Notes For Pig Ignorant Colonials history of the British Isles … because Roman Legions had significant problems with goblins during the latter days of the Julio-Claudian dynstany. Spare us a Nethergate 2.

Did you actually play Nethergate? If you did you would know that a lot of lore was put into that game. Far more than you would find any other publisher doing for this type of games. A major developer would of just made the Fay a replacement for elves and left it at that, but he went above and beyond and dig some actual research.

Wow Cassius - do you like ANYTHING? It seems every post of yours is negative. Avernum 6 is an excellent game, and having been beta testing the last few, I don't recall any mention of it supposedly ending at 4.

I request that you either provide solid evidence to support that claim or apologize and admit your error.
I apologize, admit my error, and fall on my sword. I'm not sure what I was confusing that with. Maybe Geneforge 4? I recall Jeff making an annoucment - and being quite surprised by it - on either one of those series ending on 4. My memory is in error. Perhaps I'm just bitter because I don't want either series to end?

Wow Cassius - do you like ANYTHING?
Nope, everthing is horrible, hopeless and BLACK. I'm off to listen to my Cure CDs. Conformists …

skavenhorde said:
Did you actually play Nethergate? If you did you would know that a lot of lore was put into that game.
Yes I did, and what I experienced was a standard high fantasy game with some Celtic and Roman terms tacked on. If it was Geneforge we were talking about I'd agree - a lot of fresh lore went into that game.

Back
Top Bottom