|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Review @ Game Industry News

Default Gothic 3 - Review @ Game Industry News

December 18th, 2006, 21:25
The latest site to review Gothic 3 is Game Industry News. The score is 3.5/5 and here's the conclusion:
Unfortunately any praises given to Gothic 3 within this review are negated by The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Oblivion set the bar so extremely high for single player role-playing games that Gothic 3 regrettably can’t match it. While Oblivion suffered from an enormous catalog of bugs (almost all have since been fixed) the sheer incredible amount of immersion, freedom, exploration and addictiveness is something that Gothic 3 sadly lacks. If your decision boils down to purchasing Gothic 3 or Oblivion I absolutely recommend Oblivion.
All things considered as a fan of the Gothic series this third iteration is a welcomed addition. I highly recommend it for series fans. For everyone else the quirks and bugs will probably drive you mad. However if you can look past them then Gothic 3 could perhaps be a game to your liking.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 21:25
I wasn't a priori a fan of the Elder Scrolls or Gothic. Now that I've logged considerable hours in both games, I have to say I disagree completely, 180 degrees, with this review's conclusion.

I found Oblivion, comparatively speaking, to be weak, redundant, spoonfed pablum compared to G3. With a dozen or so much needed mods, Oblivion was playable and fun, but Gothic 3 blew me away with how much MORE fun this type of game could be.

And that's with the bugs.

Viva Gothic 3!
screeg is offline

screeg

screeg's Avatar
floating head

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 834

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 21:44
This reviewer guy is obviously aware of the G3 v Obli' scenario and is doing no more than 'playing to the band' and trying to raise more hackles, a shame he's a little late and others have beaten him to it! ……….
Wulf is offline

Wulf

Wulf's Avatar
Inquisitor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-West England
Posts: 1,104

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 22:10
For most people I would recommend Oblivion as well - but that is because simple action games with role-playing elements play better to a mass audience than a hardcore game.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,327

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 22:48
I dont care the reviewers opinion. We all know that every serious RPG gamer would rather play G3 than O any day.
RatavuK is offline

RatavuK

RatavuK's Avatar
Watcher

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 22

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 23:08
Originally Posted by RatavuK View Post
We all know that every serious RPG gamer would rather play G3 than O any day.
I didnt know that. Thanks for the heads up !
Cormac is offline

Cormac

Sentinel

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 405

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 23:19
I am glad Dhruin highlighted that paragraph as the review seem fair up to that point it took a complete nose dive in the the realm of bs.
Acleacius is offline

Acleacius

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,491

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 23:36
oblivion might be an excellent game, but hell it ain't an excellent roleplaying game. Where is the roleplaying if there are no real consequences for player's actions.
Dez is offline

Dez

Dez's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,112

Default 

December 18th, 2006, 23:43
Since OB is a roleplaying game, it cant be an excellent game without being an excellent rpg. If it's a bad rpg, then it's a bad game.
Cormac is offline

Cormac

Sentinel

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 405

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 00:19
Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
Since OB is a roleplaying game, it cant be an excellent game without being an excellent rpg. If it's a bad rpg, then it's a bad game.

I like the way you think.
roqua is offline

roqua

roqua's Avatar
Sentinel

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 474

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 00:20
the sheer incredible amount of immersion, freedom, exploration and addictiveness is something that Gothic 3 sadly lacks.
And there goes that reviewers credibility. It's hard to believe that he even played the game.
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 977

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 01:57
Yeah in this case I would have to say your right and he must have fake it.
It's not possible to be a Gothic fan of G1 and G2, then come to the conclusion Oblivion is a real RPG and G3 is no comparison, so he is lying about something.
Acleacius is offline

Acleacius

SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,491

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 02:43
That site awarded Oblivion with 5 stars in all categories - Gameplay, Graphics, Audio, Value and Fun.

*sigh* We need more review sites which do not pander to the unjustified hype of mainstream games. Probably an impossible dream, I guess.
Dr. A is offline

Dr. A

Dr. A's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 801

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 02:59
My complaint is that NO reviewer should use comparison with a different game as the yardstick for giving a score!! Take Oblivion out of the equation; assume there was no such game. Now, what score should G3 get? Anything else is crap!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is online now

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#14

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,333
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 03:29
Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
Since OB is a roleplaying game, it cant be an excellent game without being an excellent rpg. If it's a bad rpg, then it's a bad game.
Your zeroeth assumption is flawed, therefore your logic train is derailed.

Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
My complaint is that NO reviewer should use comparison with a different game as the yardstick for giving a score!! Take Oblivion out of the equation; assume there was no such game. Now, what score should G3 get? Anything else is crap!!
I completely agree - I got crap from GamerDad early on by referencing other games as yardsticks. It shouldn't be done.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,327

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 03:31
What about G1 and G2 as yardsticks. I would think any review was flawed if it didn't take into account rpevious games from the series.
roqua is offline

roqua

roqua's Avatar
Sentinel

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 474

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 04:21
NO, a game must stand on its own merits when being given a review score!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is online now

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#17

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,333
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 05:59
And we have another Gothic to Oblivion comparison instead of a review…
Danicek is offline

Danicek

Danicek's Avatar
Sentinel

#18

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic
Posts: 418

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 08:49
A game CANNOT stand on its own. You played Gothic I, you played Gothic II. Both great games. So Gothic III just has to be as deep as its predecessors. It isn't. It is the weakest game in the series. If you did'n know the first two games you'd probably think: "Hey, a great game!". But people who know them think: "Hey, that's not so good at all…". You cannot ignore the fact that Piranha Bytes already made far better games when coming to a review score. Of course, that's my opinion. We haven't to agree in this point ; - )

'Darkness warshed over the Dude - darker''n a black steer''s tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom.' The Stranger (The Big Lebowski, 1999)
20mithrandir is offline

20mithrandir

20mithrandir's Avatar
Watcher

#19

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 50

Default 

December 19th, 2006, 08:53
Originally Posted by Danicek View Post
And we have another Gothic to Oblivion comparison instead of a review…
Well said. I'm really sad.

I just finished G3 the last week and I'm very very pleased. Can't wait for the expansion.

Happy Xmas everybody! (my NWN2 and MTW2 is already under the tree….)

ps: and I'm thinking of giving my Oblivion to my nephew. He really likes shooters. ;P
Last edited by lilithn; December 19th, 2006 at 09:04. Reason: ps. for joking reasons…
lilithn is offline

lilithn

lilithn's Avatar
Watcher

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Review @ Game Industry News
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:59.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch