|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » GOP Corruption and Obstruction

Default GOP Corruption and Obstruction

May 20th, 2011, 19:42
Haha, I was confused for a bit. I don't really like special interest group contributions either (esp. from oil companies), but I'm not sure how you could reform the situation w/o running into constitutional issues.

Rithrandil

I bent my wookie

May 20th, 2011, 19:45
I just don't think we should be giving companies the same rights as individuals. The current laws doing so are not in the constitution.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 20th, 2011, 19:54
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I just don't think we should be giving companies the same rights as individuals. The current laws doing so are not in the constitution.
I agree with you on both points. Yeah, that hurt a little bit.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

May 20th, 2011, 20:30
Indeed. Corporations shouldn't have the same level of protections as individual citizens do (at least when it comes to things like the Bill of Rights).

Rithrandil

I bent my wookie

September 7th, 2011, 20:35
Here's a fun article from a ex-GOP staffer who left DC in disgust (source: de codex)

http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all…ult/1314907779
To those millions of Americans who have finally begun paying attention to politics and watched with exasperation the tragicomedy of the debt ceiling extension, it may have come as a shock that the Republican Party is so full of lunatics. To be sure, the party, like any political party on earth, has always had its share of crackpots, like Robert K. Dornan or William E. Dannemeyer. But the crackpot outliers of two decades ago have become the vital center today.
Republican Party would use the debt limit vote, an otherwise routine legislative procedure that has been used 87 times since the end of World War II, in order to concoct an entirely artificial fiscal crisis. Then, they would use that fiscal crisis to get what they wanted, by literally holding the US and global economies as hostages. The debt ceiling extension is not the only example of this sort of political terrorism. Republicans were willing to lay off 4,000 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) employees, 70,000 private construction workers and let FAA safety inspectors work without pay, in fact, forcing them to pay for their own work-related travel - how prudent is that? - in order to strong arm some union-busting provisions into the FAA reauthorization.
A couple of years ago, a Republican committee staff director told me candidly (and proudly) what the method was to all this obstruction and disruption. Should Republicans succeed in obstructing the Senate from doing its job, it would further lower Congress's generic favorability rating among the American people. By sabotaging the reputation of an institution of government, the party that is programmatically against government would come out the relative winner.
Yep, Repubs say government doesn't work. Then get elected and fuck up. Imagine that.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 11th, 2011, 20:18
You know, I'm a registered Republican, and I'm noderate in my view, leaning toward being fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

I cannot, in all honesty, defend the actions of my party for quite some time now, and it appears that things are getting worse. The party ha gone hard right and driven off most of the more centrist members. It looks like it's going to be another "choose the better of the bad" candidates presidential election.

Jhari

Watchdog

September 12th, 2011, 00:54
Originally Posted by Jhari View Post
It looks like it's going to be another "choose the better of the bad" candidates presidential election.
Since Rick Perry is still favorite it seems that your plan isn't working Jhari is it? Or do you think that he IS "better of the bad"?

zahratustra

SasqWatch

September 12th, 2011, 02:41
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Finally someone says it but I'm sad to say the corporations own are asses. Money controls the world and just look at apple they worth more than the government. The corporations control the politicians with money and backroom deals.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 12th, 2011, 03:48
If corporations have the same rights as individuals they have the same obligations, too. Jury duty for GE? Draft for BP?

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

September 12th, 2011, 03:59
Originally Posted by Jhari View Post
leaning toward being fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
Perhaps you should become Libertarian.
http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/

Michael Ellis

Watcher

October 11th, 2011, 18:47
Looks like the GOP is bound and determined to hurt the economy to score political points.

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-republi…123504198.html

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 11th, 2011, 19:10
I knew that was coming when I read the article earlier today. I notice that you're kinda glossing over the reasons why people on both sides of the aisle don't support this particular bill, but I guess that's to be expected.

Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

October 11th, 2011, 19:16
The reasons are pure obstructionism and you know it , DTE. You can put lipstick on pig, but it's still a pig.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 11th, 2011, 19:28
Let's see. We're in debt up to our eyeballs. Obama wants to spend $460B we don't have for Stimulus v2.0, after Stimulus v1.0 had limited (at best) success. Why would anyone oppose that? Must be obstruction.

dteowner

Shoegazer

October 11th, 2011, 19:41
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Stimulus v1.0 had limited (at best) success
Except that is a lie DTE. But go on ahead flouncing ideology rather than reality.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 11th, 2011, 19:59
If you're going to use the word "lie", I'd like to see some conclusive proof, champ. Preferably not Michael Moore, but if that's the best you can find, I might be willing to accept even that.

dteowner

Shoegazer

October 11th, 2011, 20:10
Since you said otherwise first, it's up to you to prove that what you said isn't horseshit. But if regurgitating Rush Limbaugh, the Daily Caller, or Faux News is all you have, then I wouldn't be surprised.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 11th, 2011, 20:19
What measure do you like?

Unemployment went UP.
Economic growth showed no significant bounce.
Public service (teachers, police, fire) employment did not increase.

Shall I continue?

dteowner

Shoegazer

October 11th, 2011, 20:48
Because it wasn't enough. You'd be out picking trash cans if it hadn't happened.

But seriously unemployment would have been worse, economic growth would have been worse, and public service would have been worse without the stimulus DTE.

Stupid points, DTE.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 11th, 2011, 21:17
So, your documentation is unsupported supposition about "what would have been"? I give you numbers and you give me fortune telling. And on this basis, you're going to call me a liar?

dteowner

Shoegazer

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics & Religion » GOP Corruption and Obstruction