|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Securom? problem with Fallout 3 GOTY

Default Securom? problem with Fallout 3 GOTY

December 19th, 2009, 23:42
I have the vanilla FO3, but it seemed cheaper to get the GOTY copy than to buy the DLC seperately, so I got it, and now the game won't launch and securom is giving me a message saying to disable dla, which doesn't work.

Now I cannot launch the game. Any suggestions?
I just recently got a new disc drive - so I don't want to go the route of buying a new drive, a solution I saw for this prob somewhere

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

December 21st, 2009, 13:54
Try to launch the game using CD's .exe , at least this is what Beth's guys told us.

The fun part was Beth denying that securom was used

Tragos

Otinanist

December 22nd, 2009, 15:40
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
Are you serious? That's too funny….

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 22nd, 2009, 22:47
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
Try to launch the game using CD's .exe , at least this is what Beth's guys told us.

Please don't make me defend Bethesda …

"For Fallout 3ís copy protection on PC, we use the same security model as we did for Oblivion - a simple disc check. We only use SecuRomís disc check functionality for copy protection. We do NOT limit the number of installs. We do NOT use online authentication or any other SecuROM functionality except for a disc check when you install the game and when you launch the game. We do not install any other programs and we donít have anything that runs in the background while youíre playing the game.

If you experience issues installing the game, try running setup.exe directly off the disc. That will resolve most compatibility issues."

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 23rd, 2009, 11:46
Ah, thanks, people.

That seems to have solved it. Funny, though, that I didn't have any problems with the original vanilla FO3…

Yeah, it's sad that so much overkill was done with DRM that it's now become a dirty word. Ah, well- people having come to hate DRM is what makes DRM-free game providers such as GOG so popular - and I like GOG, because they do a good job on the compatibility front too.

Now we just need to make this "limited activation" thing some publishers dish up, go away. I detest that, because I have more than one PC and I upgrade/format/change hard disks quite often.

Especially with RPG's and strategy games, you're going to want to replay them often - so the limited activation thing is a no-no for me.

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch

December 23rd, 2009, 12:01
txa1265 this came out AFTER several complaints on FO forum

Unfortunately the thread is locked and it asks to login ( i am banned for life )

Tragos

Otinanist

December 29th, 2009, 13:54
Vanilla FO3 has only a copy protection on the launcher. I made a shortcut to the fallout3.exe and was able to play without disc at all. It's probably the same for the GOTY edition.

decoderm

Watcher

January 6th, 2010, 13:42
I still don't get why I didn't have these problems with Fallout 3 and securom but do have them with Divinity 2 and securom. It sometimes seems so random.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

January 7th, 2010, 05:48
I've never had a single problem with any game that used securom, or starforce either. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones…

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 7th, 2010, 06:03
I have both and GOTY does perform differently than the vanilla, I never had any issues with vanilla but I have to keep my second drive ejected in order for GOTY to start up.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

January 10th, 2010, 11:15
I have the fallout 3 goty. I dont even need the cd in the drive to play.
Just launch the fallout3w.exe directly.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Securom? problem with Fallout 3 GOTY