|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » So long…lurk mode on

Default So long…lurk mode on

October 17th, 2014, 17:30
Folks, it was wonderful talking with several of you over the years. I've decided to pare my participation down to mostly lurker status as I hate the direction the site is going. I might still post in the two or three threads that are actually about crpgs.

RPGWatch is no longer the site it used to be and is almost indistinguishable from any other general gaming site. I hate that the news front page is about phone games, anything that is on kickstarter; even if it has little or no RPG elements, RTS, puzzle games, Steam greenlight, etc. I'm a Windows-based mostly single-player computer role playing game nut, which is what this site and its previous incarnation was founded on, but no longer even resembles IMHO.

I wasn't a big poster anyway, so this shouldn't affect anyone much. I doubt if most will notice my abscence. I just didn't want to bail without an explanation, in case anyone wondered where the nutty guy went. He went looking for cRPG news, that's where

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

October 17th, 2014, 17:33
Hmm, Here is the news from the past two days, I don't quite see what you mean:

Friday - October 17, 2014
09:16
RPGWatch - CT: Demon's Revenge Interview
09:12
Graywalkers - Halfway Through & Comics
09:09
Dead State - Patch 3.5 Hotfixes Released
09:05
Animal Gods - A New Action/Adventure RPG
08:57
That Which Sleeps - Interview @ Cliqist
08:52
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Strategic Preview
08:51
Witcher 3 - Golden Joystick Awards
08:46
Bedlam - Warriors Come Out to Play
08:42
Styx: Master Of Shadows - New Interview
08:39
Worlds of Magic - New Massive Update
08:30
Deathfire - The Nemesis System
08:25
Border: Remembrance - A New Pixel Art ARPG
08:20
Mount & Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest DLC
08:17
Star Traders 2 - First Reward Deliveries
08:13
Lords of the Fallen - New Twitch Stream
08:06
Skyrim - Amusing Collision Glitches
08:03
Dark Souls II - Patch v1.09 Released
07:59
Highlands - Game Mechanics Explained
07:53
Crimea - Indiegogo Update #2
03:58
Everstar - Tactical Party-Based RPG
Thursday - October 16, 2014
20:47
GOG - Baldur's Gate 1&2: Enhanced Edition
20:44
Lords of Xulima - New Content Unlocked
17:25
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Aaryn Flynn Interview
08:06
That Which Sleeps - Milestones & New Races
07:58
Witcher 3 - Video Inteview @ GameranX
07:55
Lords of the Fallen - On Dropping the PS3 & 360
07:53
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Heroine’s Quest Editorial
07:49
Legend of Grimrock 2 - News Roundup
07:39
Age of Grit - Villains Update
07:36
Planet Centauri - A New 2D Sandbox Game
07:31
Battle Brothers - Greenlit on Steam
07:26
Dungeons Of Aledorn - A New Dungeon RPG Game
07:21
GamesIndustry.biz - The Death of Reviews
07:17
Voxel Quest - Funding & New Trailer
07:12
Gabriel Knight Remake - Now Available
07:09
Child Of Light - Best Game I've Played In 2014
Show older news or news at:

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2014, 17:35
The news is definitely more varied in the past, but still seems mostly centered on RPGs to me.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

October 17th, 2014, 17:49
Good luck finding a site that's dedicated to your specific preferences with the kind of people you'd find at the Watch

If you can't be bothered to spend a few seconds setting your eyes upon a title and skipping what's not relevant for you, then you might consider that it's not really the Watch that's going in the wrong direction.

Anyway, I don't like to see anyone go - even the self-centered ones. You've had some amusing contributions in the past, so it'll be a loss.

But have fun!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 17th, 2014, 18:21
But crpgnut cmon.
The news are general and ment for everyone.
You know I'm the first person and perhaps the loudest one when it comes to phonegames. Or look at todays news - some DLC article is there!

So what?
Should I go mad just because by my opinion all DLC are scam?
Some people hate games and love only DLC, some can't believe they actually lived without phonegames, etc.

Please, don't go and don't put us all on ignore. There is no other site on the internet like this one.
If you must do something, ignore the news part. Stay with us at least on the forum.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

+1:

October 17th, 2014, 18:24
I agree with Dart in that it is difficult to find a site specific to maybe 'old school' rpgs.

I think that it is also a fact that many action/adventure/puzzle games that we do enjoy nowadays contain rpg elements.

Couch and other administrators and contributors are doing an excellent job in selecting the appropriate and relevant news for us, from the significant volume of game stuff that is around.

We are also very lucky that we have dedicated staff and contributors providing us with high quality and competent reviews of indie and other high profile rpgs.

It is still a shame to see you only in the background Nut, and hope that we will continue to see your input and views sometime.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

October 17th, 2014, 19:07
crpgnut, not the Watch has changed - the CRPG-world has changed with crowd-funding, early access, GOG and Steam sales etc.
There's a lot more stuff going on and I admire the RPGWatch news guys & gals that they can filter and present all this information for us. Of course not everything is interesting for everybody.
In the last few weeks I made 146 short little reviews for the RPGWatch Steam curation site. And I have still over 30 very interesting games with RPG elements on my Steam wish-list. Not all were covered here.
So I suggest to drink a beer, take a deep breath and stay.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

October 17th, 2014, 19:11
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
the CRPG-world has changed with crowd-funding, early access, GOG and Steam sales etc.
Yes, and all of that has been a big part of the recent resurgence of old-school rpgs. For an rpg fan to complain about the Kickstarter phenomenon seems like biting the hand that feeds you.

"But if it's a battle," he said, "Which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one

October 17th, 2014, 20:41
Sorry to see you go and good luck. I've always enjoyed your comments.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2014, 20:47
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
crpgnut, not the Watch has changed - the CRPG-world has changed with crowd-funding, early access, GOG and Steam sales etc.

There's a lot more stuff going on and I admire the RPGWatch news guys & gals that they can filter and present all this information for us. Of course not everything is interesting for everybody.
Well said HiddenX.

I said it before last year that my focus was now on crowd-funding games. Times have changed, and more interesting indie games are reviving the RPG genre now.

Now I haven't forgotten the large developers either as I post about them every day. I also try to include other platforms sometimes because a few members have asked for it.

Now having said that if you want to just lurk on the site, and post more on the Codex thats your choice. As I can't please every single member on the site.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 17th, 2014, 20:53
I honestly don't understand your argument that this site has changed. Plenty of crpg stuff lately in the news.

If you had writen this when rpgs were suffering from a dry spell before kickstarters i'd have nodded silently, but nowdays there are dozens of small and large rpgs projects and I've lost track of the upcoming crpgs

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

October 17th, 2014, 21:02
I wouldn't mind if the admins wielded the ban-hammer a bit more liberally though. There are few trolls and just plain assholes that the site would be better without. I use the ignore feature, but since I don't auto log in, I see them usually the first time I browse a thread, and new users may be driven off by them.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

October 17th, 2014, 21:11
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
I wouldn't mind if the admins wielded the ban-hammer a bit more liberally though. There are few trolls and just plain assholes that the site would be better without. I use the ignore feature, but since I don't auto log in, I see them usually the first time I browse a thread, and new users may be driven off by them.
I agree and if I could I would ban more members than I have in my two years as a moderator. The problem is the sites policy is to be very lenient on members.

This is often drilled into my head on the private forums as I like to mod the news section to strictly sometimes. It seemed to cause more problems when I did so.

Maybe a better ignore feature is something Arhu can work on if it's possible to do so. It's something to think about as my ignore list is full of mostly Codex trolls.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

October 17th, 2014, 21:40
I think one of the strengths of the Watch is the leniency. It's been my experience that most of the trolls go away, because they don't really feel at home here.

I'm the rare exception, naturally

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 17th, 2014, 21:49
Well now that is not the sort of news I like to see. Hopefully you will stay as I always enjoy good post to read. If not, hope to see you again soon on here.

CelticFrost

Sentinel

October 17th, 2014, 22:10
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I think one of the strengths of the Watch is the leniency. It's been my experience that most of the trolls go away, because they don't really feel at home here.

You keep the other trolls away DArtagnan, so don't be too hard on yourself

On serious note, I agree with DArtagnan on Watch leniency. We should keep it that way and tbh I haven't seen anyone here who deserve a ban.

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

October 17th, 2014, 22:14
Ohh, well at least one less skyrim nut…. got to see everything postive even if you really decide to go, which I hope you don't.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2014, 22:51
He is right, its not the same site. It is like, 10x more! I have been around the site since beginning and the old RPGdot and I love this place more. There was days when there was next to no news sometimes there were several days in a row. Nothing against Gorath but this place rocks now. Couch,Hidden,Aubrielle and all the other people giving reviews have made this my number one online place.
As for trolls, why read in to something when he didn't say that at all? He was pretty precise in his language, he just wants to read about single player CRPG's. He hasn't commented much lately anyhow, all of us need a break from time to time.

Mark my words "He'll be Back!"

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

October 17th, 2014, 23:01
You're only half troll. You have that way of making people wonder, 'was I just insulted?' Hmm, not sure, I think I was… was I? Nah, he thinks I'm ok. Or does he? Hmmm…

Anyway, I don't like to see anyone go - even the self-centered ones. You've had some amusing contributions in the past, so it'll be a loss.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2014, 23:51
Nut, i agree with most of what's already been posted. You and I seem to like similar games and we both prefer to play casters, so I understand where you're at. I have no interest in phone games, console games, and avoid anything to do with Kickstarter (other than D:OS, but then they had a track record) until there is an ACTUAL game there, so when I browse the news headlines I simply skip over anything I'm not interested in and focus on the stuff I like. It's not a difficult skill to develop!! See you in the forums.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » So long…lurk mode on