|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyclopean - Interview @ Critical Gamer

Default Cyclopean - Interview @ Critical Gamer

February 9th, 2010, 02:02
UK site Critical Gamer has interviewed Cyclopean developer Scott about the game and his preferences. Here's a sample:
CG: Itís clear from the posts youíve made on your forums that youíre not happy with many RPG staples. What are you changing and why? Which of your ideas would you most like other companies to pick up on?

Scott: Iíll stick with these three things:

I dislike dialogues where you choose from a selection of clichéd responses that have no actual impact on the game, or navigate to and from a menu of questions and answers. These antediluvian RPG conventions are nothing like real life conversations, and only barely distinguish dialogue from reading a message on a billboard.

I dislike FedEx quests and other meaningless in-game busywork. Go collect ten stalks of wheat from this field. What is that? It is a chore. The developer is making the player perform an uninteresting task as a build up to some fun gameplay which hopefully will be introduced later on. Shouldnít the developer at least attempt to make the whole game fun?

Lastly, I prefer turn-based combat to real time. There are precious few true turn-based RPGs these days. Real-time-with-pause has become a common RPG compromise, but to me is completely dissatisfying. If Iím in charge of a group of NPCs with different skills and strengths, I want turn-based control. I enjoy watching attacks play out one at a time instead of trying to track a confused, start-and-stop melee. On the other hand, if Iím playing a shooter-style action game, I want action.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 9th, 2010, 02:02
This game is sounding like it may be a must have for the cthulhu-heads. A chance to be a cultist? What will Mom say!

Initially bummed that it sounds like we wont be seeing any shoggoths and such lurching around, but the way he's proposing doing it sounds pretty cool too.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 9th, 2010, 13:46
All i can say is the developer sounds refreshing and i agree with him on just about everything he said about the majority of RPG pap about today with fedex quests and tedious going nowhere dialogue.

Here's hoping these guys kick the door in.

Coldcall

Watcher

February 9th, 2010, 14:28
I really hope this will be finished.
All of its writing previews were really good and the overall concept sounds original and intriguing.
Now, the sanity system mentioned in the interview, thatīs, at least on paper, pure coolness!

What you think about most, is what you become.

DeepO

deep outside

February 9th, 2010, 15:30
Loved the bit about getting corrupted. I am usually a notorious goody two-shoes in my RPG's but it sounds very tempting to go the cult route in Cyclopean - that should really be pretty unique.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

February 9th, 2010, 17:52
I am looking very much forward to this game. Unfortunately I will probably be able to finish Grimiore before this one is released.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyclopean - Interview @ Critical Gamer