|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Am I the only one that finds Darkspawn concept unbelivable ?

Default Am I the only one that finds Darkspawn concept unbelivable ?

July 15th, 2010, 18:04
Ever since Bioware explained concept behind Darkspawn in Dragons age , i found the concept pretty illogical.

Darkspawn are described as creatures incapable of speech. Let say that this puts them somewhere near ape on intelligence scale.

Further more - they are hive mind. Sci Fi concept usually connected to insectoids.

So lets summarize - Insectoid apes possessing only basic animal intelligence , living in exclusively hostile social structure (eating and killing each other)

Ok

So how come Darkspawn use modern medieval age weapons ?

Swords and shield - this is martial art. Knights and soldiers were trained for years in use of this weapons - and they poses human IQ

But it doesnt end at that.

Every darkspawn you encounter wears high quality armor. Breast plate, chainmail , Full plate

Even donning this armor is procedure requiring help of a squire.

Lets not even talk about maintaining these weapons and armors.


Now some explanations talk about human infected that make armors and weapons for Darkspawn. But do they train them too ? And how can you train unintelligent creature in high martial art?


In game Darkspawn look and act like equivalent to Tolkien orcs, while in fact they are much more akin to D&D Gibberlings





Anyway. Its something that bothered and broken immersion for me trough whole game.

And i consider it real shoddy writing on part of Bioware concept team.


How about you ?
Twotricks is offline

Twotricks

Sentinel

#1

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 481

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 18:28
because it seems to me the basis for these creatures is taken from Trollocs

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/creatur…ocs/index.html

literally a type of Darkspawn in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - in itself very well known to be derivative.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 3,188

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 18:36
Come on, how could you even try to take them and the story seriously? This whole idea of evil darkspawn destroying the world is retarded in any way. Don't look for logic where you can't find it. HEY! HELLO! IT'S BIOWARE!

<3
Konjad is offline

Konjad

Konjad's Avatar
Watch traitor from Codex

#3

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 711

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 18:53
Originally Posted by Konjad View Post
Come on, how could you even try to take them and the story seriously? This whole idea of evil darkspawn destroying the world is retarded in any way. Don't look for logic where you can't find it. HEY! HELLO! IT'S BIOWARE!
I do not agree. Even though its fantasy, it does not mean that the world as it self does not abide to certain rules. Even though the author sets it, it has to be grounded in some sort of logic.

Otherwise its just fairytale.
Twotricks is offline

Twotricks

Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 481

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 18:54
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
because it seems to me the basis for these creatures is taken from Trollocs

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/creatur…ocs/index.html

literally a type of Darkspawn in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - in itself very well known to be derivative.
No
Trollocs are intelligent. And have their own language.
Twotricks is offline

Twotricks

Sentinel

#5

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 481

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 20:07
It's such bland, generic setting… with all the tens of millions spent on the production, it's staggering how unoriginal and uninspired the game is. How dull the dialogue is. All that money went to voice actors and render farms. (and, of course, promotion.)

I actually like my fantasy fairly stereotypical. 14th century works for me. Leiber, Tolkien, etc. That's whats so stunning about Dragon Age. I should like it. I'm the target audience, or part thereof.

I know I'm not the only one reading this who's been through a few tabletop campaigns that featured far, far more imagination; usually sprung from the minds of caffeinated, but ordinary, teenagers. Not professional writers paid tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Of course, it's the marketing dept. that probably made the end product so forgettable. Keep it generic. Appeal to the largest demographic. Sigh.

The Darkspawn are, I agree, dumb. What's really unfortunate is how seamlessly they fit into the greater dumbness they inhabit.

(All of this is even more meaningless because the real problems with the game are the core mechanics. Inching ever closer to the DVD-menu-as-game genre is Bioware.)
Dyspaire is offline

Dyspaire

Watcher

#6

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Relative
Posts: 60

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 21:53
How is something spawned from the absence of light?
lowball is offline

lowball

lowball's Avatar
Traveler

#7

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 22:40
It'd be better 'darkspawn' than 'shitspawn'. Though, on the other hand…

Originally Posted by Twotricks View Post
I do not agree. Even though its fantasy, it does not mean that the world as it self does not abide to certain rules. Even though the author sets it, it has to be grounded in some sort of logic.

Otherwise its just fairytale.
Well, then DA is a fairytale (and the worst one I ever heard). It's just illogical, story, characters etc. It's plainly retarded. There is no explanation to this. I didn't expect more from a modern Bioware anyway.

<3
Konjad is offline

Konjad

Konjad's Avatar
Watch traitor from Codex

#8

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 711

Default 

July 15th, 2010, 23:50
Originally Posted by Dyspaire View Post
It's such bland, generic setting… with all the tens of millions spent on the production, it's staggering how unoriginal and uninspired the game is. How dull the dialogue is. All that money went to voice actors and render farms. (and, of course, promotion.)

I actually like my fantasy fairly stereotypical. 14th century works for me. Leiber, Tolkien, etc. That's whats so stunning about Dragon Age. I should like it. I'm the target audience, or part thereof.

I know I'm not the only one reading this who's been through a few tabletop campaigns that featured far, far more imagination; usually sprung from the minds of caffeinated, but ordinary, teenagers. Not professional writers paid tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Of course, it's the marketing dept. that probably made the end product so forgettable. Keep it generic. Appeal to the largest demographic. Sigh.

The Darkspawn are, I agree, dumb. What's really unfortunate is how seamlessly they fit into the greater dumbness they inhabit.

(All of this is even more meaningless because the real problems with the game are the core mechanics. Inching ever closer to the DVD-menu-as-game genre is Bioware.)
This is exactly how I felt about DA:O
Twotricks is offline

Twotricks

Sentinel

#9

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 481

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 00:56
After finishing up the Darkspawn, I had no desire to finish the game!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#10

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,389
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 01:09
Unbelievable compared to what?

I could point to something unbelievable in almost any crpg….
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,671

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 02:48
Originally Posted by Twotricks View Post
No
Trollocs are intelligent. And have their own language.
Darkspawn - name derivative check
Look - derivative check

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying its a ripoff. Probably a poor one at that but I've never played the game.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 3,188

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 08:16
The Darkspawn are capable of understanding spoken language though, as is evident by the talking Darkspawn that are ordering the others around in Dragon Age : Awakening.

And considering that the brood mothers are capable of speech, also shown in Dragon Age : Awakening, I think that it's more than likely that they command the other Darkspawn around.

- If at first you don't succeed… try, try again.
Davion is offline

Davion

Davion's Avatar
Lawful Good

#13

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Belgium, Brasschaat
Posts: 256

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 09:53
you are underestimating apes


I have more problem believing that Dwarves live underground .
Tragos is offline

Tragos

Tragos's Avatar
Otinanist

#14

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens (the original one)
Posts: 1,435

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 10:29
Originally Posted by Twotricks
Darkspawn are described as creatures incapable of speech. Let say that this puts them somewhere near ape on intelligence scale.
These [hurlock] darkspawn are the only ones recorded as being capable of human speech and are often capable of employing magic.
[SOURCE]

Your entire argument hinges on the assumption that they lack the requisite intelligence to speak, craft arms/armor and perform other various high level tasks/functions… Excuse my appeal to ignorance, however, absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence(that cartoon kills me).

Originally Posted by Twotricks
Further more - they are hive mind. Sci Fi concept usually connected to insectoids.
The darkspawn horde is connected through the taint, functioning as a hive-mind similar to ants. While high ranking darkspawn (like Emissaries or Alphas) have a limited influence upon small groups, only an archdemon can command the entire horde.
[SOURCE]

I think they could stand to flesh out the lore more(or have they?). But I have no problem with Biowhore borrowing concepts from sci-fi.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

What killed immersion for me wasn't the concept of the darkspawn - no, it was the lack of meaningful C&C. *Spoiler alert* I played as a mage and all throughout that origin and later mage related encounters blood magic was looked upon as a taboo or innately evil(Jowan was to be made tranquil for having been accused of dabbling in it). Yet after gaining access to the specialization no one seemed to care one way or the other, hell I could get Wynne to become one too! That was a huge let down(IMO), after having built up the dangers of blood magic they simply let an excellent opportunity for RPing go untapped. Oh well.
MasterKromm is offline

MasterKromm

Sentinel

#15

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 376

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 12:30
Originally Posted by Twotricks View Post
This is exactly how I felt about DA:O

Glad it's not just me. Thank you.
Dyspaire is offline

Dyspaire

Watcher

#16

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Relative
Posts: 60

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 15:16
I don't see your point. So they can't speak, that doesn't make them stupid. Humans were probably as smart 100000 years ago as they are today, they just lacked the knowledge, maybe their form of communication is through grunts, smell, facial expressions, who knows.
I'm all for having fantasy game/worlds be belieavable, but at least this didn't bother me.
wolfing is online now

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#17

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,191

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 21:51
Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
What killed immersion for me wasn't the concept of the darkspawn - no, it was the lack of meaningful C&C.
What does "C&C" mean here ? I only know this abbreviation as of "Command & Conquer".

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#18

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,935

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 21:58
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What does "C&C" mean here ? I only know this abbreviation as of "Command & Conquer".
Lol… that's always the first thing that comes to my mind as well.

I believe he's referring to "choice and consequence".
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,671

Default 

July 16th, 2010, 21:58
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What does "C&C" mean here ? I only know this abbreviation as of "Command & Conquer".
Choice & Consequences
wolfing is online now

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#20

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,191
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Am I the only one that finds Darkspawn concept unbelivable ?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:47.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch