Dragon Age - Return to Ostagar Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
MTV looks at Return to Ostagar and says "you're better off staying at home":
Even if you've just picked up "Dragon Age: Origins," this DLC isn't worth your time. Another piece of DLC, "Warden's Keep," has decent armor in it, as well as presents fiction that is much more compelling than this. If you've already conquered the all that is offered in the game, well, you're definitely not missing anything here. "Return to Ostagar" adds almost nothing to the fiction, and doesn't even offer up worthwhile loot.
More information.

I didn't think it was too bad, it felt like a decent addition for when you're in the middle of the game. Ofcourse when you're at or near the end, it can look a bit pointless.

Even though i quite like DAO, and have played through about 3 times now, i find the DLC policy really insulting.

The two DLCs which are charged about $5 each (Wardens Keep and now RTO) combine to give a player about another 90-120 minutes content. So thats $10 for 2 more hours gameplay. Thats just a crap deal no matter how one looks at it.

Had people paid the same amount for the vanilla game on a pro-rate basis the reatil version would have cost approx $200. Thats 40 hours x $5 per hour as is the cost of the DLCs.

If they keep this up they will just encourage more software piracy, and we will see a similar problem as occured and almost ruined the reatil CD music industry.

Its just greed charging that amount for a nothing DLC.

Watch them do the same with ME2. Its a goddam disgrace.

The Stone prison dlc that came with the vanilla game was solid work. I'd have easily paid it if it wasn't already part of the game. Shale is a terrific addition to the party and its great how the dlc has been incorporated flawlessly into main storyline. I suspect they could have just as easily had shale in the game without any dlc hashle ) Likely they only wanted people to create a bioware account..good carrot that was.

So I bought warden's keep dlc like many here. I thought it was quite fun and had an intresting story. Gameplay stuff was also a blast (Extra skills, cool loot, a fun combat etc). My only grip was that you never got see in warden's keep in it former glory. I found it really odd that after the dlc's combat partition was finished you never got the opportunity to go back inside the castle. They should have continued the storyline from that point by allowing player to move funds into his keep's repairs. Not to mention training new warden recruits and hireing new servants. That way the keep would have a purpose once more.

THis whole DLC stuff is still quite new. Companies are still testing the market to see what kind of work they need to put in the market and get profit/happiness from it, and what kind of content the fan-base is happy with.

Don't be so hasty as to judge pioneer companies like bioware for putting DLC content at those prices because i'm quite sure they are testing the market to see how far they can go to please the market and get profits.

As the data starts coming in and they continue to have reviews like this one that clearly says "little content for the money", i'm sure they will up their standards and start delivering more content - The market for DLC is still too yong, i'm sure we'll see adjustments.

For me, i havent bought a single DLC for DA:O nor Borderlands. The content/price ratio is still way too low for my standards and i'm sure if more and more people realise that, the companies have 2 options:

a) Stop delivering DLC because its not worth it
b) Start delivering more and more quality content adding more value for money

I hope for b) personaly. I have no problem spending €5 - € 10 for more content of my favorite games, if that means i can play for 10 hours more, but i'm not spending € 5,00 in content i end in 30minutes and add nothing to the end of the game.

:)

The two DLCs which are charged about $5 each (Wardens Keep and now RTO) combine to give a player about another 90-120 minutes content. So thats $10 for 2 more hours gameplay. Thats just a crap deal no matter how one looks at it.
It took me 4 hours, but yeah, it's still not worth it.
They should have continued the storyline from that point by allowing player to move funds into his keep's repairs. Not to mention training new warden recruits and hireing new servants.
Training new recruits would make the main story nonsensical, although it would be interesting to see if Avernus has made any progress (in case you let him live), he does say he'll contact the player if he does…

Back
Top Bottom