The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Jo I've got a few scimitars for you. One shocking burst one icy burst two holy. Plus the mithril bp I mentioned yesterday.

I took Mirys out to the desert for her first Bloodstone run. Didn't get crap but still... I am more and more impressed with the power of the Favored Soul class, and equally impressed with the Half-elf race. I have never had such easy solo runs.

WTT +2 quarterstaff of power 9 :)

Any hocus pocus types interested before I sell this stick and buy something sharp?

It's early morning and my brain is still asleep, but what is WTT?

Indeed, I'm trading it for eternal gratitude... ;)

More potential goodies on special:
Spectacles of Spirit Sight (+1 to DC of necro spells, +1 to DC of ench spells)
+1 seeker (+10 seeker) shortbow of deception

I thought about keeping that bow, but it would be better for somebody built to get bow crits. With +10 seeker, you'd crit almost every shot.

More potential goodies on special:
Spectacles of Spirit Sight (+1 to DC of necro spells, +1 to DC of ench spells)
+1 seeker (+10 seeker) shortbow of deception

I thought about keeping that bow, but it would be better for somebody built to get bow crits. With +10 seeker, you'd crit almost every shot.

Seeker doesn't quite work that way.

You still land a critical hit based on the weapon's specs; I think shortbows only crit on a 20, but I am not 100% on that. Seeker is a +10 bonus to confirm that critical you just rolled, as you have to make a second roll to confirm each critical. It also adds +10 damage before multiplier.

It is still a good bow for someone with Improved Critical: Ranged, as that chance of landing a crit would practically be guaranteed, while adding a chunk of damage. And in case of deception, having an additional chance to make the critter vulnerable to sneak attacks even if you have aggro. Without Improved Critical: Ranged, it's a toss up, but the Seeker +10 is not a bad choice regardless.

I decided to post a bit about the Favored Soul class, compared to the standard Cleric. All of the core group I believe has run a Cleric, and thus should know the basics at least.

There are three main differences in Favored spell casting vs Clerical.

1) Favored Souls have only a few spells known, relative. This is not a major issue later, as there are few Divine spells worth taking; most of the time you'll be carrying filler, and swapping based on the situational on a Cleric. This does mean a Favored will have to carry wands/scrolls to cover things they don't carry already, but it's generally very little they can't fit in.

2) Favored get a lot more spell points, and double spell points from items. The Wizardry III trinket my Cleric Aerii has would give 150sp to Mirys, my Favored.

3) Favored have two casting statistics. On paper, this is a disadvantage, in reality, it is not. You can start at 8 CHA, and hit the necessary 19 without any raid gear: 8 (start) + 2 (tome) + 2 (capstone enhancement) + 1 (enhancement) + 6 (item) = 19. +2 tomes are relatively cheap on the DDO store. Most FvS builds dump Charisma entirely, or start with only 2-4 points invested for early access to spells on TRs, and LR later to get those points into more useful statistics.

As such, for an offensively casting Favored, they can ignore CHA, and simply max Wisdom, same as a Cleric. They get both WIS and CHA enhancements, so they are not lacking in this vs a Cleric.

The next main difference is the largest: survivability.

1) Favored Souls get, at levels 5, 10, and 15, feats which grant 10 to a single elemental type; these feats stack with Resist Energy spells and Energy Resistance items. As a result, Mirys has up to 40 Acid and Fire resistance. Electric will likely be my level 15 one.

2) At level 17, they get Wings. Leap of Faith is a spell like ability which, in DDO, allows them to jump extremely high, higher than the normal Jump cap allows. This is why FvS were one of the top classes to use in the Risia ice games last winter.

3) At level 20, they get DR10, which stacks with other sources of DR. Warforged FvS built for combat often have 15DR at this point.

4) They have a full line of Class Toughness enhancements, giving them up to 40 more HP than a Cleric comparably built. As a comparison, had Aerii grown up a Favored Soul, she would have, with identical stats, 372 hp, and about 600 more sp. How many Blade Barriers is that? This is why I've said, Aerii is on her last Cleric life; and my last Cleric.

Finally, they get class feats and enhancements to their combat abilities with their deities' favored weapon. In case of the Warforged Lord of Blades, it is the Greatsword. These include bonuses to-hit, damage, and of course proficiency. Elven Favored Souls often go TWF with Scimitars, as the FvS bonuses stack with the elven Valenar line.

Melee: Favored Souls are better by far, if built for it, than Clerics. Especially as Warforged, whose deity grants one heck of a special for a melee class.

Offensive casting: In terms of effectiveness, both are equal; identical builds will not favor one or the other. The main advantage is the deep sp pool a Favored Soul has, which will let them cast longer, and maintain more of a buffer for healing allies.

Healing: Pure healing goes back to the Cleric, as they get sp free healing, cheaper Empower Healing feat, and a boost to Empower Healing feat with Radiant Servant. Aerii has critically hit, on a Heal, for around 900 points before. A Non-Radiant Servant Cleric however, is at a disadvantage against a Favored Soul, as the deeper SP pool offsets the cheaper Empower Healing, and they also get enhancements to make Empower cheaper, which both brings some parity to the cleric's Empower Healing, and increases their offensive casting ability.

Yes, interesting, BUT while healing and BB are 2 of the most important aspects of clerics/FS (and if I'm in the party Raise Dead) Turning and (for me) Div Vit are almost as important. With the large number of Undead quests in DDO, I think having turning is essential in a balanced party.

While I was waiting for the WoW servers to come back today I was reading this thread and the other DDO one here and decided to download it and give it a go.

I have to say it's a lot more fun than I thought it would be for some reason. The graphics are well done and run very smoothly on my computer...the game-play very addictive for sure.

Still getting used to all the mechanics of the game but I am familiar with D&D 3.5 rules so that helps(thanks NWN2).
Anyways started up a Dwarf Barbarian on Khyber named Warfran, hope to see you folks in-game

Welcome Warmark. Some of us have a few low levels that you'll be able to run with soon, once you get out of Korthos. In my case, Wiindsong the Monk is still level 4.

Corwin, until Radiant Servant hit, turning was useless. It only frightened the undead away for a brief time, unless you were well over level and built specifically for turning (making you weaker in other aspects).

Even now, it's a bonus, not remotely a necessity. I have no issues running undead heavy quests like Delera's Tomb or the Necropolis series with Mirys. You died in Deleras. I've soloed it repeatedly on hard (until the chain became so mind-numbingly boring to me that I refuse to run it ever again, or at least until I at least manage to forget a little bit of it).

Divine Vitality is only a small amount of spell points, and if you didn't throw fireballs at single targets, after we killed them, completely unnecessary. This may seem shocking, but not a single quest in game actually requires a single mana potion. Even raids are run without several trips to the DDO store.

They require mana conservation. I can't use it on myself while on Aerii, yet I can run her into Necropolis Orchard of the Macabre, and rack up over 100 slayer with only using one shrine the entire time. I did this before getting a Spell Storing Ring as well, and still don't have a slot for an sp item, since I go for survivability in my gear choices first and foremost. There's a reason I farm with Aerii; shes more capable of surviving solo than Rachail.

You die because you refuse to wear a CON item. At our level, you can have a +6 CON item, netting +45hp at your level. Minos Legens, +20 hp, and a Greater False Life item netting another 30hp. 95hp, right there, off basic, easily acquired equipment. That's nearly 2/3rds of your existing hp pool. This would also net Heavy Fortification on the Minos.

In reality, we use mana potions and divine vitality to cover up sloppy play. Search you tube for sorcerers soloing quests that we had difficulty on. And not just Warforged either.

Turbine is giving away 100,000 Turbine points for either LotR or DDO. Also, lifetime subscriptions for second place winners, and 1000 points for third place winners.

What would you do with 100,000 points?

Since I own all packs, races, and classes, most of it would sit. I won't buy pots even then, save in extreme circumstances, and sibrys cakes rarely. However, I would buy lesser hearts at will, as I feel the desire to change a build.

I read that the fine print says it's only available to US players!!

I read that the fine print says it's only available to US players!!

I found that out after posting. It seems that Turbine is unwilling to deal with the cost of meeting the myriad of international laws that govern contests which give away something of monetary value.

So it is only useful to Dte, CM, Jo, or me. Moreso to Jo, than anyone else, since CM is VIP already, and Dte and me both own most if not all of whats available anyway.

I'd pick up more character slots and all the races and classes. There's a handful of high-level quests I haven't bought yet, but not much. I suppose the big expenditure would be +2 tomes for every toon. Adding it all up, I don't think I'm much over 30k points, even buying at full price. I suppose at that point I'd buy scads of cure critical potions and mnemonics and bells for the entire guild since those are transferrable.

I'd pick up more character slots and all the races and classes. There's a handful of high-level quests I haven't bought yet, but not much. I suppose the big expenditure would be +2 tomes for every toon. Adding it all up, I don't think I'm much over 30k points, even buying at full price. I suppose at that point I'd buy scads of cure critical potions and mnemonics and bells for the entire guild since those are transferrable.

IIRC, most consumable items from the store, like potions, are bound to account.

Yes they are. So I can't give you any of my bought mana pots. Sorry, Corwin. :) You have to stick with my DV. I feel that DV is actually only useful in low and mid level. At higher level you may have up to 2000 sp and getting maybe 200 back means less then. So all the DV will actually give you back sp for 2-3 spells only. Sometimes it's important, but saving mana as Don says is probably the key.

I just haven't figured out how to do that. I like to cast my offensive cleric spells quickened and maximized. Sometimes it's overkill, but other times I feel it's necessary. Using destruction to deal with archers above us is nice even though I don't have the mana for it. Then it's better to do it and drink a potion. The alternative is to have a plan to get past the archers without getting hit. That's not so easy in a group as chaotic as ours. :)

So it's maybe sloppy play to rely upon potions, but it also allows us to get faster through battles and sometimes we can do a quest on hard instead of normal to get more favor and maybe better loot. So I don't mind spending points on mana pots. I don't like spending them on siberys cakes. Those are really expensive.

The mana potions are less useful in the end game because you only get about 500 mana back per potion. That's 4-5 spells if cast quickened and maximized. So you drink lots of potions if you want to blast your way through the quests. I therefore try to save mana in battles and fight normally. Using radiant servant healing is better. I turn on the mana turbo only in boss fights where time is critical.

I've never done a raid, so I'm curious what the prospects are for running one. Is there some reason other than balance that you need 12 players? Is it possible, with a lot of care and a healer hireling, to solo? I'm planning on running normal, so it's not like I'll be seeing elite battles.

I've done (with Wouldii) the flags for the 2 part raid on Restless Islands and I'd just assume tackle the rest.

In reality, it would be better for corwin or jo (when on her Wiz) to use spells like Disintegrate or Finger of Death or Wail of the Banshee on those out-of-reach archers. Destruction is fine for the job, but Clerics as noted have the responsibility to heal as well as cast offensively.

Radiant Servant Bursts and Aura are awesome, but they come too slow to keep up during fights. Too long a cast time and cool down. I like to chain a burst with a Mass CLW or CMW myself.

Generally, it seems that only some serious boss fights, often on elite runs, require more than Mass CLW/Mass CMW combos. Problem is, we often scatter, making those spells less useful. Spot healing is difficult at any level, and when the melees may be taking 40-50 points of damage per hit, useless in a full group.

As far as offensively casting, Maximize is overkill most of the time. Properly kiting mobs through a Blade Barrier does so much damage so quickly, that only Quicken is really necessary. I usually run around until I get yellow or red Dungeon Alert, drop a Quickened BB, then circle the BB, until everything is dead (or more dead than it already was to begin with). This is how I soloed through a couple of the Inspired Quarter quests.

I think we need to get back in the habit of crowd control as well. Mass Charms, Mass Holds, Greater Commands, etc... whatever it takes to keep groups of critters from hitting the melees while we bring them down. One good mass crowd control spell can save 4-5 mass cure wounds spells and a raise dead. The Summon Monster VIII Air elemental is great at this. Hopefully we'll find a scroll for it soon, so Corwin can load it.

Another thing is using SP-boosting items when we rest, and thus have 100+ more sp for critical buffing. We can swap back to whatever afterward, the buffs remain, and we retain our current total sp, just the maximum drops.

Also, we need to examine what buffs we're running. I think we can pare down to Spell Resistance, Mass Aid (for temp HP, mostly for Corwin and Jo), Greater Heroism, Freedom of Movement, and Blur for most quests. Resists only on things we know will be needed, and adding Mass Deathward, True Sight, and Mass Protection from Energy, among other less needed buffs, as the situation requires.

Some buff spells that Corwin may look into are things like Fireshield. This absorbs 50% of damage taken in from either Fire or cold sources. This also stacks with Resist Energy.

Finally, I don't believe we should run on Elite or Hard even, unless we can be confident we can take it without purchasing significant resources (either off the AH or DDO Store). I for one am tired of spending 150 points on Sibrys Cakes, just for an extra chest full of junk that is worthless. Stuff that doesn't even pay the repair costs for my death(s).

No hirelings are allowed in raids, nor are Sibrys cakes from what I've been told.

Raids are generally more difficult than any comparable at-level 6 man quest. They also have much, much, much better loot than you can get elsewhere, with very few exceptions (Spell Storing Ring, Bloodstone, Minos Legens). Some of them cannot be soloed, sorta like Necro 2 Shadow Lord or Necro 1 Burning Heart. Others, like Tempest Spine, have been. But generally, we're not geared out on our 11th lives with our characters, and loaded with every named item you could want.

Mirys has run a few pugs, as has Rachail. But I haven't really touched Rachail much other than when Peter wants to run his Clerics since about level 12 or so, other than Bloodstone runs, and I can do those much faster on Aerii anyway. I have trouble getting time in on Mirys, since often I'll get called away to run Aerii or Rachail.

At our level, we should have had a few Vault of night and Demon Queen runs under our belt. Possibly a couple of runs through Reaver's Fate (Gianthold raid). Gianthold gives out Dragon Scales, which can make some very nice armor, especially for casters. Blue Dragon Scale Robes FTW!. I think you can get some scales out of Vault of Night as well. In general, we should have several pieces of raid loot right now, which would increase our group's abilities considerably.

Tempest Spine isn't really a full raid, it has no timer, and no flagging required. But it's fun, and great xp for the level. While I don't think we should bother with it now, since we've run well past that level, our TRed characters should definitely head there, and grab some puggies to fill in the ranks as well.

We should, however, all be flagged for both Demon Queen and Vault of Night. And we should be able to pull in some puggers who know it, just ask for a guide when posting the LFM. We are missing a significant portion of DDO by refusing to pug into raids, and consequently we are quickly out leveling our gear. We are past the point where AH/random loot keeps up. Heck, at our level, we should have done at least one Shroud run, and gotten our first Greensteel item started.

Back
Top Bottom