|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 3 - Developer Diary, Screens, X10 Info

Default Fable 3 - Developer Diary, Screens, X10 Info

February 13th, 2010, 01:48
There's a Fable III video developer diary over at G4TV with information from the X10 event, what I believe are the first actual screens at Shacknews and 1Up says the game won't have a HUD at all, which is apparently the "controversial" feature Molyneux hinted at a while back.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 13th, 2010, 01:48
No health bar, no HUD at all. No experience points. No traditional levelling up system. You will "level up" by using your weapons, and the weapons will "morph" and become stronger with use. At least that's how I understand it.

"In the laws of nature, an intelligence so superior is revealed that in comparison all the significance of human thinking and human arrangements is a completely worthless reflection." - Einstein

Anderson

Consolized

February 13th, 2010, 02:05
Well its really unrealistic to ask people to pay attention to something as complex and brain taxing as a couple of colored bars …

How is it that red lines on a screen or fading to black as a half-arsed health meter in every friggin game these days is considered innovative?

dagoo7

Watchdog

February 13th, 2010, 02:14
The orginal Fable left such a foul taste in my mouth that I can't bring myself to even consider any of the sequels.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2010, 02:49
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The orginal Fable left such a foul taste in my mouth that I can't bring myself to even consider any of the sequels.
that open mindedness made you miss a pretty good game in part 2

rune_74

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2010, 03:26
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
that open mindedness made you miss a pretty good game in part 2
Wouldn't have mattered… them not porting it to the PC would have made me miss it anyways.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2010, 04:47
Wouldn't have mattered… them not porting it to the PC would have made me miss it anyways.
You didn't miss much anyway, it was basically Fable 1.01.

Rake

Traveler

February 13th, 2010, 05:34
Never can understand the negative visceral reaction to Peter M and his Fable Games. I tried both games, never finished either of them. I think Peter M definatley loves to grand stand and puts his foot in his own mouth at an embarrasing frequency. Still, I also see him as sort of an explorer of game design and there aren't a lot of other people really that have the philosophical approach to game design that he does. I think there's a good chance someday this guy will crank out something truely fantastic. Populous back in the 80s was a really great game for the time.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2010, 06:27
Fable has some gorgeous artwork, some fairly witty bits, good voice acting for the most part, and the hint of some truly groundbreaking design. However, I do have to say that those games bored the pants off of me. Everything that seemed cool and interesting was either half-done or done ad-nauseum. Too simple, really; but I do have to say my son really enjoys both games and I can see what he likes about them, I just don't find the same enjoyment. Being led around by the nose into combat where the player is basically in god-mode makes me just want to watch a movie instead…I feel just as involved.

Michael Dean

Watchdog

February 13th, 2010, 06:36
Fable, to me, serves as something of a distraction from time to time when I'm just looking for a way to have a little fun for a few hours.

It's decent and, as pointed out by Dean, has certain witty dialogues and what not that makes it amusing. I'll probably pick up Fable 3, though I have to admit I don't really like what I've heard so far.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

February 13th, 2010, 16:43
Looks like it is going to be even crappier then the first 2 games. I disliked the first game from the beginning and almost didn't even try the second game. With the second game it was really good in the beginning but then when I got to adulthood it became the same crap from the first game.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

February 13th, 2010, 17:18
I played through Fable 1 and to me it was quick but not in any way memorable entertainment. Ending up with blue lines all over my avatar's face was kinda odd, but it had too much of a children's amusement park feeling to it for my taste.

Then, from what I read about the storyline of Fable 2 and how it forces you to continuously choose between evil and stupid without alternatives, I would not have enjoyed it even if they had made a port to the PC, and now I very much doubt that Fable 3 will make me want to buy a console.

coyote

Sentinel

February 13th, 2010, 19:15
Fable is like cotton candy — amusing and colorful, it goes down easy and has no nutritional value whatsoever.

Expectations are key. If you expect a serious RPG, you are going to be badly disappointed. If you expect an easy, lighthearted game with some RPG features (less so with #3), then you might like it. Just remember that their intention is to make a game accessible to all, particularly those who do not play RPGs and do not even like RPGs — every child and his grandmother.

Anderson

Consolized

February 13th, 2010, 19:26
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
Just remember that their intention is to make a game accessible to all
I agree. That's why I wasn't particularly surprised when they announced Fable 3 will utilize Microsoft's 'Project Natal' technology.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2010, 19:45
Now I'm going to have to get up off my couch to fart? Come on.

Anderson

Consolized

February 14th, 2010, 05:49
Why is this game even getting coverage around here? Fable 2 wasn't released on Pc, yet some console 'fanboy' takes the time to post Fable 3 screenshots on RPGwatch. I have zero desire to follow the development of this title on RPGwatch, but that's just me.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

February 14th, 2010, 06:18
Dhruin is a console fanboy?

There are plenty of titles I have no desire to follow, too. I just don't bother reading threads devoted to them. Pretty simple.

p.s. I know this site is PC-centric, but do you cover RPGs that are console-only, and which don't come to PC?
Last edited by Anderson; February 14th, 2010 at 06:30.

Anderson

Consolized

February 14th, 2010, 17:57
Dhruin is a console fanboy?

There are plenty of titles I have no desire to follow, too. I just don't bother reading threads devoted to them. Pretty simple.

p.s. I know this site is PC-centric, but do you cover RPGs that are console-only, and which don't come to PC?
They cover Console RPGs but not JRPGS.

In the 1980s the JRPG tradition split off from the Western RPG traditions of Ultima and Wizardy.

With consoles becoming PC lites (meaning full sound and 3d graphics) instead of truly seperate platforms the Western RPG has found it's way to the concoles.

With the Xbox/PS2 generation some western type RPGs began to make their way to the consoles.

So if the game is made in the western traditions, even if it is console only, it will probably be covered here.

Examples of console-only or initially console-only games that were covered: X-men Legends, Bard's Tale, Knights of the Old Republic.

I'd say the site is Western RPG centric.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

February 14th, 2010, 18:36

Kind of an odd question isn't it? Just look at what this thread is about.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 14th, 2010, 21:46
Originally Posted by JuliusMagnus View Post
They cover Console RPGs but not JRPGS.
[…]
So if the game is made in the western traditions, even if it is console only, it will probably be covered here.

Examples of console-only or initially console-only games that were covered: X-men Legends, Bard's Tale, Knights of the Old Republic.

I'd say the site is Western RPG centric.
I see. Thank you for the explanation.

I had noticed the absence of JRPGs…

Kind of an odd question isn't it? Just look at what this thread is about.
Well, Sir Markus' reaction made it sound like an anomaly, and I don't remember ever seeing a console-only title covered before, so I thought I'd ask…

Anderson

Consolized

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 3 - Developer Diary, Screens, X10 Info