|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » GamersGate Alternative for digital dload?

Default GamersGate Alternative for digital dload?

January 7th, 2010, 10:53
Hi All,

Gamersgate no longer accepts my credit card (well, Paynova at least). I have spent hours on the phone to my bank, and they assure me the transactions are not even getting through to them - I'm fed up. Oddly enough it worked for a bit, but now it's broken.

Anyway, I'd like to find a site for sigital downloads that
1) does not use Paynova (or Paypal )
2) allows me to download a game installation to one machine, copy the relevant files to another and then install there with no issues. My understanding is the direct2Drive does not allows this? And they also seem very restrictive on who they sell games to. GGate allowed me to do just this, which is why I used them.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

January 7th, 2010, 14:22
sorted - they had blocked my card because I'd entered my password incorrectly at some point. yay.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

January 8th, 2010, 01:26
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
sorted - they had blocked my card because I'd entered my password incorrectly at some point. yay.
Glad to hear … I had nothing good to suggest otherwise!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 10th, 2010, 11:12
Why are you not using Steam? It allows you to backup games and play them on many machines. And you just pay with your credit card directly.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

January 10th, 2010, 14:26
Originally Posted by Zakhary View Post
Why are you not using Steam? It allows you to backup games and play them on many machines. And you just pay with your credit card directly.
I have a terrible home connection, so I download the game at work (…!) , copy the install files to my home PC and complete the installation there. I suspect steam would expect me to install the game where it is downloaded, which would not work for me. Or not?

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

January 10th, 2010, 17:45
You install steam. Then you click on the game you want to install. it installs it under the steam directory and updates it automatically. then you click on "backup game files" and it puts a nice clean single archive of all the game files in a place of your choosing (usb drive, for example). then you just click on uninstall game and steam removes the game from the computer but you have the game backup archive somehere stored. then you can uninstall steam itself from your work computer if you will. And if you're feeling particularly paranoid you could do this under somekind of sandboxing of virtualization software leaving no trace of something ever been done on your work computer.

then you go home, and click on the steam backup game archive and it does everything automatically from there. then just start playing.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

January 10th, 2010, 18:04
Why not use GG as well? I like the big three (Impulse, Steam and GamersGate) and use them all.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

January 11th, 2010, 19:55
You install steam. Then you click on the game you w

<snip>

then you go home, and click on the steam backup game archive and it does everything automatically from there. then just start playing.
Ah - thanks for the info. I only ever used Steam for HL2 (and the 1st episode)…and I must admit that i didn't know it was that accommodating. I always buy the boxed edition unless it's not imported. Bandwidth is expensive here (avg monthly cap is only 3GB), and paying and extra 50-60% of the game's resale price for the extra dload bandwidth does not sit well with me (funny that ;-) Of course, using my employers bandwidth is somewhat cheeky - buy we have enough to spare at the moment. Hopefully this year *fingers crossed* we'll finally get the bandwidth boost (and price drops) we've been promised for years…

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » GamersGate Alternative for digital dload?